The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

He's not just talking about size of club, he's talking about who can pay more money. If he's not saying they can offer more than Morton, he's saying they can offer more than the sides they're replacing. In the full context of the article it makes more sense that he's comparing them directly to us, and looking at the business Hamilton are doing it's less likely that Airdrie can compete with Cove and Hamilton on wages than Morton.

It's pretty clear Imrie's saying that Airdrie are paying more than we can for some players; that doesn't necessarily translate to them having a bigger budget overall but I don't think there's really any ambiguity around him saying that they can at the very least compete with us financially.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's pretty clear Imrie's saying that Airdrie are paying more than we can for some players;

Still don't think he actually is. He literally just listed the 3 newcomers to the league.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Still don't think he actually is. He literally just listed the 3 newcomers to the league.

It could easily be read either way.  I took it as meaning that the 3 clubs new to the league have more to spend than the ones they are replacing.  A couple of folk on the Airdrie thread were saying that we had made an offer to Adam Frizzell and he had chosen to stay with them instead, so if true it is possible that Dunning is right and this is what Dougie was alluding to.

That said, even if we did offer Frizzell less than Airdrie, that doesn't necessarily mean they have a bigger budget than us, it could just be a case of them being willing to spend a bigger proportion of their budget on him than we were.

25 minutes ago, Vril said:

That said, even if we did offer Frizzell less than Airdrie, that doesn't necessarily mean they have a bigger budget than us, it could just be a case of them being willing to spend a bigger proportion of their budget on him than we were.

I would concur with this interpretation.

On 05/07/2023 at 11:57, port-ton said:

Game was abandoned as he had to wait for the ambulance to arrive for a dislocated knee. 

It's worse for Doyle because he was only on trial for training purposes with no hope of winning a contract and now his season is potentially in danger with no contract. 

Doyle has posted a video re his injury on Facebook. His kneecap popped out and the doctor took three goes to put it back in.

Sounding typically positive about it, so I'm sure we'll see him back playing as soon as he's able. Wouldn’t surprise me if it's back at Alloa.

On 04/07/2023 at 16:50, Central Belt Caley said:

Would never wish bad on any former player, but he wasn’t up to this level in a Caley shirt. A gust of wind would blow him off the ball and always took 5 touches too many. 

Maybe Imrie can get a tune out of him but very telling that most (if not all) of our fans were glad to see the back of him. 

Yeah, I'd say this was his main weakness at Alloa too. He's got decent pace and can finish, but I can't see him being a starter at Morton. You never know of course and I hope he does well.

Think he'll do better through the middle.

3 hours ago, Vril said:

Think you're bang on with this assessment. Friz is absolutely central to how we play, whereas he'd be a valuable but not essential player with you guys, so makes sense we would push the boat out to get him. 

If be stunned if we were even in a similar budget range to you guys, never mind larger. It would certainly be the polar opposite of the prudent finances of recent seasons.

As mentioned by another contributor - fair play to supporters of Alloa, Annan and Airdrie for engaging in a civilised and respectful conversation about fitba. But every team sadly has its roasters, and I stand by waiting for our very own Toby to red-card this.

On 06/07/2023 at 21:51, printer said:

Yeah, I'd say this was his main weakness at Alloa too. He's got decent pace and can finish, but I can't see him being a starter at Morton. You never know of course and I hope he does well.

Think he'll do better through the middle.

Dougie has said tonight that he will have been disappointed with the amount of game time he had at Inverness and that he will get more game time at Morton.

With him being involved in 33 of their 36 league games, I wouldnt be surprised if Dougie sees him as more of a starter for us, possibly ahead of McGrattan on the left.

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Not want to have a guess first?

I would guess that he is suggesting St Mirren weren't very good or we were very good but there are other possibilities. 

Who started at right back or any other relevant info would be of interest. 

Irrespective 2 - 0 is a good score.

That game was well worth the money! Pretty bold move by Dougie bringing all those trialists on in the one go!

Total embarrassment for the Midden playing against players who are doubtful to be offered contracts. 

Of the trialists the wee number 11 looks really decent and in my opnion should be offered a contract.

Our keeper actually impressed me and would feel confident going into the season as our No. 1

Boyd looked good too. 

What a goal it would have been if big Robbies screamer had hit the net. 

Happy days..  

1 minute ago, Colkitto said:

That game was well worth the money! Pretty bold move by Dougie bringing all those trialists on in the one go!

Total embarrassment for the Midden playing against players who are doubtful to be offered contracts. 

Of the trialists the wee number 11 looks really decent and in my opnion should be offered a contract.

Our keeper actually impressed me and would feel confident going into the season as our No. 1

Boyd looked good too. 

Happy days..  

Aye Robbie's freekick was something else tbf to him 

Boyd was really impressive as was Mullen. The wee trialist (Deane) was pretty calm on the ball. Plus it's funny seeing someone about 4ft 5 running next to a 6ft 6 guy.

5 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

How did that Brandon get on? 

Hard to tell, put himself about but I'm not convinced t be honest. Crowd lapped him up and he seemed to really enjoy the occasion  

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Boyd looked good too. 

Happy days..  

Was the wee number 11 Frankie Deane?