The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Yep Mullen is the real deal. We're not that great on depth for goalkeepers going by the performances of Kelly and Clark in recent internationals so I'd imagine if either we get promoted and did well, or Mullen moves to a bigger Premiership club he could be in the conversation.

6 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Not to get too ahead of myself, but looking at individual battles on Friday night it was very interesting to see how Ryan Mullen fared on the same pitch as Liam Kelly. Morton's defensive record with Mullen in goal is excellent and looking at the list of Scottish goalkeepers, what is there to stop Mullen reaching the Scotland squad in the coming years? He's the most comfortable and commanding young goalkeeper I've seen in a long time and I'm only disappointed he only got a 1 year extension. Sky's the limit for him if he keeps improving.

Totally agree. The casual observer on Friday night, if told one of the two keepers on the pitch was in the Scotland squad, would immediately have assumed it was Mullen.

Incredibly calm and assured for a guy with his level of experience; the sky’s the limit if he trains on…

What strikes me about Mullen is that you dont see him having to make many diving saves. I think this is because his positioning and reading of the game is so good.

Disclaimer if he chucks in a goal or 2 on Saturday 🙈🤣

It’s unusual for a goalkeeper so young to be so composed and dominant. He had me a bag of nerves a couple of times when he shouted at his defenders to leave the ball to him to collect. The time the defender ducked and Mullen clutched the ball seemed to sum up his confidence. 

In 1 less league game than McDonald, Mullen has conceded 17 less goals this season. 

Since 2006, as far back as I can see, his league clean sheet record of 65% is by far our best, with 2nd best only 35%ish. Wow.

An absolute hero and a top gentleman. I wasn't fortunate enough to see him play, but I was fortunate enough to be blessed with his presence on a few occasions. Will be sorely missed around the building but a well-earned rest for the big man.

28 minutes ago, Venti said:

Like above said unfortunately I didn’t have the chance to see him play but on a few occasions at hospitality we’ve been outside having a chat about his playing career and life in general the guy really is a true gent 

Thanks for the wonderful memories Andy. I actually changed my job so I would have a Saturday off to watch big Andy play home and away, and it turned out to be the right decision! The skills of
Baxter, Murdoch, Johnstone and Dalglish all rolled into one player.

https://gmfc.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/GMFC-Club-Strategy-2024-2027.pdf

A 3 year strategy published by the club. Hard not to get excited over this. A clear ambitious intent backed up by a plan to achieve it which we're already seeing results from both on and off the park. Morton truly are unrecognisable from just a couple of years ago when we had to listen to Gus McPherson tell us the club couldn't afford a team bus to challenge cup games, I'm enjoying every minute of it. Let's hope Dougie, Dale and the rest of the team get the right backing from above throughout.

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

https://gmfc.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/GMFC-Club-Strategy-2024-2027.pdf

A 3 year strategy published by the club. Hard not to get excited over this. A clear ambitious intent backed up by a plan to achieve it which we're already seeing results from both on and off the park. Morton truly are unrecognisable from just a couple of years ago when we had to listen to Gus McPherson tell us the club couldn't afford a team bus to challenge cup games, I'm enjoying every minute of it. Let's hope Dougie, Dale and the rest of the team get the right backing from above throughout.

To get where you want to go, you need a map. Seeing all this makes me very happy.

16 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I was immediately taken by Dale in his first interview - he came across as one of that all-too-rare breed of highly capable managers who shows focus, decisiveness and determination - but who is also immensely likeable and relateable along with it. I'm pretty sure that the strategy statement has been much to do with this man's vision for our future as a club, and that he's been the driving force behind it. As I watched his first interview, listened to what he said along with the clarity with which he said it - I could immediately see why he'd been given the GM position. Watching this now - it's 100% obvious that it was entirely the correct call - just as Dougie Imrie was when the Board took a punt on absolute managerial unknown. Fair play to the man, and to what he's already achieved in the comparitive blink of an eye.

12 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

I was immediately taken by Dale in his first interview - he came across as one of that all-too-rare breed of highly capable managers who shows focus, decisiveness and determination - but who is also immensely likeable and relateable along with it. I'm pretty sure that the strategy statement has been much to do with this man's vision for our future as a club, and that he's been the driving force behind it. As I watched his first interview, listened to what he said along with the clarity with which he said it - I could immediately see why he'd been given the GM position. Watching this now - it's 100% obvious that it was entirely the correct call - just as Dougie Imrie was when the Board took a punt on absolute managerial unknown. Fair play to the man, and to what he's already achieved in the comparitive blink of an eye.

Completely agree, after many non-starters in the role we've finally landed with someone who encapsulates all that Greenock Morton should be. As he said, he'll be judged on the results of his strategy rather than his words on a PowerPoint, but I've heard enough to throw my full backing behind him. So important that we hold onto him for at least the 3 years.

Steven Boyd has left.

No loss, he was bottom of the lengthy pecking order out wide and clearly wasn't up to the Championship, and considering that he was under contract for next season as well it's good to see him away now rather than taking up a place in the squad.

He never looked interested in my opinion and you have to wonder why he has basically chucked football at this stage in the season.. 

Showed very brief flashes of quality in his time with us and we have other options in his position.

Always wondered about his "injury" ?  No great loss