the 15/16 table prediction thread

Because youre comparing someone who got 90 minutes to someone who got 10 and judging them similarly. Its stupid, moronic logic and goals per minute is far more astute.

He's comparing players who are good enough to get a regular start for Hearts with a player who isn't good enough to get a regular start for Saint Johnstone.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bet was that Sow would score more given that both players made a certain number of appearances, so I included appearances. "Stupid and moronic" is saying "it seems mental to suggest that Sow will score more than Sutton".

Still, if you want minutes per goal:

Juanma - 160

Sow - 195

Reilly - 263

Sutton - 494

I wouldn't have bothered with the explanation. He's only wanting to alter the criteria because it suits his purpose considering how the season has panned out. He must be one of the sillies that put a charity bet on Sutton scoring X amount this season..

I stand by the fact Suttons goalscoring record over his career is better than Sows. Over the course of this season hes been proven to be not as good.

I stand by the fact Suttons goalscoring record over his career is better than Sows. Over the course of this season hes been proven to be not as good.

That's not that difficult. Sutton is 32 and has been about for ages, Sow is only 25 and I'm fairly sure he only became professional three years ago. During that time he's briefly played in Moldova and Sweden but there's limited data to go on. He didn't play any first team games at Crystal Palace so really the only comparable record to Sutton's is from his time at Hearts. He scored 7 in the 9 games he played up front last season before he was out injured and when he came back he was mostly used on the wing. Since we started playing him up front this season he's been scoring goals.

Sutton's scoring record isn't quite as good as many people imply, particularly considering he does little else. Aside from a 22 goal season at Motherwell a couple of years ago his next best tally in his 8 other Premiership seasons is 12, which isn't bad at all but it's not exactly prolific either. He's also got records like scoring 6 in 48 for League 2 Wycombe Wanderers, 1 in 10 for an Australian team and 12 in 59 for us.

I made the point in the summer that Sutton relies on the team being set up to play to his strengths in order to score goals and that might not be the case at St Johnstone, and so far it looks like this is what's happening.

Anyway, it was gazelle who proposed the bet centred around goalscoring (even I'm surprised by how much Sutton has struggled so far). The main reason I bumped this thread was to laugh at gazelle's gobshitery in suggesting that Sow was the "epitome of a carthorse" and that Sutton would walk into the Hearts team.

Greg Stewart isn't a striker.

Which was pretty much my point. Sow has probably spent as much time, if not more, playing in the wing than he has done up front. Even when he is playing through the middle it's not necessarily playing as an out-and-out striker and he's as useful at providing assists as he is at providing goals. Maybe Loy would have been a better example but wotevs.

Read back through until I got bored. Some utterly bizarre predictions regarding the Gorgie. Still, I'll stick with my prediction.

Celtic

Hearts

HUGE GAP

10 tinpot outfits fighting their brave annual battles against relegation.

• 4 months later...

Celtic

Aberdeen

Hearts

St Johnstone

Inverness

Partick Thistle

Dundee

Dundee United

Motherwell

Ross County

Hamilton

Kilmarnock

Got the top 4 bang on in both this and my Championship predictions. The top 6 split was bawhair stuff but contrived to make the rest of my placings look a bit of a mess. Happy enough with that effort though.

Archived