Yet another US shooting

I did a show & tell when I went to school in the US (Raleigh, North Carolina).

Noone understood my accent, so I'm surprised I wasn't shot.

Should have done it on the Loch Ness Monster like Napoleon Dynamite.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The mother of a school shooter has been convicted of involuntary manslaughter for failing to intervene to prevent the shooting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68223118

Unsure what to make of this - what level of culpability can you put on a parent?  I do remember reading some stuff about this, the parent had exchanged messages with their child essentially telling him to ignore what the school were saying and instructing him not to tell anyone about the gun they had bought him - illegally in that state, I think.  So it could be that they have been particularly culpable.

There a few interesting twists in this one:

-Parent said, on the stand, that they wouldn’t change anything they had done.

-Parent was on video exiting a shooting range with the child and carrying the pistol three days before the shooting. That was the last evidence of who had the pistol before the rampage. She stated she didn’t lock it up as it was the father’s job.

-Parent posted a picture of her with the child and gun, at the range, to social media talking about the child’s early Christmas present.

-Parent exchanged texts about child’s behaviour, and was aware of texts by the child, and discounted them.

-Parent never even answered child’s texted pleas for assistance with ghosts and spirits in the house bothering him, and instead suggested they were all a long running gag.

-Parent declined to remove student from school on the day of the event after a meeting at school where it was suggested the child be immediately sent for mental evaluation for behaviours, statements and pictures drawn with disturbing comments. Parent also discounted the behaviour to the school officials, and never mentioned he had access to a gun while he drew pictures of shooting people, and wrote the voices were telling him to do it.

-Parent was on the ran and in hiding after the kid was arrested.

Father’s trial to start soon. Honestly, about time some people were held responsible for their failures.

6 hours ago, Venti said:

I did a show & tell when I went to school in the US (Raleigh, North Carolina).

Noone understood my accent, so I'm surprised I wasn't shot.

Should have done it on the Loch Ness Monster like Napoleon Dynamite.

I used to live in Chapel Hill

14 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

I used to live in Chapel Hill

Probably would have been down the Crabtree Valley Mall.

Think I seen Back to the Future there.

On 07/02/2024 at 09:42, velo army said:

I'd like to see the Uvalde Police Department with a similar conviction, but this won't happen, mainly as Police don't have a duty to protect citizens in the U.S.

Its wild (but not that surprising) that the U.S. is more attracted to increasing incarceration than it is to actual gun control. There's even chat in that article of prosecuting schools. Teachers who have to buy their own materials and in charge of huge classes being jailed for failing to prevent a shooting.

f**k me.

Fwiw the person who acted as commander for that incident should absolutely imo be charged as criminally culpable, that whole incident was despicable. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Sky reporting a possible shooter(s) at the KCC superbowl parade 

14 injured from 2 shooters. Fundamentally unserious country.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

14 injured from 2 shooters. Fundamentally unserious country.

The most fukd up thing for me was the first reports that two persons in possession of guns had been arrested was given a caveat that given gun law (ha ha) in KC it was unwise to assume that the two arrested were shooters and that they could have been "public defenders" (yank tv reporters words) mistaken for attackers. An absolute basket case of a country.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Fwiw the person who acted as commander for that incident should absolutely imo be charged as criminally culpable, that whole incident was despicable. 

The basic problems are; there was no clear process for designation of a onsite leader, there was no attempt to follow current training to attack the shooter until they are neutralised, and both officers (and parents, for that matter) attempting to take action were prevented from doing so. While it’s easy to blame the Uvalde ISD Police Chief, the charge wouldn’t stand simply because there is no damning evidence he WAS in charge and/or knew it.

I would like to know how the police who prevented a fellow officer, whose wife bled to death during the waiting, from attacking the room where the suspect was barricaded are dealing with that? Or the cops who threatened parents and bystanders with arrest if they didn’t move away from the school while some of their children either bled to death or were executed for calling out in response to the police? I’m shocked how few of the involved officers have resigned.

Fewer than 10 officers have faced any discipline or charges for this massacre, and it’s doubtful any more could be charged. The coroner charged with investigating how many may have survived if police intervened sooner was dismissed shortly after he got started and had announced at least 1 person was alive 20 minutes after it started (died before the 70 minute mark), and that another 4 had heartbeats when the situation ended but died. He was then removed, the investigation shutdown, and he was never given access to autopsy data.

Sorry if already posted but the oft-shot Anglo-American rapper, 21 Savage, had the idea of encouraging folk to use paintball guns to blow off steam. Well-intentioned but folk started blasting each other, police cars, houses etc. Then folk started using real guns on the paintballers. 

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

1 dead plus 15 injured now, although it seems not all the injuries are gunshot wounds, some reports saying folk were hurt trying to run away.

https://www.nfl.com/news/shooting-chiefs-super-bowl-parade

Presumably a crush, shame there weren't more good guys with guns as they are of course the answer.

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Well-intentioned but folk started blasting each other, police cars, houses etc. Then folk started using real guns on the paintballers. 

^ Shat it when attempting a nouveau painting technique

34 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Only in America could a celebration of a sporting achievement be turned into folk getting shot. Murica  f**k yeah. 

While over here we have mutants taking a shite on the street.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Only in America could a celebration of a sporting achievement be turned into folk getting shot. Murica  f**k yeah. 

Probably better phrased as "the Americas", given Colombia's record of lodging complaints with own goal scorers.

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

The basic problems are; there was no clear process for designation of a onsite leader, there was no attempt to follow current training to attack the shooter until they are neutralised, and both officers (and parents, for that matter) attempting to take action were prevented from doing so. While it’s easy to blame the Uvalde ISD Police Chief, the charge wouldn’t stand simply because there is no damning evidence he WAS in charge and/or knew it.

I would like to know how the police who prevented a fellow officer, whose wife bled to death during the waiting, from attacking the room where the suspect was barricaded are dealing with that? Or the cops who threatened parents and bystanders with arrest if they didn’t move away from the school while some of their children either bled to death or were executed for calling out in response to the police? I’m shocked how few of the involved officers have resigned.

Fewer than 10 officers have faced any discipline or charges for this massacre, and it’s doubtful any more could be charged. The coroner charged with investigating how many may have survived if police intervened sooner was dismissed shortly after he got started and had announced at least 1 person was alive 20 minutes after it started (died before the 70 minute mark), and that another 4 had heartbeats when the situation ended but died. He was then removed, the investigation shutdown, and he was never given access to autopsy data.

Im sorry but i disagree with you, the up chief was the most senior officer at the locus, unless its claimed elsewhere that means given its his jurisdiction that its his ball. Granted i work in a different area, but as a supervisor if i go to something then its clear as to who is in charge and thats something that you have to be able to be answerable to your decisions. That idiot went to that school to play at big shot and was overwhelmed, his inaction led to children being killed. My understanding is the tactic is the same in the US as it is in the UK, that active shooters should be engaged and stopped, he failed to do that and actively prevented capable police officers from doing so. You can hear the shots going on as he holds the containment. It was despicable. Sometimes you find yourself in situations where you’re terrified, but he was a shitebag and should be locked up. Another one who loved the title ‘police chief’ but failed to do his duty. 

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

3 suspects have been arrested.

But no one charged yet which strikes me as odd, you would think it would be a pretty simple case.