Yet another US shooting

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Maine is already a place that gives me the heebie jeebies.

Maybe it's Stephen King's books, maybe it's the fact when flying over it, it appears to be about 75% forest and nothing good happens in forests. Maybe it's both.

An active shooter hardly eases up my negative stereotype of the place though.

Actually it is 90% forest.

Appears that there's a massive manhunt (involving 100+ officers) for the shooter with some proper Rambo-type sh*t going down:

The man identified as a person of interest in a mass killing in Maine is a firearms instructor trained by the military and was recently committed to a mental health facility, according to a state police bulletin.

John Miller, chief law enforcement and intelligence analyst for CNN, described the weapon as an AR15-style rifle with a possible telescopic sight. He noted that the gunman was wearing blue tactical pants with “bulging” pockets, suggesting the possibility that he was carrying extra ammunition

Edited by Hedgecutter

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Appears that there's a massive manhunt for the shooter with some proper Rambo First Blood type sh*t going down:

There'll no doubt be plenty of Rambo wannabees volunteering to join the manhunt...

Until they realise that they might also get shot at!

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Appears that there's a massive manhunt (involving 100+ officers) for the shooter with some proper Rambo-type sh*t going down:

If I recall correctly the ‘Rambo type shit’ didn’t go so well for law enforcement.

On 04/10/2023 at 16:47, ICTChris said:

I wonder what newspaper comments would've been like in the 1970s or 80s.

This has lodged in my brain for nigh on 50 years................Back in the 70's I used to read my old man's Evening News when he'd finished with it and there was a very regular Victor Meldrew-esque correspondent on the Reader's Comments page called Gordon B. McFeeters who lived out by Carricknowe. I've no idea if Mr. McFeeters was real or just a 'ghost reader' invented by some sub-editor but I found his name quite amusing and his letters, bordering on the bursting of blood vessels, were always worthy of reading. Kids playing football in the street, dogshit on pavements, the introduction of one-man buses, the formation of Lothian Regional Council were all targets of his ire. However, a photograph of myself sitting atop the Walter Scott statue during the Edinburgh Festival Cavalcade led to a particularly vituperative rant from GBM and the erection of barriers around Scott's statue by the Council.

I reckon social media headsgones would have been right up Mr. McFeeters alley.

ETA - Just realised this is the US Shootings thread and my post has zip to do with gun crime. All I can say to make the link is that if Gordon B. McFeeters had ever had access to an assault rifle, the football-in-the-street kids of Edinburgh would have been in grave danger.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Maine is already a place that gives me the heebie jeebies.

Maybe it's Stephen King's books, maybe it's the fact when flying over it, it appears to be about 75% forest and nothing good happens in forests. Maybe it's both.

An active shooter hardly eases up my negative stereotype of the place though.

I've always felt the same, John Connolly novels with the Charlie Parker character are exactly like that, set in Maine, very creepy and dark.

11 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

I've always felt the same, John Connolly novels with the Charlie Parker character are exactly like that, set in Maine, very creepy and dark.

Think it's telling that it has the highest ratio of gunshot deaths being intentional suicide in US.

Average for country is something like 30% homicide 65% intentional suicide

Maine is 7% homicide, 89% intentional suicide

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

This has lodged in my brain for nigh on 50 years................Back in the 70's I used to read my old man's Evening News when he'd finished with it and there was a very regular Victor Meldrew-esque correspondent on the Reader's Comments page called Gordon B. McFeeters who lived out by Carricknowe. I've no idea if Mr. McFeeters was real or just a 'ghost reader' invented by some sub-editor but I found his name quite amusing and his letters, bordering on the bursting of blood vessels, were always worthy of reading. Kids playing football in the street, dogshit on pavements, the introduction of one-man buses, the formation of Lothian Regional Council were all targets of his ire. However, a photograph of myself sitting atop the Walter Scott statue during the Edinburgh Festival Cavalcade led to a particularly vituperative rant from GBM and the erection of barriers around Scott's statue by the Council.

I reckon social media headsgones would have been right up Mr. McFeeters alley.

ETA - Just realised this is the US Shootings thread and my post has zip to do with gun crime. All I can say to make the link is that if Gordon B. McFeeters had ever had access to an assault rifle, the football-in-the-street kids of Edinburgh would have been in grave danger.

Mr McFeeters is alive and well in Inverness. I recently made the mistake of joining a forum called Next Door, everyone on it is utterly bonkers.

image.thumb.png.b6a46dc779e8887d3aae9c568b00e513.png

image.thumb.png.aa954bb3c7846ba6c9894aa0ec1652f7.png

53 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve given up with the thoughts and prayers and instead have compiled a hit list.

Who do I send it to?

Alabama, Texas, Maine, etc etc etc - the next shooter is probably a postie so that will help