School work experience

Did my work experience at the civil service dept where my mum worked. Took them a day to realise I was there and give me something to do. Ended up filing. Finished it in a couple of days so after that I just sat down at someone's computer, found it had QBasic installed and wrote myself some games to pass the time. Don't think they were too impressed.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did mine at the then 'East of Scotland Water Board' Pretty boring stuff, behind a computer. One day I went out with a surveyor and we ended up going to Virgin in Falkirk so he could but a CD for his daughters birthday or some pish. The next day I went out with an engineer. Ended up sitting in his van for an age outside Falkirk crematorium while he went to a funeral!!

I got to work at St Andrews Uni sports centre. I remember one day we had to change the 6-a-side nets to new ones then we spent the whole day taking shots to 'make sure the nets worked.' Put me off working in the sports industry as everyone was thick as shit and boring too.

I was one of the last to pick where I wanted to go from the sheet and got landed with the T-Mobile call centre in Greenock.

Horrendous; was meant to be there for the full week and never went back after the Tuesday. Basically spent the full Monday shift going round various workstations listening to the employees attempting to make their job sound interesting, when in fact they were equally as bored as me. Went in on the Tuesday and they basically said they have nothing more to show me and told me to go on the internet all day.

Never trapped after that and went back to school the following week and sent them a stinger of a letter. I think they stopped accepting work experience placements thereafter.

Arranged it through my uncle in an HGV garage, was quite a good laugh for a week but the tales of woe put me off spannering as a career. Studied Computer Networking at uni after school instead.

In my last job I had to take a few work experience kids for the week and show them the art of looking busy whilst expending the minimum amount of effort possible. One of them decided to draw a cock on the wall whilst waiting on the lift. The other was a sensitive sort who was hell bent on becoming a professional dancer, his father had arranged this in a last ditch attempt to have him pursue a "real job", it didn't work.

Anyone willing to take a stab at defining what "Clacking" would actually involve? :wacko:

Some depraved act involving her false teeth.

Anyway...

My work experience took me to a laboratory at a local factory. It really was quite interesting and something I attempted to get in to when I left school, where I realised that, while I skooshed the practical side of lab work, I'm thick as shit when it comes to the theoretical side.

Some factory called Amphenol where ma maw worked. My job was heat shrinking cables. Got paired with this old boy for a day and a half who just kept moaning I was going slow and then got switched to a younger lad who was doing it during a year out of uni. He explained that they had a set number of cables to do a day, think it was 800, as a minimum and the old boy had been telling folk all week he was looking forward to doing f**k all and letting the schoolie do all the work and was a bit pissed aff I was only getting through 100-200. When I got switched over to that guy he said if I managed to get 1,000 by the end of the week he'd sort out my cargo for me that weekend. Guy was a huge Public Enemy fan and we just used to listen to It Takes A Nation Of Millions on repeat in the corner. On the third day he went nuts at the bosses saying I was supposed to get my lunch sorted and started quoting some health and safety shit about work experience and they started bringing me rolls for breakfast and dinner: he made the whole thing up but just liked annoying his bosses.

Some factory called Amphenol where ma maw worked. My job was heat shrinking cables. Got paired with this old boy for a day and a half who just kept moaning I was going slow and then got switched to a younger lad who was doing it during a year out of uni. He explained that they had a set number of cables to do a day, think it was 800, as a minimum and the old boy had been telling folk all week he was looking forward to doing f**k all and letting the schoolie do all the work and was a bit pissed aff I was only getting through 100-200. When I got switched over to that guy he said if I managed to get 1,000 by the end of the week he'd sort out my cargo for me that weekend. Guy was a huge Public Enemy fan and we just used to listen to It Takes A Nation Of Millions on repeat in the corner. On the third day he went nuts at the bosses saying I was supposed to get my lunch sorted and started quoting some health and safety shit about work experience and they started bringing me rolls for breakfast and dinner: he made the whole thing up but just liked annoying his bosses.

^^^

Groomed

Didn't bother my arse choosing anything so got lumbered with the Maths department at the school shadowing my own Maths teacher, helping out the idiots with simple equations was alright but apart from that it was pish.

Went on a course when I was 17 and got to go and do a 6 month apprenticeship as a Windscreen fitter, quite enjoyed the work although one of the boys was a p***k, only lasted a couple of weeks as they wanted me to do Monday-Friday 7-6 without expensing anything for me in terms of travel or even the odd lunch here and there.

Kind of wish I'd stuck to it though.

Didn't bother my arse choosing anything so got lumbered with the Maths department at the school shadowing my own Maths teacher, helping out the idiots with simple equations was alright but apart from that it was pish.

Went on a course when I was 17 and got to go and do a 6 month apprenticeship as a Windscreen fitter, quite enjoyed the work although one of the boys was a p***k, only lasted a couple of weeks as they wanted me to do Monday-Friday 7-6 without expensing anything for me in terms of travel or even the odd lunch here and there.

Kind of wish I'd stuck to it though.

^^^

Gavin from Autoglass filled his crack with his special resin.

Spent a week at Glasgow Uni doing a variety of biological related things.

Really enjoyed the physiology stuff, producing force on one leg, heart rate after cycling, target shooting etc.. Pipetting stuff into tiny vials and making up protein gels in the Microbiology lab was boring as hell OTOH.

I ended up at Centrestage in Killie since I'd organised it myself. Didn't have to do a great deal, got to lie in every morning until half 9 and played a lot of guitar and piano in between painting staging, flogging a few tees and sweeping the stage. Even managed to get away early on the Tuesday night to go to the LC semi-final at Motherwell which we won and is in my top five favourite Killie games of all time.

So aye, I got on fine at mine. Did better than my mate who got sent to a Christian bookshop and publisher, it sounded like he'd have had a right old hoot there.

I got punted to a skatepark. Not even close to the choices I put down and I had zero interest in bikes and skateboards. Spent the week sweeping the skatepark and fixing punctures. However, on my last day I did get to see some w****r who was showing off break his leg.

I ended up at Centrestage in Killie since I'd organised it myself. Didn't have to do a great deal, got to lie in every morning until half 9 and played a lot of guitar and piano in between painting staging, flogging a few tees and sweeping the stage. Even managed to get away early on the Tuesday night to go to the LC semi-final at Motherwell which we won and is in my top five favourite Killie games of all time.

So aye, I got on fine at mine. Did better than my mate who got sent to a Christian bookshop and publisher, it sounded like he'd have had a right old hoot there.

A stray shot into the Davie Cooper stand that night broke my watch. Also, some SEETHING Bairns offered me and my wife a square go afterwards.

Do they even do this shit any more?

Anyway, I mind mine. We were given 3 options on the form and a big list to choose from. For my first choice I put 'Sports Worker', can't mind what my second choice was and for a laugh put 'baker' as my third choice.

I of course spent a week working in the Asda bakery. It was a monumental waste of time. I didn't even get any free doughnuts, muffins or any other bakery produce.

I did get free breakfast and lunch though. Never told my mum, so still got dinner money.

What about you cuntos?

I never managed to get into any of my three choices, so they allocated me with... nothing. And still expected me to turn up to classes. That week was spent doing nothing as I didn't bother my arse going in.

For ours we picked 3 choices and then there was 80 places over two weeks so essentialy 160 places. Problem with that was there was more than 160 pupils in my year so whatever your choices were you got it pulled out a hat with everyone else picking the same. I ended up with sweet f**k all but got a long lie each day.

A stray shot into the Davie Cooper stand that night broke my watch. Also, some SEETHING Bairns offered me and my wife a square go afterwards.

Cripes, what did you do to them? Falkirk fans normally don't go further than a good crowdwank when alarmed.

Our school did it alphabetically. As my second name begins with S I was one of the last to pick. All that was left was shitey shop and cleaning jobs. Given that I wasn't an imbecile and didn't want to work in a shitey shop or be a cleaner I wasn't too happy. A mate of mine's mum ran a shop so I got her to pretend that I was going there for a week and lay in my bed playing the Mega Drive. Happy days.

Archived