The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Strapp says he has now been informed that he isn’t a part of Ton chief Dougie Imrie’s long term plans.

Strapp exclusively told the Tele: “I’ve found out that I'll not be involved in the gaffer’s plans for next year, which I just need to take in my stride now.

“I’ve got something concrete now that it’s time to shake hands and move on.

"I’ve been here for over ten years, the club’s all I've known so who knows, maybe having a new test, new surroundings might not be the worst thing for me in the long run.

"If I'm not in his plans or what he wants from the team then so be it."

I assume this is a quote from a months-old "Tele" article. If so you should be quoting it as such right from the start.

As I remember it was quite near the start of the season. If I'm wrong and Dougie gave him the news in the treatment room, does that make it better or worse?

A word of genuine advice mate:

That hole you're in is already pretty deep. Just stop digging, FFS........

FB_IMG_1701942373178.jpg

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

As I remember it was quite near the start of the season. If I'm wrong and Dougie gave him the news in the treatment room, does that make it better or worse?

The telegraph first revealled it at the begining of April (according to another article giving Dougie's side, in which "we revealed at the start of the month" was used as a line.

Strapp was out at this point, yes, but that really doesn't make any difference.

Dougie is a manager and has to decide which players fit or don't fit. He had just pulled Waters down from Premiership Kilmarnock to replace him - the same Waters that was in Kilmarnock's  Championship title winning side - on paper, that should be an upgrade. And, with our limited budget, Imrie had to make tough calls.

Strapp in that article you mentioned is also very clearly open to it, and Dougie, in another article; https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/23471599.morton-boss-says-lewis-strapp-needs-leave-sake-career/, made it very clear that it was for Strapp's sake. (There was obviously the financial side, but Strapp had to move on if he wanted to go anywhere. The lack of interest in the time between then and now suggests he may not get that chance.)

1 hour ago, Paisley Ton said:

Can this book please be closed or transferred to the Cowshed forum.

Pie and B forum is for rational discussion at each league level and not a forum for individual dirty washing.  

:huh:

In my short time here I've seen that happen about once. (I refer to the whole website)

you're all spouting absolute garbage in favour of the wonderful Dougie Imrie. Take a step back and look at his management style, brilliant in respect of his impact on our prospects of promotion, but absolutely flawless in his policy on academy players? Come on FFS what specs are you guys wearing?

13 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

you're all spouting absolute garbage in favour of the wonderful Dougie Imrie. Take a step back and look at his management style, brilliant in respect of his impact on our prospects of promotion, but absolutely flawless in his policy on academy players? Come on FFS what specs are you guys wearing?

Nobody’s saying he’s the perfect manager, and there are times when he’s seemed very reluctant to change his stance on certain issues, but he’s the man in charge and he’ll stand or fall based on the decisions he makes, whether we all agree or disagree with him. So far he’s done very well overall; not much he could do about our early season injury crisis.

Whether or not we agree with YOUR opinions is an entirely different matter. You appear to think we’re all simply biased in Imrie’s favour; most of us though are level-headed enough to make our own judgements on his performance - and on the “evidence” you’re pinning your argument on.

• 2 weeks later...

Another undefeated December - Imrie has never lost a league game in this month.

Looking at the form table for the last 10 games, we're somehow in third behind Dundee Utd and Raith Rovers. It's a close league and we've done well to get ourselves back in the mix.

More impressive is conceding only 8 goals in those last ten games, second only to Utd. We've been pretty solid since Mullen went back in goal and three clean sheets on the bounce is a good reward, especially with a fourth only denied by a meaningless injury time goal in a game already won against Caley.

Curious to see what January brings. Would like to keep Wilson and Strapp for the rest of the season, though don't know how likely the latter is. The Wilson one is unusual - seen as a fairly underwhelming loan at the start of the season. That likely justified being able to leave QoS for a higher league with little expectation of playing a key role, but he has been playing well lately and is a decent, though unremarkable, championship midfielder - something QoS would surely want.

I wouldn't mind another striker option in on loan either (I think Harkness went back to Rangers, so there should be a loan spot free?) - we only really have Oakley, with Muirhead playing a deeper role most of the time (and being better there), and Jai being injured for pretty much all of the season so far.

Otherwise, another defender, preferably central, would be good to have another option to compete with Eggman. And, of course, so we don't end up back in the ridiculous situation we've had until now of having two fit centre-halves in the squad.

If Strapp goes, then a left-back is the obvious move.

In an ideal world we'd haul King back up from Clyde as well, but I don't plan to bet on it.

The Wilson loan seemed a bit more permanent at the time. I don't see him going back and perhaps Queens can't afford the finances to bring him back either.

French on the other hand could go back to Dundee in January, but he's not back to the player he was before his injury yet. He's been competent for us without being outstanding. In saying that I hope he stays as he has more to give.

Strapp staying could come down to finances. Waters should be back from injury by the end of January and is more than a competent LB. Can we afford the two of them? 

King coming back would put him straight back to where he was before he left. He won't be guaranteed a start every week. Would he want to come back to the bench or play every week at Clyde? 

Garrity seems to have benefited from his stint on loan and perhaps should be given a chance to prove himself?  

Michael Garrity returns to Morton after his loan spell at Annan Athletic. 
Michael has consistently played well for Annan and will be a big miss at Galabank. 
I wish him all the best for the future. 

2 hours ago, marco44 said:

Michael Garrity returns to Morton after his loan spell at Annan Athletic. 
Michael has consistently played well for Annan and will be a big miss at Galabank. 
I wish him all the best for the future. 

Good to know.

Was he always played in wide positions for you?

Looks like McCall will be trying to get King back for the second half of the season, has undoubted ability on the ball and scored another screamer today. 

Do wonder about his work rate at times, but also not helped by the fact he was surrounded by utter garbage for his loan for the most part. 

Imrie has shown once again that he really is an exceptional manager. We were all hoping for some variation on ‘get back in touch then kick on’ at the beginning of December, but he’s accelerated that process in unbelievable fashion.

That means, though, that there’s a danger of getting carried away and assuming the upswing is going to be the norm. I think the objective for the rest of January and February should be no more than putting clear blue water between ourselves and the teams at the bottom, before starting to think about the chances of finishing fourth (or even third, depending on what happens on Saturday).

10 or 11 points from our next six games should be enough to do that; might not be as spectacular as 17 from 7 (👀), but it would take us to 35/36 points going into the remaining 11 games… more or less free of any concerns about getting sucked in, and a decent platform to have a go at the play-offs.

Would have bit your hand off for that a month ago.

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Looks like McCall will be trying to get King back for the second half of the season, has undoubted ability on the ball and scored another screamer today. 

Do wonder about his work rate at times, but also not helped by the fact he was surrounded by utter garbage for his loan for the most part. 

I'd imagine Dougie will be happy for him to stay at Clyde so wouldn't be surprised if he goes back during the window.

He's not going to threaten our starting 11 so makes sense to stay at Clyde and play every week.

11 minutes ago, madton said:

I'd imagine Dougie will be happy for him to stay at Clyde so wouldn't be surprised if he goes back during the window.

He's not going to threaten our starting 11 so makes sense to stay at Clyde and play every week.

If we lose Strapp I’d prefer we hung on to him for back up at left back given Waters has just returned from an injury. 

Brilliant result for you guys yesterday. 👏

Now you're safe can we have Wilson back? I see he played another full game and probably very well.

35 minutes ago, bod said:

Now you're safe can we have Wilson back? I see he played another full game and probably very well.

I personally hope we have a contract waiting for Wilson to sign at the end of the season.

I don't see him going back to Queens. Dougie more or less said his only concern was French going back to Dundee

1 hour ago, bod said:

Why would you need Wilson back given that your season is already over? 

On 30/12/2023 at 20:27, virginton said:

Why would we bring King back from Clyde?

Agree, disappointed to see him go, however he's hardly set the heather alight.

TBH Saturday was his best game and no surprise that we had 3 new guys in the team who added more quality, and it was Ray Grant's first full game for over a year. So with the quality of player increasing (minimum 5 more coming in this month) I think he would have benefited from that.

IMO he's not ready for the Championship, would be surprised if he gets more than a few fleeting sub appearances.

All the best to the lad though, I think he does have a good future in the game.

On 07/01/2024 at 10:41, virginton said:

Why would you need Wilson back given that your season is already over? 

They're 3 points off fourth... and Montrose/Alloa/Kelty are hardly in the 'uncatchable' category.

Decisive thing must surely be that Wilson would rather continue with us than step back down (and have to play on that fkn surface, apart from anything else).