Yet another US shooting

27 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

If he was really considerate he would have shot people at the cemetery.

What an arsehole.

1.  Not everybody will necessarily die.  Are you in favour of interning victims with flesh wounds?

2.  Even if they do die there will be a medical examination and autopsy (post-mortem).

HTH

That takes us to at least 15 mass shootings in November so far.

Don't get too impressed by that. Mass shootings account for less than 1% of gun homicides in the US. They literally have the gun death rate of a Middle Eastern war zone.

Handguns account for nearly two-thirds of gun deaths in the US, they cost about £120 and they'll sell them over the counter to mentally ill people and suspected terrorists on the no-fly list. In many states these people can then carry their handgun wherever they go. There's little sporting value to handguns, you don't go hunting deer with one. They're for shooting people.

Between a third and a half of all the civilian-owned guns in the world are in American homes.

There is no register of gun owners - it is against federal law for the government to create a database of people who own guns.

These people shouldn't be allowed to own cutlery, never mind firearms.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

That takes us to at least 15 mass shootings in November so far.

Don't get too impressed by that. Mass shootings account for less than 1% of gun homicides in the US. They literally have the gun death rate of a Middle Eastern war zone.

Handguns account for nearly two-thirds of gun deaths in the US, they cost about £120 and they'll sell them over the counter to mentally ill people and suspected terrorists on the no-fly list. In many states these people can then carry their handgun wherever they go. There's little sporting value to handguns, you don't go hunting deer with one. They're for shooting people.

Between a third and a half of all the civilian-owned guns in the world are in American homes.

There is no register of gun owners - it is against federal law for the government to create a database of people who own guns.

These people shouldn't be allowed to own cutlery, never mind firearms.

One positive thing is the number of gun owners is declining. Those who do own guns have more of them though.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

One positive thing is the number of gun owners is declining. Those who do own guns have more of them though.

I've read about declining gun ownership but 1) I'm not sure the sources are reliable, they're certainly not official; 2) I've only ever seen stats showing the percentage of households that own guns, but the number of households has increased rapidly so there may not be a reduction in the number of households that own guns; and 3) this is often reported (including by people who should know better like the Washington Post) with phrases like "only a third of American households own guns", when the word "only" has no place in that sentence.

Those who do own guns are getting more mental, disturbingly. The number and types of guns many people are buying have no place in a peaceful country.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Probably because they get shot.

Most commonly, by their own gun, and at their own hand.

Yes, I can see why people would want a shotgun for hunting (not my thing but I know people enjoy it - ditto clay pigeon shooting) but why people want/need those type of guns more applicable to an army weapon is beyond me.

13 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

her death was caused by someone who just decided they were going to shoot bullets into her house

Serves her right for putting up the "No ball games" sign I guess.

Edited by Ross.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Or not putting up the “no bullet games” one...

I was trying to set up a "Shooting hoops" pun but you've only gone and ruined it. Should have put it all in my first reply.

Edited by Ross.