The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

12 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

A decent work out in a team that's beginning to gel. Boyce was excellent tonight I thought, with Delaney, Ballantine, Moffat and Lyall showing up well too.

Lemar is not a CF and I think he'll make way to the wings when we sign one. Davies looked a bit lost up against a tall physical defence. 

We lacked a bit of physicality up front to be honest. 

Pleased with the new signings and style of play!  

Agree with all of this. Reckon in the championship Davies through the middle and Reynolds out wide will be fine for now while we find someone who is more of a presence and can mix it up, up top. 

Felt Blues and Lyall struggled tonight but confident both will come good when the real stuff starts. 

1 minute ago, GMFC89 said:

Agree with all of this. Reckon in the championship Davies through the middle and Reynolds out wide will be fine for now while we find someone who is more of a presence and can mix it up, up top. 

Felt Blues and Lyall struggled tonight but confident both will come good when the real stuff starts. 

Blues has been here for years and never been good

Just now, Cowshed said:

Blues has been here for years and never been good

Blues gets a lot of unfair criticism for me. He’s not a world beater by any stretch. But nowhere near as bad a player as some make out. 

9 minutes ago, GMFC89 said:

Blues gets a lot of unfair criticism for me. He’s not a world beater by any stretch. But nowhere near as bad a player as some make out. 

Ofcourse we all have our opinions but me personally I don’t think the guy is good enough and brings absolutely nothing to the starting 11 

Just now, Cowshed said:

Ofcourse we all have our opinions but me personally I don’t think the guy is good enough and brings absolutely nothing to the starting 11 

Blues shouldn't be ahead of Wilson when the season begins. Lyall and Gills will be our playmakers as it stands. Wilson looked good tonight when he came on. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Blues shouldn't be ahead of Wilson when the season begins. Lyall and Gills will be our playmakers as it stands. Wilson looked good tonight when he came on. 

Wilson looks a different players from his first stint and when he first joined he looks like such a confident player atm which for us is pleasing to see for me blues is benched and like you said Wilson should be ahead of him

Even though it was 2-0 boyes was fantastic tonight if he doesn’t have that donkey broadfoot beside him he’s more than capable of being one the best defenders in the league ( let me know if I’m going a bit ott with that statement ) 

Edited by Cowshed

7 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Wilson looks a different players from his first stint and when he first joined he looks like such a confident player atm which for us is pleasing to see for me blues is benched and like you said Wilson should be ahead of him

Even though it was 2-0 boyes was fantastic tonight if he doesn’t have that donkey broadfoot beside him he’s more than capable of being one the best defenders in the league ( let me know if I’m going a bit ott with that statement ) 

Wilson has always been a player. In both stints with us he's needed a couple of games to get upto speed and settle. A few Football Manager experts wrote him off and now look silly

I thought Blues did fine last night aside from a couple of slack passes. Gillespie looks better suited to this system than he did last year but he makes a lot of mistakes, which is semi-expected with what he's being asked to do but it's also why Morton is his ceiling. Wilson does something similar but does a much better job of regaining and holding onto the ball, he's been good across every spell with us but he just seems to keep getting better. Hit a 60 yard diagonal to Bearne last night on his weak foot as if it was nothing, he'll be important this season.

10 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I know it's only 1 game but Boyes looks a real find. 

I can see him having a real good career at a decent level.

Pity we only have him on a 1 year deal.

He will be our first choice CB along with I'd imagine Corr

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

I thought Blues did fine last night aside from a couple of slack passes. Gillespie looks better suited to this system than he did last year but he makes a lot of mistakes, which is semi-expected with what he's being asked to do but it's also why Morton is his ceiling. Wilson does something similar but does a much better job of regaining and holding onto the ball, he's been good across every spell with us but he just seems to keep getting better. Hit a 60 yard diagonal to Bearne last night on his weak foot as if it was nothing, he'll be important this season.

That 60 yard pass right to his feet with his weak foot was different gravy 

19 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I’m part of the very old school who used to watch the first team one Saturday at Cappielow and the reserves the next, and as well as the privilege of watching the likes of Allan McGraw, Morris Stevenson, Jimmy Wilson and Hugh Strachan ply their trade for Morton, I also took immense pride in seeing one of our youngsters breaking through. like Joe Harper, Joe Jordan or Neil McNab, to name a select few. 
Yes I’ve been very harsh in my comments on Dougie, and deserved to be banned for making it too personal, but it comes from a very personal place so I couldn’t help myself from letting rip, though that’s no excuse from my horrendous rant at Dougie.

What "very personal place" would this be exactly? Do you want a fucking Victoria Cross for simply attending more games and for seeing more players develop over decades?  

Your Hovis-advert themed lecture conveniently passes over all the utter horseshit that was also produced from within GMFC's ranks consistently. How did our commitment to guid young players contribute to stinking out the entire Scottish league setup a few years before McGraw arrived (not developed here) as a player? How did it contribute to such glorious stints like circling the drain of the second tier in the early 1990s - in front of smaller crowds than today - despite having Derek fucking McInnes breaking through?

The reality is that the only times when Morton have consistently punched above or even at their weight is by innovation and taking a different recruitment strategy to the competition. Including the introduction of Scandinavian players under Stewart and Lindberg/Rajamaki in the 90s to dig the club out of the Second Division.

The obsession with youth development now is nothing more than a one-way ticket to the seaside leagues, which is why our manager is doing no such thing. 

Edited by vikingTON

Last night was the first I've seen us and whilst preseason results are irrelevant, I didn't really see as much positives as others seem to have. Moffat and Boyes looked decent and that's about it imo. Gillespie, Blues and Lyall in the central areas were the biggest weakness. Wilson surely starts when the real stuff comes around.

It's all irrelevant if we are planning for Kirk Broadfoot to be anything other than 4th choice right enough. Waste of budget. Might as well write the season off if he's going to start games.

48 minutes ago, #Gary said:

Last night was the first I've seen us and whilst preseason results are irrelevant, I didn't really see as much positives as others seem to have. Moffat and Boyes looked decent and that's about it imo. Gillespie, Blues and Lyall in the central areas were the biggest weakness. Wilson surely starts when the real stuff comes around.

It's all irrelevant if we are planning for Kirk Broadfoot to be anything other than 4th choice right enough. Waste of budget. Might as well write the season off if he's going to start games.

The way I see it is your not going to play that level of opposition every week they’re a solidified premiership side who finished 5th last season the positives I’m taking is we didn’t look miles off them with what is almost whole new squad, they tried to get the ball down and play it on a number of occasions it didn’t quite work but if you look at the game as a whole you can see what Dougie is trying to do with the team and I seen a lot more positives than negatives 

on the broadfoot situation if every single person watching that game can see he’s miles off it surely Dougie can and can’t possibly persist with him when the real stuff starts , I’ll point blank refuse to go and watch him play if his names on the team sheet 

Edited by Cowshed

2 hours ago, Colkitto said:

🤔

He’s hardly a “find”. The guy was playing in the same division as us last season, he was right under Dougie’s nose.

Havent attended any pre-season games this year so obviously cant offer any appraisal.

However a hunch tells me Robbie Crawford may well be sorely missed. Hope I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, Colkitto said:

🤔

It's a daft phrase that football fans use calling players a 'find' when they were literally playing against us last season.

Hardly scouring the backstreets of Eastern Europe looking for gems.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The way I see it is your not going to play that level of opposition every week they’re a solidified premiership side who finished 5th last season the positives I’m taking is we didn’t look miles off them with what is almost whole new squad, they tried to get the ball down and play it on a number of occasions it didn’t quite work but if you look at the game as a whole you can see what Dougie is trying to do with the team and I seen a lot more positives than negatives 

on the broadfoot situation if every single person watching that game can see he’s miles off it surely Dougie can and can’t possibly persist with him when the real stuff starts , I’ll point blank refuse to go and watch him play if his names on the team sheet 

You'll refuse to go to games if Dougie picks Broadfoot?

27 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

You'll refuse to go to games if Dougie picks Broadfoot?

More than happy to sit in the house than spend money watching that guy try play football