Yet another US shooting

6 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

There's a reason it was on the news.

Was the newsworthy bit not that she hit her own kid? 

All the parties seemed to be completely unsurprised that she was shooting at the puppy, although it's hard to read the tone in a short article. 

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

All the parties seemed to be completely unsurprised that she was shooting at the puppy, although it's hard to read the tone in a short article. 

Absolutely. It wasn't regarded as batshit crazy that she was TRYING TO SHOOT A PUPPUY FOR f**k ALL REASON. Not even the puppy's owner had much of a problem with it.

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

Yes, and the fact she was randomly shooting at a dog. Those two things aren't normal occurrences, thus it being on the news.

That says something about those people, not a stereotype of 331 million people.

Edited by AmericanFan
more

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Absolutely. It wasn't regarded as batshit crazy that she was TRYING TO SHOOT A PUPPUY FOR f**k ALL REASON. Not even the puppy's owner had much of a problem with it.

By those people. Anyone with sense would think it was.

13 hours ago, coprolite said:

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

The article I read elsewhere did raise this in some detail, with the dog owner saying there were other ways the issue could have been resolved other than by shooting the dog. 

4 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Yes, and the fact she was randomly shooting at a dog. Those two things aren't normal occurrences, thus it being on the news.

But its a totally normal occurrence for a woman taking her 5 year old bike-riding to be armed? 

4 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

But its a totally normal occurrence for a woman taking her 5 year old bike-riding to be armed? 

But you never know when an unaccompanied puppy is going to run out...

31 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

The only thing stopping a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

5 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Point taken. 

I don't think all or even most Americans would shoot a puppy, but if i'd only seen the story and had to guess where it occurred.... 

39 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Point taken. 

I don't think all or even most Americans would shoot a puppy, but if i'd only seen the story and had to guess where it occurred.... 

The only other place it could possibly have occurred is @SlipperyP's village...

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

The article I read elsewhere did raise this in some detail, with the dog owner saying there were other ways the issue could have been resolved other than by shooting the dog. 

You should watch the video of the interview. He says she could have handled it differently, like she just made some small mistake and didn't do something absolutely mental that, even without hitting her own kid, would see you jailed for a long time in any developed country.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

The puppy should have had a gun. 

The best thing to stop a bad dog with a gun is a good dog with a gun.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Point taken. 

'"There's no way you can stop this sort of thing from happening" says only country in the world where this sort of thing happens.'

Shooting at a puppy may not reflect a wide range of Americans, but the fact that it's legal to go for a nice wee bike ride with your kid while carrying a loaded handgun is very definitely a reflection of their collective batshittery. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

You should watch the video of the interview. He says she could have handled it differently, like she just made some small mistake and didn't do something absolutely mental that, even without hitting her own kid, would see you jailed for a long time in any developed country.

I saw the article and yes, there was an underreaction, but I wouldn't have said the need to shoot the dug was not questioned at all by anyone. 

Regardless, FFS.

On 08/06/2021 at 03:42, GordonS said:

Shooting at a puppy may not reflect a wide range of Americans, but the fact that it's legal to go for a nice wee bike ride with your kid while carrying a loaded handgun is very definitely a reflection of their collective batshittery

Ah, more broad generalizations of 331 million people. Nice work.

18 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Ah, more broad generalizations of 331 million people. Nice work.

The American people, through a succession of democratically elected governments, have collectively agreed to this batshit-mental situation. You might disagree with it, but you can't deny it's existence.

3 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

The American people, through a succession of democratically elected governments, have collectively agreed to this batshit-mental situation. You might disagree with it, but you can't deny it's existence.

Does the same logic apply to the current UK Gov?

Just now, Arabdownunder said:

Different bat-shit mental situation but yes, same rules apply

Also current Aus government

Sure.

But, do people really vote based on specific policies or more based on agreement with a general ethos?  And, perhaps in the USA voters do not have a viable alternative party they can vote for which can offer them specific policies they believe in.  

Democracy may be the best political option we have but it's not perfect - far from it.