School work experience

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was sent to Longannet power station to work in the chemical lab department. Right up my street subject wise but mostly I learned i) how to play solitaire on the computer and ii) don't get into chemistry lab work as the pay is shite.

Little did the school realise however that it wasn't just the technician's job to measure samples, but they had to collect it all too. Cue several trips down the coal mines (it all closed the year after) and out to the ash pits to collect carbon / ph readings. I personally loved it, even if the school didn't after I wrote my summary report. Beats sweeping hair at the barbers in a way that should challenge child labour laws.

I was sent to Longannet power station to work in the chemical lab department. Right up my street subject wise but mostly I learned i) how to play solitaire on the computer and ii) don't get into chemistry lab work as the pay is shite.

Little did the school realise however that it wasn't just the technician's job to measure samples, but they had to collect it all too. Cue several trips down the coal mines (it all closed the year after) and out to the ash pits to collect carbon / ph readings. I personally loved it, even if the school didn't after I wrote my summary report. Beats sweeping hair at the barbers in a way that should challenge child labour laws.

Wow, hold up; we had to write a report?!

Wow, hold up; we had to write a report?!

Yup. Somehow I specifically remember writing it during Frau Cow's German class.

Perhaps it was just the school trying to get a testimony to sue Scottish Power, or perhaps that's why the pit closed soon after.

Yup. Somehow I specifically remember writing it during Frau Cow's German class.

Perhaps it was just the school trying to get a testimony to sue Scottish Power, or perhaps that's why the pit closed soon after.

Davidson?

We went on a trip to Longannet in P6. I had a Longannet ruler for a while after

I spent two weeks in a solicitors office post room franking mail. I got twenty quid for it which is twenty quid more than my schoolmates and was a bit of a fortune back in 1989 :)

I never became a lawyer but at least I knew how to use a franking machine.

At my work the school kids just get to watch and not actually do any work. Should make the lazy little feckers at least make the tea but there's probably health and safety laws against that or something.

We got one lassie from the remedial school. I asked her what she was put there for - "Punching a gym teacher" she said. I sympathised.

Just remembered that I was once responsible for giving somebody work experience.

Didn't trust them to do a proper job so I got them to pain stakingly QC a whole set of copied spreadsheets and digitise a pile of old well log data, letting them think they were contributing to something important. A bit cnutish on reflection, but it kept them occupied for a good while.

i) Duncan

ii) I had one too. Footered about with it too much probably.

Eta: in-joke, sorry.

Where did I get Davidson from?!

Did you roll coppers down the classroom?

Did a week with a firm of surveyors. I quite enjoyed it really. I got to go inside the Northern Lighthouse Board building on George Street, which was pretty interesting.

Luckily got my first choice at the now sadly deceased McCormacks Music Shop. Spent a week talking about music and playing guitar. Almost cried when it ended and had to return to the hell of school.

Davidson?

We went on a trip to Longannet in P6. I had a Longannet ruler for a while after

I had one of these rulers.

We never had to do a report, we just had to discuss our week during a PSE class. I remember some boy said he was working in Ann Summers helping the women pick out their gear.

I worked at the Press and Journal, it was great. i went out and about with reporters, went to court, went to a few stories. I wrote a few pieces and got paid for it, ended up going back and doing some writing for local golf tournaments the next summer.

one lassie in my year got a placement at an old folks home, she spent her first day looking after some old dear only to come in the next day to be told aforementioned old dear had died. Cue a tear-flecked meltdown and no more work experience.

I went to the IT dept at the local council. Boring stuff, but we all got away early one day to watch Scotland play Brazil in the world cup which was probably the highlight.

A week in Harry Cockburn's chemist at Motherwell cross. Did actually choose that as I was considering pharmacy at the time. Quickly became apparent that being a chemist basically meant working in a shop. Sacked that career choice pretty quickly after that so I suppose it was quite useful.

The reality was I was basically working with two 20-something women who spent half their time talking in detail about their Saturday night shagging exploits. Kept my 15 year old self in wanking material for months afterwards.

but we all got away early one day to watch Scotland play Brazil in the world cup which was probably the highlight.

Typical council

I spent a week at BioMar (they make feed for fish farming) down in Grangemouth docks put down to work in the lab but ended up spending the week swapping pages about in there brochure and ended up getting a mug from them at the end of the week. I was also meant to do a mock interview with them but it was swapped from there office to my high School but after having to walk from there back to Falkirk town centre I never bothered going back for it.

Archived