The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I don’t disagree with you. My point was that had we finished 4th he would still be there. His removal does not signal a new dawn where the quality of the squad and the football product are the primary focus.  Under the sustainability model any loss this year, including any severance package, will most likely be funded in whole ir in part from next years budget. So don’t expect the Board as currently configured to make a top notch managerial appointment coupled with the setting of a promotion chasing squad building budget . 

59 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

No. Next.

No. Next.

Don't be so defensive. It was a genuine question! 

Apart from Brechin, Dumbarton & Livingston, who's budget in the Championship was lower? QOTS? They've been fairly established in the Championship for a while though.

I'm not defending or criticising Duffy or Morton as I haven't seen enough of them to comment but based of my perception of budgets I'd expect Dundee Utd, St Mirren, Falkirk and Dunfermline to all be stronger than them and jockeying for position with ICT and QOTS......which kind of leaves them around about the league position they finished in.

Who are the front-runners (if anyone) for the job at the minute? I had a quick look on McBookie but couldn't find any odds.

Don’t think the bookies offer odds on anything Morten related anymore due to the high chance of insider betting from the club.

I don’t disagree with you. My point was that had we finished 4th he would still be there. His removal does not signal a new dawn where the quality of the squad and the football product are the primary focus.  Under the sustainability model any loss this year, including any severance package, will most likely be funded in whole ir in part from next years budget. So don’t expect the Board as currently configured to make a top notch managerial appointment coupled with the setting of a promotion chasing squad building budget . 

Most of us who wanted Duffy gone feared, based on history and his preposterous new contract, that we will be saddled with Duffy for another season.

With a (official) changing of the guard at the top with Dougie stepping down, quick, decisive, ruthless action on the manager front and rumours abound, a wee bit of quiet optimism is setting in (I know, in true Morton fashion that is more than likely to be undone quickly but for now, we can enjoy it).

We await the statement of future direction/targets/intentions that was promised in Dougie's resignation statement. We await talk of a new manager and squad building.

The answers to those, as you say, could turn out to be sustainably disappointing. But for now, there's a few green shoots of hope.

That hope may yet kill us, but for a few days at least, it's definitely more positive than we expected to be happening right now.

25 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Who are the front-runners (if anyone) for the job at the minute? I had a quick look on McBookie but couldn't find any odds.

None really, just loads of speculation, tinternet rumour and personal opinion.

To give you an idea, i've seen the following mentioned.

-Good- Billy Davies, Robbie Neilson, Jim McIntyre, David Hopkin, Stuart McCall.

Meh-  Steve Aitken, John Hughes,  Peter Houston,  Ray McKinnon, Derek Anderson( current Academy Director)

No Thanks- Ally McCoist, Barry Ferguson,  Ian Murray, Billy Stark,  Brian Wake ( just for VT) 

Edited by madton

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Most of us who wanted Duffy gone feared, based on history and his preposterous new contract, that we will be saddled with Duffy for another season.

With a (official) changing of the guard at the top with Dougie stepping down, quick, decisive, ruthless action on the manager front and rumours abound, a wee bit of quiet optimism is setting in (I know, in true Morton fashion that is more than likely to be undone quickly but for now, we can enjoy it).

We await the statement of future direction/targets/intentions that was promised in Dougie's resignation statement. We await talk of a new manager and squad building.

The answers to those, as you say, could turn out to be sustainably disappointing. But for now, there's a few green shoots of hope.

That hope may yet kill us, but for a few days at least, it's definitely more positive than we expected to be happening right now.

Was about to post something very similar.

The statement of intent, still have ambition of Premiership etc is something we haven't heard in awhile so I'm curious to know how the next few weeks pans out. The board changes and the expected Easdales coming on board i think is a positive too. Seems like there is a change of attitude down Cappielow way and if its for the better, I'm sure all  fans will jump on board with it.

All that goes out the window if McCoist is in the hot seat next week right enough!

A good, strong manager is an absolute must!

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

We shall see what Crafords statement contains. Dougie’s said he left C the job of managing the clubs finances and nothing else about his role.

At the end of the day while Dougie is the main shareholder in Golden Casket he will remain a director and in control.

Douglas Rae's abdication and the coronation of his boy as his successor smells a lot like the Dundee United saga all over again.

Morton fans should be wary of anticipating a bright future. Duffy's removal is likely to be stage one of a massive cost-cutting exercise by a new man in charge who doesn't give a flying f*ck about Morton. Protecting his personal financial legacy will be his motivation.

10 minutes ago, madton said:

None really, just loads of speculation, tinternet rumour and personal opinion.

To give you an idea, i've seen the following mentioned.

-Good- Billy Davies, Robbie Neilson, Jim McIntyre, David Hopkin.

Meh-  Steve Aitken, John Hughes,  Peter Houston,  Ray McKinnon, Derek Anderson( current Academy Director)

No Thanks- Ally McCoist, Barry Ferguson,  Ian Murray, Billy Stark,  Brian Wake ( just for VT) 

McIntyre looks the most realistic shout there I'd say. Not hugely exciting, but would do a decent job.

Controversially I'd probably prefer to have Murray than Aitken in your position - if (and it's a massive if) you could get the right guy in alongside him. Reading your threads this season (playing best players out of position, sticking with a non-goalscoring strikeforce and a formation that simply doesn't work) sounds like a carbon copy of watching us since about December.

Don't be so defensive. It was a genuine question! 

Apart from Brechin, Dumbarton & Livingston, who's budget in the Championship was lower? QOTS? They've been fairly established in the Championship for a while though.

I'm not defending or criticising Duffy or Morton as I haven't seen enough of them to comment but based of my perception of budgets I'd expect Dundee Utd, St Mirren, Falkirk and Dunfermline to all be stronger than them and jockeying for position with ICT and QOTS......which kind of leaves them around about the league position they finished in.

It's a good job relative budgets does not automatically equate to placings or there would be no playing. And Dundee Utd would have romped the league, Livi would have been nowhere near 2nd, Falkirk wouldn't have stunk the place out and Brechin would have won a couple of games.

The budget was fine. We retained the majority of a squad that achieved the playoffs a year prior. We enhanced it. Duffy blew it.

Duffy wasn't canned for finishing 7th as such. He was canned for having 2ND place in our own hands a mere 9 weeks ago, sinking us from that position to 7th and writing off a quarter of a million pounds in prize money in the process

You were just next in a long line of boring ill-informed posters who think expectations were met and Duffy was doing a good job. Read the thread. There are plenty of concise posts detailing why Duffy was emptied