Yet another US shooting

What’s incredible about this is the normalisation of teachers wearing panic buttons.

Panic buttons worn by teachers during Wednesday’s school shooting in Winder, Georgia, are being credited with likely saving lives after they were activated by staff amid the violence, triggering a lockdown and notifying first responders to the shooter’s exact location, authorities said.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/panic-buttons-apalachee-school-shooting_n_66db40aae4b0e6f2048d8cf0

Automatic locking doors to prevent entry/re-entry without authority and teachers wearing panic buttons.  Every US citizens not actively advocating for gun control is complicit in these shootings.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What’s incredible about this is the normalisation of teachers wearing panic buttons.

Panic buttons worn by teachers during Wednesday’s school shooting in Winder, Georgia, are being credited with likely saving lives after they were activated by staff amid the violence, triggering a lockdown and notifying first responders to the shooter’s exact location, authorities said.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/panic-buttons-apalachee-school-shooting_n_66db40aae4b0e6f2048d8cf0

Automatic locking doors to prevent entry/re-entry without authority and teachers wearing panic buttons.  Every US citizens not actively advocating for gun control is complicit in these shootings.

Jesus, panic buttons are nothing. Half of America wants kids taught by trained killers armed with automatic rifles.

All so they can strut about hoping that someone gives them an excuse to live out their Charles Bronson fantasies.

23 hours ago, BFTD said:

Jesus, panic buttons are nothing. Half of America wants kids taught by trained killers armed with automatic rifles.

All so they can strut about hoping that someone gives them an excuse to live out their Charles Bronson fantasies.

........and an excuse to post this magnificence.

9 hours ago, stanton said:

Manhunt after gunman takes aim at cars on US highway https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cr40vp6rgldo

In Kentucky, kinda surprised that a couple of drivers didn't stop and lay down suppressing fire to fix him while another couple flanked him and filled him full of lead. It's a near certain thing a tenth of the drivers were better armed than the shooter.

21 minutes ago, TxRover said:

In Kentucky, kinda surprised that a couple of drivers didn't stop and lay down suppressing fire to fix him while another couple flanked him and filled him full of lead. It's a near certain thing a tenth of the drivers were better armed than the shooter.

Why would any normal person choose to live in such a f**ked up country, given the above?

Give me living alongside the various radges in Lochee and taking the number 17 bus any day of the week before that deplorable state of affairs.

Edited by Cosmic Joe

On 06/09/2024 at 12:06, Granny Danger said:

45 school shooting so far this year alone.  At what point do these stupid c***s say ‘enough is enough’?

The closest they've got was after Sandy Hook since the children killed were like 5, 6 and 7. Nothing happened of course (in part because some Democrats in swing districts didn't vote for tighter restrictions because they were afraid of losing their seats) and then we had all the Infowars bullshit about crisis actors. If the senseless murder of kids barely out of nappies doesn't get them to say "enough is enough" then nothing will. 

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

The closest they've got was after Sandy Hook since the children killed were like 5, 6 and 7. Nothing happened of course (in part because some Democrats in swing districts didn't vote for tighter restrictions because they were afraid of losing their seats) and then we had all the Infowars bullshit about crisis actors. If the senseless murder of kids barely out of nappies doesn't get them to say "enough is enough" then nothing will. 

It’s right to blame the politicians for spinelessness but there really needs to be an organised, concerted parent led campaign.  I’m sure there’s the odd one here and there but I’ve never seen, for example, a national day of action in favour of gun control that has caught the national imagination.  I say that as someone who is on the CNN, MSNBC and HuffPost websites quite regularly.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s right to blame the politicians for spinelessness but there really needs to be an organised, concerted parent led campaign.

There is, there are actually several. However, the gun lobby and gun culture are still stronger.

7 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Why would any normal person choose to live in such a f**ked up country, given the above?

The majority of the population have no context for how f**ked up the state of affairs is. Europe is all Communist countries where people are told what to do and have no freedom, according to the Reich-wingers and the Republicans. It's like California is how that's often pitched...too expensive for anyone to live, to dangerous for anyone to want to live, etc...it's all bullshit, but the low information voters lap it up.

Consider the UKIP/Reform crowd, and now imagine them living in a county dozens of times the size of the UK, with seven times the population and never having left the country, most never having left an area within a few hundred miles of where they were born. They don't get vacations/holidays, and even if they somehow get some time off there are very few packaged vacations like you get in the UK. Most use their "personal days" to cover when they are ill, and dread getting ill because the doctor is at least $100-150 for a basic visit, before medicine or treatment costs.

Trump just told them under Harris they'll be forced to accept health care, that he wouldn't do that, and THEY APPLAUDED HIM. Same about childcare recently, they applauded his rambling, nonsensical statement. They actively vote against their own interests because the R's give them someone to demonize and kick down at, so they can feel better about their own shitty lives.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

There is, there are actually several. However, the gun lobby and gun culture are still stronger.

Selective quoting.  I specifically said ‘one that has caught the national imagination’.

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Selective quoting.  I specifically said ‘one that has caught the national imagination’.

Not attempting to, as Sandy Hook Promise certainly has caught national imagination and attention, as has the Newtown Action Alliance, but the NRA, GOA and others also have attention. The base problem is one of scale. As you say, "national" imagination is the inherent issue here. Let's consider the nightly news in Britain. You hear about what are literally considered "local" and State stories in the U.S. on the BBC Nighty News.

The U.K.'s population is 67 million...California is 39 million on it's own, add Texas and we're at 69 million. That's the mountain that galvanizing the national attention faces. Add to the fact that the area of the UK is so much smaller than the U.S. and the mental image the populations have of what impacts them are vastly different. A straight line between the most easterly and westerly points of Texas is the same distance as Central London to Central Madrid...California is about 25 miles more from northerly to southerly points. Each of those is one state (granted, the second and third biggest), but that's distance, and on volume it's not nearly that close.

With everything more spread out, the country is effectively divided into regions that need to be individually influenced, and that takes time and money. The reality is the movement toward control is still a very young one, with Columbine (widely considered the "beginning") only about to hit its 25 year anniversary. The (relative) good news is the damage to the ongoing mental health of children and adults from these incidents has started percolating through scientific papers because there is now enough data to study. Add to that the fact that the kids from the Columbine era are now reaching prime political race ages, and I would expect the ship to slowly start to change course.

However, we're dealing with a country with around 500 million guns and bedstone laws that protect ownership and prevent the mass seizure without compensation. Given the real values involved, it would take well over $500,000,000,000 to compensate owners for confiscation of non-collectible firearms alone, and that's without considering the fact there is no database of gun ownership. I suspect that until directed energy weapons or magnetic weapons become the standard, this problem will remain a unique American fever, even if some treatments reduce the overall intensity of the issue.

Edited by TxRover

On 08/09/2024 at 18:10, Granny Danger said:

It’s right to blame the politicians for spinelessness but there really needs to be an organised, concerted parent led campaign.  I’m sure there’s the odd one here and there but I’ve never seen, for example, a national day of action in favour of gun control that has caught the national imagination.  I say that as someone who is on the CNN, MSNBC and HuffPost websites quite regularly.

Idea for a poll: given the choice between the following options, which would you choose?

• America successfully criminalises gun possession for the general public
  • Nothing changes, except one of your children is murdered in a random shooting

Breakdown by state/county would be fascinating.

On 08/09/2024 at 17:57, Cosmic Joe said:

Give me living alongside the various radges in Lochee and taking the number 17 bus any day of the week before that deplorable state of affairs.

Oi! I get the 17 most days. I hope that's not aimed at me.