Bundesliga 2023/24

7 hours ago, Internet Citizen said:

RB Leipzig currently giving Mainz an absolute seeing too. 3-0 so far but could've been much, much worse. Bayern drawing yesterday means that if it stays like this then Leipzig go joint top.

Top end of the Bundesliga looking a little different than usual, which can only be a good thing as it makes it more competitive.

Excellent first half performance from RB. I watched them two weeks ago against Werder and they were decent enough in attack, but today they went for the jugular from the off. Werner looks some player when he's on form; pacey and direct, which is perfect given the team he's at.

Excellent first half performance from RB. I watched them two weeks ago against Werder and they were decent enough in attack, but today they went for the jugular from the off. Werner looks some player when he's on form; pacey and direct, which is perfect given the team he's at.

I look forward to them playing Munich just before the winter break. I just hope they are still in the mix.

2-2 yesterday in the Lower Saxony derby between Eintracht Braunschweig & H96. Arch rivals for 120 years, although not having grown up with it, find the rivalry from a lot of fans due to them hating the other more than they love their own.
Last time both clubs were in the same league was 2013/14, and as expected was sold-out (only 23000 fit into the Eintracht stadium, the away end sold out in ca. 5 minutes).
Due to numerous previous incidents of crowd trouble in & around this fixture in the past, then the expected large police presence was in place. Just under 3000 police in riot-gear were in place, supported by helicopter surveillance and with water-cannons outside the stadium.
The fact that so much effort is put into keeping the fans separated (away fans are taken on a magical mystery tour via shuttle bus (each bus with ca. 15 police on board) from the train station to the ground meant that there was little disturbance apart from flares & rockets in the stadium.

First half, Braunschweig much the better side going 2 up after 35 minutes. First goal a well executed overhead kick from Riechel. H96 got a heavily deflected goal just before half-time to keep them in it.
2nd half H96 came out better but were lucky that Kumbela missed an absolute sitter before Karaman scored a peach of an equalizer in the 66th minute. A winner was not to come though H96 should have had a penalty following a hand-ball just before the final whistle.
Result leaves Braunschweig on 26 points, now just 1 in front of Stuttgart who are followed by Heidenheim on 22 & H96 on 21.

International break next week (will be in Wembley on Friday), thereafter it's home to Erzgebirge Aue. 5f621c4ad1240d40d1c4de15f96e1484.jpge909f2d209fdc06a879533ac417b637e.jpgca757591d6ee593141290bcb5551973c.jpg365fd139d2167dc9e171da4bd00d4aa1.jpg33bb15b3bfc71d8f295d7aec9e324253.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What struck me tonight was just how much of a team these German sides are, so fluent going forward and back, nobody looked a standout. Just two sides working together like clock work, was like a video game at times and extremely enjoyable. Makes a difference from the EPL sides, think Liverpool and Arsenal at times are the only two that play like that, loved it.

With RB Leipzig is the seethe towards them not because they've sold out to a commercial owner when the rest of German football is leaning towards fan ownership (or at least in part)? In terms of the way they have built a team I think it needs to be commended, young guys released by, or not quite making it, at 'bigger' clubs supplemented by a couple of big buys. They've also kept a large number of the players that for them promoted.

Leipzig have found numerous loopholes to get through the German rules regarding ownership. Despite the fact that they are technically not 'Red Bull' they are in almost every way and it has angered fans of pretty much every other club. It is always refreshing to see someone a bit different do well and as Dundee Ton points out they have a good signing policy and have at least tried to build a proper squad.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Dortmund/Bayern game last night but I thought the BT commentary team were absolutely dreadful. Nigel Spackman in particular. He knew nothing about German football and his little pieces of 'insight' were just bizarre.

Who gives a f**k how they've got to where they are? The likes of Bayern and Dortmund spunk much more money every year on players, the only way any team will challenge any of the big teams nowadays is luck (Leicester) or spending lots of money. The fact is the Germans are currently raging #amfers who fail to see that every one of their teams are supported by massive global companies.

Additionally, RB are going about it the right signing exciting youth prospects, they also play superb football and I've yet to see a boring game they've been involved in.

I imagine after a few year the furore will die down, because they all said the same pish about Hoffenheim and now RB are their new target.

Who gives a f**k how they've got to where they are? The likes of Bayern and Dortmund spunk much more money every year on players, the only way any team will challenge any of the big teams nowadays is luck (Leicester) or spending lots of money. The fact is the Germans are currently raging #amfers who fail to see that every one of their teams are supported by massive global companies.

Additionally, RB are going about it the right signing exciting youth prospects, they also play superb football and I've yet to see a boring game they've been involved in.

I imagine after a few year the furore will die down, because they all said the same pish about Hoffenheim and now RB are their new target.

Agree with this. Making an effort to keep up with Leipzig and show support for them as a couple of my friends are big bundesliga fans and give the the whole #amf shite on Twitter. Their signing policy and building a great, young, attacking team is brilliant - even if it is commercially backed.

On the other note from the weekend. We had the two BT sport games on in the pub over the weekend and people who didn't watch often seemed amazed that the standard was so much better than a lot of the English rubbish we get fed.