Yet another US shooting

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It’s always in a Democratic stronghold. They should really hand in their guns IMO.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

WTF? 

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I need more information to reply.

OK, then.

WTF are you on about? Better?

Forbes: Red states have higher gun death rates than blue states.

Stop parroting Republican propaganda and think for yourself.

44 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

Worth pointing out that many of those wounded probably will be bankrupt for life paying off the medical bills incurred when randomly shot. 

Another thing not covered by thoughts and prayers?

Oh well. Price of that sweet, sweet freedom baby

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

More importantly, what is Juneteenth?

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

The anniversary of the day slavery was ended in the US.

Close, the anniversary of the day the Union commander in Galveston announced the Emancipation Proclamation…June 19, 1865 (hence Juneteenth)…a couple of months after Lee’s surrender and nearly three years after Lincoln proclaimed the slaves freed in rebel areas (but not occupied areas) on January 1, 1863. The actual full abolition of slavery was December 6, 1865, with the ratification of the 13th Amendment by three quarters of the States. Juneteenth has become a recognized Federal Holiday in recent years.

47 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

Worth pointing out that many of those wounded probably will be bankrupt for life paying off the medical bills incurred when randomly shot. 

Very unfortunately true.

On 19/06/2023 at 08:14, Bairnardo said:

Another thing not covered by thoughts and prayers?

Oh well. Price of that sweet, sweet freedom baby

I've wondered about this "thoughts and prayers" stuff. It really pisses me off.  What, exactly, IS covered by the "prayers"? What are those "praying" "praying" for? Presumably the countless previously sent thoughts and prayers following all the previous shootings had the square root of naff all effect on the ones since, yet still the thoughts and prayers trot out.

Unless they're prepared to make their Congress People's and Senators' lives miserable they're obviously not praying for more (any?) gun control. Get off the knees and start bombarding their offices with petitions, peters and emails. That'll have more chance of success than closing the eyes, raising their arms aloft and mumbling.

Are they "praying" to stop potential shooters - you know, the wrong sort of folk - getting guns?  Legislative action might have more impact, IMO.

Are they "praying" for the "souls" of the deceased? Eh? Do they think that their deity will be influenced about letting the deceased into "heaven" (or not) based on the quantity and quality of the prayers? Seems to me that these shootings must be just part of the deity's plan, so presumably these prayers are meaningless as the verdict on in/out of paradise was taken, without appeal, long before the shooting even took place. Qué Sera, Sera as Doris Day might have said.

Are they praying for the deceased's friends and relatives? It sounds laudable, but if so, what actual difference will the prayers make? The supposed recipients have no way of knowing about the prayers, how many there were and how sincere they were. I've long believed that praying "for" something after a terrible event is actually more for the benefit of person saying the prayer than for the supposed recipient. It allows them to think they're "doing something". They're really not.

Prayers after a tragedy like a tsunami or earthquake? Stuff that, send helicopters and antibiotics. The victims want to hear that help is on the way, not the sound of chanting and hearing of hippies spinning magic crystals in support of their plight.

Better to bin the prayers and get on the Congress People and Senators'. Until then, they'll presumably just have to get the next bout of "thoughts and prayers" ready. For all the good it has ever done.  Next time folk are minded to send "thoughts and prayers", which have the advantage of being cheap but are utterly useless in a practical sense, I'd suggest that instead they should send a donation to a charity trying to prevent similar future events or financially support pro-gun control candidates. Without real action the thoughts and prayers are just wasted breath.

Moan over. Until the next thoughts and prayers fiasco. Should be any day now.

41 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I've wondered about this "thoughts and prayers" stuff. It really pisses me off.  What, exactly, IS covered by the "prayers"? What are those "praying" "praying" for? Presumably the countless previously sent thoughts and prayers following all the previous shootings had the square root of naff all effect on the ones since, yet still the thoughts and prayers trot out.

Unless they're prepared to make their Congress People's and Senators' lives miserable they're obviously not praying for more (any?) gun control. Get off the knees and start bombarding their offices with petitions, peters and emails. That'll have more chance of success than closing the eyes, raising their arms aloft and mumbling.

Are they "praying" to stop potential shooters - you know, the wrong sort of folk - getting guns?  Legislative action might have more impact, IMO.

Are they "praying" for the "souls" of the deceased? Eh? Do they think that their deity will be influenced about letting the deceased into "heaven" (or not) based on the quantity and quality of the prayers? Seems to me that these shootings must be just part of the deity's plan, so presumably these prayers are meaningless as the verdict on in/out of paradise was taken, without appeal, long before the shooting even took place. Qué Sera, Sera as Doris Day might have said.

Are they praying for the deceased's friends and relatives? It sounds laudable, but if so, what actual difference will the prayers make? The supposed recipients have no way of knowing about the prayers, how many there were and how sincere they were. I've long believed that praying "for" something after a terrible event is actually more for the benefit of person saying the prayer than for the supposed recipient. It allows them to think they're "doing something". They're really not.

Prayers after a tragedy like a tsunami or earthquake? Stuff that, send helicopters and antibiotics. The victims want to hear that help is on the way, not the sound of chanting and hearing of hippies spinning magic crystals in support of their plight.

Better to bin the prayers and get on the Congress People and Senators'. Until then, they'll presumably just have to get the next bout of "thoughts and prayers" ready. For all the good it has ever done.  Next time folk are minded to send "thoughts and prayers", which have the advantage of being cheap but are utterly useless in a practical sense, I'd suggest that instead they should send a donation to a charity trying to prevent similar future events or financially support pro-gun control candidates. Without real action the thoughts and prayers are just wasted breath.

It just sounds more meaningful than actually saying "Insert platitude here"

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Thoughts with and Prayers for the families, I guess?

Of course it's a good sentiment on the surface, but it is only ever used by pro-gun lobbies to make it seem like they care. They could save themselves the effort by amending the constitution and getting the Right to Bear Arms to f**k.

But who would ever do that?

Thoughts and prayers are directed at the right wing fundamentalists base. The christian gun totting voters and main funding source of these charlatans. Although they know thoughts and prayers are about as useful as saying 20 Lambert and Butler in fighting the gun problem it sounds appealing to the conservative right in their ongoing fight against the godless wicked wokey libtards.

12 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It’s pretty simple. The Republican politicos won’t do anything to address the issue, but use the platitude “thoughts and prayers” to suggest they are aware of the incident, and are concerned by it, without committing to any action. The majority of those same politicos have about five Bible verses memorized to cover all possible situations.

“Thoughts and prayers” is political shorthand for 1 Timothy 2: 1-2:

“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.”

In many cases, the Bible verses used are taken wildly out of context…Cruz using 2 Chronicles 7: 14 to justify stuff about a democracy when it specifically is talking about hereditary kings…Rubio quoting Isaiah 3: 4-5 to attack the Florida high schoolers demanding gun control when the full passage is talking about how the young had to lead Israel because their older leaders were f*****g it up….Trump liked Exodus 21 with its “eye for an eye”, glossing over Jesus rebuking that position.

Republican leaders simply read talking points to deflect from their lack of action, much as Democrat leaders tend to do as well, without dragging out the Bible. The Democrats are more likely to quote other leaders or statesmen.