Yet another US shooting

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56598868

A child among the casualties.

Even when things were at their worst over - and some days were horrendous - these sort of atrocities elicited a lot more than a shrug of the shoulders from the general populance.

• 2 weeks later...

You’ll never guess what.

8 people killed at a Fedex depot.  Mind that time Fedex publicly thanked the police for gunning down one of their drivers after he was taken hostage?  Think the NRA will be getting thanks now?

From the BBC website, it’s almost hard to believe these figures:

The Gun Violence Archive puts the number of gun violence deaths from all causes at 12,395 so far this year in the US, of which 147 were in mass shootings. Last year saw a total of 43.549 deaths, and 610 in mass shootings.

On 16/04/2021 at 19:01, DiegoDiego said:

There's a lot which is admirable about the USA, but societally it's a shambles. I've no idea why people in the UK fetishise the place so much.

I've mentioned this on here before, possibly on this thread but I've been to America three times and each time I've gone I've been surprised by how foreign it feels.  I think because they predominantly speak English and we get so much American media culture over here, we think (even if we haven't been) that we know it quite well, but we don't know it well at all.

Edited by Highland Capital

6 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I've mentioned this on here before, possibly on this thread but I've been to America three times and each time I've gone I've been surprised by how foreign it feels.  I think because they predominantly speak English and we get so much American media culture over here, we think (even if we haven't been) that we know it quite well, but we don't know it well at all.

Same. If you're looking for somewhere that's like the America you imagined from watching TV, you're probably better off going to Canada.

There's something unsettlingly familiar yet slightly alien about the US. It's strange...I still know a few folk that aspire to live there one day, but I wouldn't in a million years.

14 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Same. If you're looking for somewhere that's like the America you imagined from watching TV, you're probably better off going to Canada.

There's something unsettlingly familiar yet slightly alien about the US. It's strange...I still know a few folk that aspire to live there one day, but I wouldn't in a million years.

It might just be my imagination to some degree but there's something about America at night that doesn't sit well with me.  It could the fact it's not so well lit, but I just got the feeling sometimes that things could go sour very quickly.  The fact that they don't have a public health service so people with obvious mental health issues are essentially left wandering the streets also doesn't help things.