The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 20/11/2023 at 11:34, AyrTroopMajor said:

Some very interesting points raised. It may be an obvious and slightly lazy example but I thought very much along the same lines as VT a couple of years ago regarding the 'best part-time vs worst full-time' debate when Arbroath were flying high at the summit and we had about 8 of your (full-time, woohoo) rejects signed by Hopkin. 

We are very similarly sized clubs with comparable budgets, crowds and facilities. Traditionally we would be your competition for those duds that nobody else wants, however we have done a 180 and now target random players from England instead. For every gem we unearth like Akinyemi, we unearth 3 or 4 horrifying jobbers. I'm not sure if what we are doing is 'better', but what is definitely true that there are a hell of a lot of good players down there who are begging for a chance of full-time football to showcase what they can do, and if the alternative is plucking Kirk Broadfoot from the 5th tier and hoping for the best, then it is surely a route worth exploring.

Lol, get it right up me. We are utterly tragic and I think its only fair that I acknowledge this mess of a post.

@AyrTroopMajor  Nae worries laddie, we've all done it. Just to add - the 39-year-old plucked from the 5th tier as you correctly say? He had a dung start and was rightly lambasted for it, but he's come good in fine style. Solid, excellent performances on a consistent basis now. He's proved a lot of naysayers (me included) completely wrong. 100% fair play to the man.

On 30/12/2023 at 19:46, Mon eh Ton said:

Another undefeated December - Imrie has never lost a league game in this month.

Looking at the form table for the last 10 games, we're somehow in third behind Dundee Utd and Raith Rovers. It's a close league and we've done well to get ourselves back in the mix.

More impressive is conceding only 8 goals in those last ten games, second only to Utd. We've been pretty solid since Mullen went back in goal and three clean sheets on the bounce is a good reward, especially with a fourth only denied by a meaningless injury time goal in a game already won against Caley.

Curious to see what January brings. Would like to keep Wilson and Strapp for the rest of the season, though don't know how likely the latter is. The Wilson one is unusual - seen as a fairly underwhelming loan at the start of the season. That likely justified being able to leave QoS for a higher league with little expectation of playing a key role, but he has been playing well lately and is a decent, though unremarkable, championship midfielder - something QoS would surely want.

A fit Iain Wilson would get in most Championship teams midfield. 

The loan is due to end we can recall him it would be like a new signing but I don't think he wants to come back does not get on with Bartley think he will stay with you 

20 hours ago, Greenacres said:

A fit Iain Wilson would get in most Championship teams midfield. 

The loan is due to end we can recall him it would be like a new signing but I don't think he wants to come back does not get on with Bartley think he will stay with you 

I thought it was a loan until the end of the season (though possibly with a recall clause).  I think Wilson is enjoying his football and after a slow start (much like his first spell at Cappielow) he has been very influential in our improvement.  I can't see him wanting to go back to Queens, but if he is forced to, I hope we will be offering him a contract for next season.  Queens are very unlikely to be promoted this season with or without Wilson, and I doubt they will be wanting to spend money just to get to fifth.  They aren't safe from relegation yet but I think they have enough to see off any challenge from Annan, and Edinburgh City are doomed.  Can't see what real benefit a reluctant Wilson would bring to Queens at the moment.

More to the point is how long Bartley will be in post.  I thought he might do an Imrie at Queens given they worked together at Livingston, but he seems to have been a complete dud.

Glad to hear we're prioritising contract extensions this month, infinitely more important than bringing in new faces in the January window. Probably goes without saying that if having Oakley, Muirhead, Crawford, Mullen etc. signed up for next year at the cost of bringing in no one new in this window then I'll be more than happy.

First time I can remember reaching the January window and feeling like we don't actually need to strengthen any area of the squad. With King and Waters coming back there's not really a need to replace Strapp, although I've heard a couple of wingers are ready to head out on loan, one being Bearne, so possibly someone to replace them but that's an issue for nearer the end of the window I imagine.

Wouldn't say we needed any urgent signings this transfer window. If anything, cover for Muirhead and Oakley would be ideal.

I can understand if both Bearne and Boyd wanted to go out on loan. Bearne was doing fine when he had that run in the first team recently, so would like the idea of him staying and fighting for a first team place. Boyd on the other hand has more to do to impress. Not terrible but not a standout either. 

Maybe need RB if French gets recalled, but other than that I'm fine with the squad as it is.. 

Edited by Colkitto

Mullen signs an extension until 2025, great news. 
Surprised and disappointed to read above that Bearne may be heading out on loan. Granted he had a poor start, but he was finally starting to show good form in November/early December and hasn’t been given any time since. Strange! 
I understand Boyd wanting to get a move though as it’s not worked out here. 

6 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Mullen signs an extension until 2025, great news. 
Surprised and disappointed to read above that Bearne may be heading out on loan. Granted he had a poor start, but he was finally starting to show good form in November/early December and hasn’t been given any time since. Strange! 
I understand Boyd wanting to get a move though as it’s not worked out here. 

I guess with Muirhead and Blues playing out wide, McGrattan and Quitongo as backups, Bearne and Boyd are way down the line.

That doesn't include Garrity too.

Boyd hasn't worked but id like to see how Bearne does playing regularly if he does go out.

Shifting Boyd will be an issue as he signed for 2 years.

Delighted with Mullen, hopefully Muirhead, Crawford, Oakley and Wilson to follow. I'd obviously include Strapp if possible but fully expext him to move to Madrid or Munich.

Excellent news about Mullen. If he keeps developing, we have a pler on our hands.

If we can add Crawford, Muirhead, and Oakley to Mullen and Baird, that's a very strong core around which to build.

Beyond that, Waters (or Strapp!), O'Connor, Gillespie, Blues, Wilson, Quitongo (who would be in the above category, were it not for injury doubts).

Then it's make your mind up time on McGrattan, Garrity, Bearne, and Boyd; could see any of them being released, but equally, could see any of them being re-signed (or retained in the case of the last two).

MacDonald will certainly be away, maybe even this month. And would be amazed to see either Power or Broadfoot here next season... but you never know.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Excellent news about Mullen. If he keeps developing, we have a pler on our hands.

If we can add Crawford, Muirhead, and Oakley to Mullen and Baird, that's a very strong core around which to build.

Beyond that, Waters (or Strapp!), O'Connor, Gillespie, Blues, Wilson, Quitongo (who would be in the above category, were it not for injury doubts).

Then it's make your mind up time on McGrattan, Garrity, Bearne, and Boyd; could see any of them being released, but equally, could see any of them being re-signed (or retained in the case of the last two).

MacDonald will certainly be away, maybe even this month. And would be amazed to see either Power or Broadfoot here next season... but you never know.

Think Baird is already signed up for next season. 

McGrattan has done enough for me to earn an extension, both Power and Broadfoot have come onto games - could come down to age and fitness.

Jury still out for Garrity for me, but everyone else should be offered extensions. We don't need a massive cull to this squad

3 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Think Baird is already signed up for next season. 

McGrattan has done enough for me to earn an extension, both Power and Broadfoot have come onto games - could come down to age and fitness.

Jury still out for Garrity for me, but everyone else should be offered extensions. We don't need a massive cull to this squad

Baird is signed… that’s why I’m saying add Crawford, Muirhead, and Oakley to Mullen and Baird…

Agree in general that the squad doesn’t need ripped up and rebuilt from scratch… but the other side of that coin is you can’t just dish out contracts because someone’s done ok. If Imrie can get better than the likes of Bearne, Boyd, McGrattan for the budget he has, he will… and absolutely should.

Same goes for the oldies: if he can get better for the money, he will; if not, let’s see… (btw, I think Power is clearly a player; only issue is whether his body can continue to take it).

There’s got to be something left somewhere along the line to actively improve both the first team and the squad in general, otherwise you go backwards while imagining that you’re standing still.

Delighted with the news about Mullen. In my opinion the most comfortable keeper we've had in a number of years and only going to get better with time. Another superb find from Imrie especially considering he only played 12 games for Clyde last season. Your keeper alone can win or lose you about 10 points a season which is massive in this league. 

Hopefully more to come.

Do yous stream home games? Missing tomorrow I think due to illness, haven’t recovered in time.

happy to pay for it but don’t see anything advertised on Morton website.

in failing that, do the Morton home games show up on fire stick?

2 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Do yous stream home games? Missing tomorrow I think due to illness, haven’t recovered in time.

happy to pay for it but don’t see anything advertised on Morton website.

in failing that, do the Morton home games show up on fire stick?

You can't buy ppv for our home games but they usually show up on the stick. 

Just spotted a tweet from the club yesterday blaming the fans for the absolute shit show at the turnstiles yesterday...

I got stuck in the stationary traffic around Weir St/Sinclair St and didn't get outside the ground on foot until 5 past 3 so I'm not blaming the club for me missing the kick off but it was at least 20 past 3 by the time I got inside the stadium. At that point in time there would've been absolutely no harm in just opening the gates and letting folk in. No one is standing there at 10 past 3 queuing without a legitimate ticket...

God forbid we draw one of the old firm at Cappielow... will need to turn up about 2 hours in advance to get in on time.

Lack of turnstiles are a problem and a solution or stop gap is desperately needed. 

I'm sure at no point was 'just opening the gates' considered but we must give the stewards options on the day to improve speed of entry and increase flow at peak times. 

Incidentally, I noticed the main stand turnstiles had basically no queue. 4 turnstiles for main stand, 4 for Cowshed and I assume 4 for away end. Clearly this is inadequate for the Cowshed area that will house twice or three times the number of fans at most games. 

Would be interested to know if the original turnstiles are still in behind the cladding and could be opened up and used for bigger games with an operative and handheld scanner. May be a cost effective and workable solution as I'm guessing it would be many thousands for another unit of 4 electronic turnstiles, which lets be honest will barely be required for many games. 

Other options - allow season ticket holders in via main stand (possibly 5 at a time and walk them into Sinclair Street). Slight H&S risk, but v minimal and surely manageable, even for bigger games. 

Could possibly also use WDE turnstiles for home fans and have all away fans enter via main stand. Again - not a long term solution but may be an option for a league game where smaller away support is expected. 

Ultimately there aren't many solutions that don't involve more turnstiles & likely spending thousands. But I could see a crucial league game or playoff leg being 10x worse than yesterday. 

Don’t think this will have been mentioned on here and I am putting 2+2 together here and maybe getting 5 so this isn’t even necessarily a rumour.

Not sure if you guys remember but Robbie Muirhead was on the Kilmarnock fans podcast a few months ago and at the time I said I was really surprised to hear how he was talking about Kilmarnock, lots of “us” and “we” chat when talking about the club. He was on that podcast because he is good mates with one of the two podcast hosts.

Anyway on the most recent podcast the other host basically hinted a few times that Robbie Muirhead woudlnt be a bad signing for Kilmarnock and that he wouldn’t be surprised to see him back at Rugby Park. He made it clear he was just saying this with no knowledge of any deal etc but I did find it telling that the other host (Muirheads pal) didn’t say a word during these comments and I wonder if maybe there is something happening there.

17 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Don’t think this will have been mentioned on here and I am putting 2+2 together here and maybe getting 5 so this isn’t even necessarily a rumour.

Not sure if you guys remember but Robbie Muirhead was on the Kilmarnock fans podcast a few months ago and at the time I said I was really surprised to hear how he was talking about Kilmarnock, lots of “us” and “we” chat when talking about the club. He was on that podcast because he is good mates with one of the two podcast hosts.

Anyway on the most recent podcast the other host basically hinted a few times that Robbie Muirhead woudlnt be a bad signing for Kilmarnock and that he wouldn’t be surprised to see him back at Rugby Park. He made it clear he was just saying this with no knowledge of any deal etc but I did find it telling that the other host (Muirheads pal) didn’t say a word during these comments and I wonder if maybe there is something happening there.

PYpN14Z0qKp05PUpq6.gif

Rumours of a signing from down south to be announced today doing the rounds on Whatsapp. Guy with 21 goals in 26 games apparently, no idea of the level or any more info. Believe it when I see it I suppose.

22 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I would doubt that. Its only the past year or so he's gone from a decent Championship forward to a fairly good one. He's not Premiership quality for me.