Bundesliga 2023/24

That was disappointingly predictible last night. Despite being a little underwhelming so far this season, Bayern turned up when it mattered and had too much for an inexperienced Leipzig. Turning point in the season?

I think so. Bayern answered a lot if doubter with that performance. Even though it's still a long way to go, I don't think many teams (Dortmund and Leipzig included) who have the ability to remain consistent to challenge them.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help me with advice for going to a Borussia Dortmund game. Me and a couple of mates have been talking about going to a game abroad for a while and now that all but 2 of us have pulled out we're leaning towards trying Dortmund. We ruled out Italy and Amsterdam as Germany seems better. Then we thought Dortmund because my mate wanted to see the South Stand in a domestic game and the atmosphere looks great.

I thought there was a matches abroad advice type thread but I can't seem to find it so I thought this was the best place to ask. From what I've heard for Dortmund it will be near impossible to get tickets from the official site so our best bet is paying extra from viagogo. I've had a quick look and it appears to be a rip off. Any help with the below questions or more advice would be helpful. Our plan is to go for 2 or 3 days preferably in March or April but possibly in May.

Is it true that Dortmund is a bit shite so we'd be better staying in Dusseldorf or Cologne?

Am I correct in thinking that mostly idiots go to Borussia Dortmund because it's more popular, but actually we'd get a better game, atmosphere and city somewhere else if we just looked?

What's the best team/game to go to?

What's the cheapest decent Bundesliga or Bundesliga 2 sides to go to?

Our criteria is a few days away including going to a game with decent teams and a decent atmosphere. We were thinking Hamburg but they appear to be struggling which might affect the atmosphere. In the same area I'm already thinking Monchengladbach, Leverkusen, Koln or Schalke could be better?

Can anyone help me with advice for going to a Borussia Dortmund game. Me and a couple of mates have been talking about going to a game abroad for a while and now that all but 2 of us have pulled out we're leaning towards trying Dortmund. We ruled out Italy and Amsterdam as Germany seems better. Then we thought Dortmund because my mate wanted to see the South Stand in a domestic game and the atmosphere looks great.

I thought there was a matches abroad advice type thread but I can't seem to find it so I thought this was the best place to ask. From what I've heard for Dortmund it will be near impossible to get tickets from the official site so our best bet is paying extra from viagogo. I've had a quick look and it appears to be a rip off. Any help with the below questions or more advice would be helpful. Our plan is to go for 2 or 3 days preferably in March or April but possibly in May.

Is it true that Dortmund is a bit shite so we'd be better staying in Dusseldorf or Cologne?

Am I correct in thinking that mostly idiots go to Borussia Dortmund because it's more popular, but actually we'd get a better game, atmosphere and city somewhere else if we just looked?

Our criteria is a few days away including going to a game with decent teams and a decent atmosphere. We were thinking Hamburg but they appear to be struggling which might affect the atmosphere. In the same area I'm already thinking Monchengladbach, Leverkusen, Koln or Schalke could be better?

Went to Dusseldorf for a stag-doo, and Dortmund is approximately 40mins train journey away. We had a rough idea that the stag-doo was going to be around January/February time and would try get to a Dortmund game as part of the stag-weekend.

We had a look at Dortmund's fixtures in the summer/start of the season to see when they were at home and playing a team where there'd be a decent chance of getting tickets on one of the weekends we had provisionally planned to go.

We seen they were playing FC Ingolstadt one of the weekends we'd looked at so contacted Borussia Dortmund's ticket office directly and booked the match tickets which was simple and hassle-free.

€16 per ticket (roughly £12/£13 at the time) and in Germany, football fans with a match ticket get free train travel, all you need to do is show your match ticket if requested.

The other good thing is that they operate a cashless system in the grounds. On your way in you'll see a guy selling cash cards. Hand over the value of money you want to spend on beer and food at the game and he'll charge up a card with that amount. Saves any overly long queuing or time wasted with fans and kiosk staff farting about with cash/change.

So basically £12/£13 got us a train journey from Dusseldorf and back and entry to the Dortmund game in the standing section behind the goal at the opposite end from The Yellow Wall, and about £20 a head got us 4 or 5 plastic steins of beer each and a bite to eat. A brilliant day and a brilliant experience. The only let down was the game itself wasn't the greatest but the conditions were horrendous as it absolutely pissed down the whole day.

Let us know how you get on derrybiy[emoji106]

ETA: Also been to a game at the Alianz Arena in Munich and the same systems are in place. However Bayern were away the weekend we were there so went to see 1860 Munich but it didn't have the same buzz as Dortmund as the stadium was half empty.

We stayed in Cologne and got the train up. Had tickets in the away end as one of the guys there had family in Frieburg who Dortmund were playing. Actually had a good view of the massive terrace from the other end. Couldn't get the he Cologne as their game was a sell out but did go to a B2 game (can't remember who, it was a few years ago) which was about 30 mins outside Cologne - might have been Duisburg?). 

1 hour ago, derrybiy said:

I've been over 3 times in the last 4 years at the September weekend with another couple of posters on here, the 4th I didn't go because I was... in Dortmund watching Germany vs Scotland 3 weeks before so didn't fancy two trips in short order. Booked up for this September

We fly to Dusseldorf and stay near the main train station, it's cheap digs in that area, the hotels aren't world class but if you're there for a bevvy weekend you're not too bothered. You're only about 15 minutes walk away from the Altstadt which has about a million bars. By being handy for the train station you can get to all the places I'm about to list really quickly- think Dortmund at 50 minutes is the furthest away, and if you have a match ticket in advance that will double as your train ticket.

If you stay in that area then you have the following teams to choose from

Dortmund, Leverkusen, Schalke, Gladbach & Cologne in BL1. Bochum and Dusseldorf in BL2, and Duisburg in BL3 as well as loads of semi pro / amateur teams in the leagues below- if you're staying the Sunday night then a lower league game on a Sunday might be a decent idea, beer is scandalously cheap and if the weather is decent, but obviously travelling over purely to see a 5th tier game is a bit hipster. You can even get to VVV Venlo on the Dutch / German border. For policing reasons about half these teams will be at home regardless of when you book for so you've got a decent choice, exact kick off times get confirmed in blocks a few weeks / months in advance.

In terms of tickets, Dortmund and Schalke are always seatwave / viagogo efforts, at Dortmund they always announce the attendance as a sell out regardless of seat occupation. We were at Gladbach earlier in the season and got face value tickets for 20 euros but that was a game vs Ingolstadt so relatively low demand, a derby game would be a lot harder.

I've been to Cologne, again was earlier this season and tickets were nearly sold out but they'd had a great start to the season and we got face value ones for about 33 euros. Also seemed a decent place for a night out but we had to go back to Dusseldorf.

I've only been in the terracing amongst Duisburg fans (despite being in 3rd tier they still get 10k plus for most games)  but if you're there then prepare to miss seeing a lot of the game with those massive fucking flags being waved in front of you, also heard that the terrace at Dortmund is a nightmare to get back to your spot if you go for a piss/ pint. I've been there to see Dortmund twice in the stand at the other end and found the atmosphere a bit forced, albeit again it was against bottom of the league teams, might be better for a bigger team, flipside being the seatwave tickets will be more expensive. Enjoyed the atmosphere at Cologne, partly because they were playing the reviled RB Leipzig, and partly because their club song is to the tune of Loch Lomond.

Fairly certain you'll have a good time regardless of what game you choose.

22 hours ago, derrybiy said:

There is/was a thread, "Travelling to a German game" which is here, thread has been dormant for a while since most of the queries etc. now crop up in this thread.

Not a lot to add to fiano's answer, just that any free train travel doesn't cover the ICE / IC / EC long-distance- high speed trains.

Despite Hamburg's lowly position, it is worth considering. You'll also likely have a St. Pauli game taking place in the city on a different day that weekend. Also Bremen is just over an hour away by train.

Edited by German Jag

Cheers everyone. I might try phoning dortmund for tickets sometime this week. Depending on how that goes we'll either try hamburg where I know we can definitely get tickets or just book dusseldorf and go to any match we can.

Cheers everyone. I might try phoning dortmund for tickets sometime this week. Depending on how that goes we'll either try hamburg where I know we can definitely get tickets or just book dusseldorf and go to any match we can.

If Dortmund have any home games against smaller teams around April/May time then you might be lucky and get tickets if you're booking far enough in advance.

Good luck, let us know if you manage to get tickets for a game.

Oh, and if you do end up at Dortmund, their club superstore is huge. It's right next to the stadium and is definitely worth a look. Hundreds of black and yellow stuff! [emoji39]

Booked up for a mad wan in February.

Based in Dusseldorf looking to take in BVB/Berlin on 8th Feb, Fortuna Dusseldorf/Kaiserslautern on the 10th and Leverkusen/Eintracht Frankfurt on the 11th.

I have got tickets for the Dortmund game sorted and the Leverkusen site seems easy enough. The only problem is with the Fortuna game has anyone had any experience of buying tickets for them? The site is all in German and even the ticket pages there doesn't seem to be any links for actually buying tickets.

I take it Dusseldorf is decent lads eh?

You get them from the official-ticketshop but you need to become a member on that to purchase them. You can collect them either beside the ground or the tourist information centres in Dusseldorf (there's one in the main station). If you're still there on the Sunday get to the Duisburg game.