The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

He's been training with Kilmarnock for some time and has played in a few reserve games. Much as I like Waters I prefer Strapp but remember Dougie played Alex King now on loan to Clyde ahead of Strapp for a number of games.

However that ship has long sailed. Good luck to Lewis nonetheless. 

Massive month ahead now. Six games and we need to be taking at least 10 points from them if we want to be in a position where survival will look realistic. That would put us on 18 points from 18 which would still have us right in the relegation mix, but at least we'd be in a battle rather than being cut adrift.

Taking anything from Dundee United is going to be a tall order, despite taking a point from Tannadice already. The rest of the month is then Arbroath, Queen's Park, Inverness, Airdrie and Inverness again. Looking at the form of both of them you'd have to target Arbroath and Queen's Park as wins, with both on long winless runs and right now looking like the best candidates for teams to finish above, so let's hope Arbroath make an arse of their managerial appointment or haven't made one yet by the time we go to Gayfield.

By the end of this month and having met them twice, we'll be able to say then if Inverness are just undergoing a new manager bounce and can be reeled back in as well or if they're going to be out of sight.

Even if we take say 6 points from that run, which would be an upturn on recent form, we'd be relying on sustained collapses elsewhere to stay in touch with safety.

Aye, season starts here: phase one - claw back to a point per game as soon as possible (10 points, as above, gets that done in December... but I wouldn't bank on it); phase two - a couple of additions (or even just in/outs) in January and kick on from there.

Personally, I'd happily take 8 points from the next six, given our record thus far: two wins, two draws, and two defeats would be fine... as long as the defeats aren't to Airdrie, Arbroath, or QP. But yeah, 9 or 10 would be excellent.

Was feeling pretty pessimistic about it all a few weeks back, but there are at least some signs that the worst might be behind us.

I think being realistic we are now in a three team league. Us, Arbroath and QP

Just shows how badly we are placed I got a lift seeing Dunfermline gub Arbroath.

Should the next six games not close the gap ambition will sink to getting into the playoff spot.

Big problem is we have being saying this for a few weeks without any progress but saved by those two being equally as bad as us. Don't agree we can accept defeat v D Unt this week. They have shown a lack of finishing recently and will be keen to get a result on Saturday. So prity open game, need to be secure at the back and more clinical up front. Increase in bench options will give us a chance to have a stronger bench and hopefully a result.

The big question being will the game be on.

Edited by Paisley Ton
I have seen the future

9 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

I've been fucking about with high-blood pressure since September. Should I stop watching Morton.

Hey my car battery has been fu#king me about since the cold snap hit. We both need to chill out, what will happen will happen and neither me nor you can change it. 

Keep well.

On 30/11/2023 at 02:22, Paisley Ton said:

I think being realistic we are now in a three team league. Us, Arbroath and QP

There's absolutely no reason to exclude Airdrie, not to mention Ayr - the sole source of our league wins this season - from the discussion yet. 

The postponement tomorrow at least has the benefit of giving us a run of fixtures that we have to realistically aim to win. While DU aren't firing on all cylinders, a backlash from their cup exit would have been a possible downer from tomorrow influencing much more significant games to come. 

The next four fixtures in a row are absolutely make or break for our campaign. While I fully believe that we have a good chance of winning any single one of them, we're also in a position where we need to win 3 from 4 to recover the stupid points chucked away from home games in the first quarter. 

Edited by vikingTON

14 hours ago, virginton said:

NB: The flip side of that of course is that if we take 4 points or fewer, then you can pretty much stick a fork in us. 

The data from recent seasons suggests 40 points is essentially guaranteed safety. 12 points at more or less the half way point would be tremendously difficult to come back from and would need a fairly substantial unbeaten run post Xmas. Are Morton likely to strengthen in January?

10 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

The data from recent seasons suggests 40 points is essentially guaranteed safety. 12 points at more or less the half way point would be tremendously difficult to come back from and would need a fairly substantial unbeaten run post Xmas. Are Morton likely to strengthen in January?

40 points may guarantee safety but that doesn't mean 40 points is required to be safe. You just need to be better than any two dung teams 

A substantial unbeaten run doesn't actually require significant investment because the league is (as usual) much of a muchness outside of probably the top two. If a team can get the momentum of a few positive results in a row, then they can flip from relegation fodder to outside play-off contenders quite easily. 

That's not meant to downplay our situation. We've dug ourselves into a hole that we need to get out of, ideally before the New Year as you literally couldn't pick a better set of matches in a row to do so. None of them are gimmes and the opposition will naturally be underlining it as their must-win game too, but the reality of Championship football is that we have to get back to back results to make good the damage done in the first quarter.

If we are still about 4-5 points adrift at New Year (which is the picking up 4 points scenario) then it can still be salvaged by just doing a generally better job of taking points off the entire division in the second half of the campaign than any two other teams. Two-three extra points per quarter is a relatively small margin to gain and if we can actually get our strongest team fit and on the park for a change then we have a fighting chance at that. 

Edited by vikingTON

On 02/12/2023 at 21:49, Chubbychops said:

Arbroath are a mess. Couldn't believe how bad they were on Tuesday.  Think they will save you automatic relegation.

With any luck they have chucked it.

McIntyre@s appointment is one I am not sure about but hopefully the new manager bounce on Saturday ends in the north sea.

Edited by Paisley Ton
why

On 18/11/2023 at 16:23, DreamOakTree1 said:

Regarding the “stories” on Dougie’s treatment of academy players, you just need to read the articles from the players after they’ve been jettisoned from the club. Strapp, Lyon and McGregor to name just three. They all complained they’d been told they had no future at Morton, with no explanation given. Guys Like King and Garrity who are out on loan obviously won’t complain until they’re shown the door. In my humble opinion all of these players are better options than Broadfoot, Power, Wilson and Boyd.

'Dougie's treatment of academy players'.

Former academy player jumps at the chance of the first opportunity to sign on again.

Sit doon.

download.jpeg.a65985ad8a274ac4f09315f7864cd961.jpeg