The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Just now, Paisley Ton said:

I am having trouble reading articles on or web pages.

Seems to overlay with contact us form.

Does anyone know what it says re capacity tonight?

Cowshed - 2,500 (Sinclair Street included on the assumption that folk will go into the shed due to the weather; so only the Shed's capacity is in use.)

Stand - 1,000

Away - 3,000 (~2,000 sold)

Total - 6,700 (including hospitality, disabled bay, etc.) - At least 5,700 sold by my count.

19 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Cowshed - 2,500 (Sinclair Street included on the assumption that folk will go into the shed due to the weather; so only the Shed's capacity is in use.)

Stand - 1,000

Away - 3,000 (~2,000 sold)

Total - 6,700 (including hospitality, disabled bay, etc.) - At least 5,700 sold by my count.

I am on my way. Looks like we we will have a great night, love crowds under the lights only need to beat the road works!!

Just watched the game tonight, and I doff my cap to an outstanding performance from Morton. Made a premier team look very ordinary. 
great game for the neutral to watch. 

Well Morton what can I say as a fan of one of your rivals,    fucking well done sums it up pretty well I think..

Watched that on the box the pitch and the Grand old Lady looked great,  Cappielow is one of the few bastions left of a happier time in Scottish Football,   I took in our Trust Trophy cup tie against  your selves behind enemy lines in the cowshed and was one of my most enjoyable afternoons of the season ,  where football should be played..

Right enough of the niceties,  I am away to put my money on Imrie to Ross County what's the odds......

Removing my rivals hat, it would be a welcome and refreshing change if Dougie Imrie could give you at least another full season.   At this stage in his career, it would seem mutually beneficial for him not to jump ship too early.  He comes across as a resolute character and the good vibe at Cappielow is evident, even on the telly.  As for his fashion sense, I admire a man who picks his own kecks.

40 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Well Morton what can I say as a fan of one of your rivals,    fucking well done sums it up pretty well I think..

Watched that on the box the pitch and the Grand old Lady looked great,  Cappielow is one of the few bastions left of a happier time in Scottish Football,   I took in our Trust Trophy cup tie against  your selves behind enemy lines in the cowshed and was one of my most enjoyable afternoons of the season ,  where football should be played..

Right enough of the niceties,  I am away to put my money on Imrie to Ross County what's the 

No chance.

When you track the careers of managers from Scottish clubs, McInnes, Coyle, Neill, etc. The lucrative path is down south. A four year contract on , in relative terms a massive increase in salary and then if they do well the rewards are even greater and if they don't,  get sacked with a very substantial pay off and back up the road to start again. 

Dougie Imrie will leave Morton at some time in the future, hopefully after another season at least and if/when he does going south barring an offer from one of the top four paying clubs in Scotland is the way to go. 

With due respect his ambitions should be far beyond Inverness, Ross County etc and his track record so far in a relatively short managerial career would suggest he can/will achieve much more.

In the meantime he seems very content at Morton and we are more than content to have him.

It's obviously a matter of time until Imrie gets a move elsewhere. I'd had a bit of a concern for a while, which has now been banished by the new contract, that he might even end up leaving for another Championship club at some point.

The combination of Morton (and Imrie himself) being seen as unfashionable with the football he has us playing being unfairly dismissed as hoofball meaning the deserved top flight offers haven't come his way already, and concerns about our low budget could have had him looking at something fans would furiously protest as a sideways move as a better chance for future career  progression. He's just after saying through the week that we have the lowest budget in the division again this season, and it wouldn't have been a totally wild prospect for a manager to think "I've done this well with the lowest budget in the league and not gotten offers from a higher level, look what I'll do with the 3rd or 4th biggest budget."

That concern is totally gone with the new contract, he wouldn't have signed up until 2026 if he was that desperate to get away he'd consider other Championship clubs, but I'd be surprised if there weren't also assurances in that contract about offers from higher levels. We're in a good position for the playoffs here but promotion is still a very long shot, and if a bottom six more often that not side like Ross County or Motherwell (Hamilton connections notwithstanding) have stayed up and are looking for a new manager in the summer while we're still down here, he's going to go if he's offered it.

You don't get offered the Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen jobs straight out of the Championship, and managers with an eye on England will get far better moves down there if they've proved themselves in the top flight first. He'll leave eventually and hopefully we get next season out of him as well, but I'll be very surprised if he sees this contract out.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because it would be miraculous work by the board to do two in a row and get a replacement anywhere near this good.

Of course Dougie will move on at some point. But right now he's a manager who is getting the best out of his squad of players. We haven't actually won anything or made the playoffs. 

Maybe that's why bigger teams are apprehensive of making a move - its just a tad too early to take the gamble

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

We're in a good position for the playoffs here but promotion is still a very long shot, and if a bottom six more often that not side like Ross County or Motherwell (Hamilton connections notwithstanding) have stayed up and are looking for a new manager in the summer while we're still down here, he's going to go if he's offered it.

I just don't see him at either of those clubs, for different reasons in each case.

From his own perspective, the best course of action would be to turn 'promise' into achievement with us as a platform for something better in Scotland... or something in England that would be so lucrative it would justify the upheaval.

Dream scenario, of course, is that we gub 'bottom six more often than not' Ross County in the play-off final...

Dougie on great form on Sportscene at the Airdrie v Hearts match.

Q. 'How would you like Lawrence Shankland in your team' 

A. 'I'm fine I've got big George Oakley'

Edited by Mr Toon
Typo

11 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

Dougie on great form on Sportscene at the Airdrie v Hearts match.

Q. 'How would you like Lawrence Shankland in your team' 

A. 'I'm fine I've got big George Oakley'

Don't care what he has achieved since - should never darken our door again.

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Don't care what he has achieved since - should never darken our door again.

A tad harsh, always thought there was a player in there problem being we paid him in big macs.

Apologies if I missed a part of the story.

1 hour ago, Paisley Ton said:

A tad harsh, always thought there was a player in there problem being we paid him in big macs.

Are you for real? 

The day that overweight and/or disinterested players are given a free pass for not giving even close to their all for this professional football club - see also McKay, Barrie - is the day that we reappoint Jonatan Johansson, Gus McPherson or any of those other gutless, loser managers.

The lesson of the past two years is that standards of both application and performance have to be set. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Oh there was a player in there and with an ounce of effort and an attitude that didn't stink he might have shown some of it.

But yeah that's Morton's fault.

Not to get too ahead of myself, but looking at individual battles on Friday night it was very interesting to see how Ryan Mullen fared on the same pitch as Liam Kelly. Morton's defensive record with Mullen in goal is excellent and looking at the list of Scottish goalkeepers, what is there to stop Mullen reaching the Scotland squad in the coming years? He's the most comfortable and commanding young goalkeeper I've seen in a long time and I'm only disappointed he only got a 1 year extension. Sky's the limit for him if he keeps improving.