The Youth Academy Challenge

RandomGuy.

The Run In

A draw at home to Annan  following a loss away to Brechin meant Stirling are now back in the hunt. I thought this would happen so I'm not overly surprised, the lack of goalscorers in my team coupled with a hilarious amount of draws has us in this position.

post-13694-0-42594100-1462301543_thumb.p

post-13694-0-41911200-1462301532_thumb.p

Away in 4/6 of our final games including away at table topping Queens Park on the final day, not exactly the dream run in.

Our run in: 2nd (A), 10th (A), 5th (A), 8th (H), 6th (H) and 1st (A)

Stirling's run in: 3rd (A), 7th (H) , 4th (H), 2nd (A), 8th (A) and 10th (H)

If I was a gambling man, I would wager we lose the final day to give them 4th.

Edited by Big Fifer

post-13694-0-71233200-1462305385_thumb.p

A sensational unbeaten run of 4 draws and 2 wins in our last 6 saw us not only snatch a play off spot but we were 3rd!!! A remarkable achievement with an average age of 19.7, losing just 4 times the whole season and drawing 19 which must be a record (if any statto cares to look this up feel free).

Naturally we're delighted with our play off spot, but we do have a problem. Our draw away to Queens Park on the last day lost them the league and they dropped into 2nd. I'd fancy my chances vs Stenny but QP are by far the better side and I don't know how they didn't lock up the league. 11 days to prep the boys for the semi finals!

Semi final - First Leg

post-13694-0-72219900-1462306440_thumb.p

I hadn't noticed but since our last visit Queens have added Jamie Ness and Graham Carey to their side. They're both getting on a bit but are still miles above League 2 level, so to get a 1-1 draw is actually pretty pleasing. We've given ourselves a great chance to snatch something at Hampden. Their goal came from something that's hampered us this season - giving away cheap penalties. Because I've got the defensive line quite high sometimes the opposition can just chip it over the top and it's resulted in a fair few pens against us. 

Semi Final - Second Leg

post-13694-0-42619400-1462307100_thumb.p

Gross. We've lost out on this because of some genuinely hilarious defending. My centre halves passed to their striker for the second two goals, absolutely rotten. I really think we've been unlucky with this draw, how that team didn't win the league I'll never know. I hope to god they go up.

Given Ross Maxwell will be determined to leave I'm not overly confident we can replicate this season as he was injured for 3/4 games we lost and for the spell where we drew 10/12  games in the middle of the season. Still, some decent youth prospects will allow me to stick with this formation and I will have to try my best to get young Paul Hendry to play up front.

ETA: Ross Maxwell actually has a contract till next season. Magnificent. Queens didn't go up though, and are now 1/10 to win the league.

Edited by Big Fifer

Gutted :(

Queens definitely need fixed, they regularly end up with Anthony Stokes in the third season in my saves.

I eventually stumbled across a tactic that works for Cove Rangers. After winning my first game of the season it took me until February to get a second win...went on a decent run but too little to late and I'll be in the playoff. A good few draws, I tended to score earlier then collapse.

That said, a bit more confident for next season if I stay up....misplaced no doubt.

Gutted :(

Queens definitely need fixed, they regularly end up with Anthony Stokes in the third season in my saves.

Is it because they play at Hampden? Any Scottish Premier League players that are released seem to end up there after a month or so. They've lost a few players like Wallace over the summer but Liam Henderson has signed who's by far the best player in the league right now.

Not to worry though, so far this season it hasn't been a problem... ;)

2022/2023 - The year of change

Over the summer I changed my assistant manager and brought in James McDonaugh, former Falkirk assistant. His judging player potential/ability was much better than my previous assistant and as such a few changes were made in the middle as some players weren't as good as I initially thought. 

The season started similarly being papped out the Challenge/League/Scottish cup nice and early, which meant no big pay day. Our junior coaching is now up to an excellent level, and as we sit over £100k in debt a quick glance at the youth expenditure and it's easy to see why.

However:

post-13694-0-92433300-1462364014_thumb.p

What a magnificent season this is turning into. We're not pumping teams, far from it, biggest win so far has been 3-1 (against Queens Park!!) but the rest are 1-0 and 2-1's. Our solid back line is winning us games and the keeper that came through last years intake is already a good league 2 player and continues to improve. The 5 teams below keep dropping points which means when I slip up at home to Gretna it so far hasn't been biting me in the arse.

A shite 32 year old Leslie has still been leading the line for us this season. Paul Hendry who came through the intake last year was the player I was going to train to become a striker. All was going well before he broke his foot at the start of the season (his first season) and was out for 4 months. Hopefully this points gap remains so when he returns in 3 weeks I can stick him up front for the last 10 games.

Exciting times, lets hope we hold on in what may prove to be Leslie's last season with us as a player. He's been at Nairn for 10 years now, hoping he can captain us to glory.

Forgot to mention; I sold Euan Murray, a left back that's been with us since the start, to Turriff in autumn and he leaves 1st of January. That makes Leslie the only remaining senior player that's been with the side from the start, the rest are all youth products.

Edited by Big Fifer

Before we start cracking open champagne bottles, when flicking around my transfers screen I noticed I had a 20% sell on clause for a player called Mark Conway. A striker. I had never seen or heard of him, he was 17 and was playing in the Premiership for St Johnstone. He arrived at us for the 2021/2022 season apparently, and moved to the saints without a transfer fee. Take a fucking look at this!!!

post-13694-0-41034400-1462368777_thumb.p

He's brilliant! What's going on here? Was he sold on before I could even look at him? Someone tell me what's happened here. He's not on my youth intake at all and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed him!!

post-13694-0-01702100-1462368888_thumb.p

post-13694-0-54475200-1462368928_thumb.p

I can't fit another image in here, but believe me when I say he's not on the transfer history of my youth intake.

Livid!  :thumbsdown  :(

Champions

We've done it.

post-13694-0-01806900-1462396446_thumb.p

post-13694-0-25462500-1462396466_thumb.p

A magnificent season has us finish champions. We were stumbling over the line but we've done it, and after 8 years we're finally up. Ross Maxwell has signed a new contract following the win, and I've also signed Leslie up for another year, because I love him  :wub: .

I forgot to add this years youth intake, mainly because I was too concerned with winning the league than getting new players. If anyone can alert me as to how the situation in the above post came about I'd appreciate it.

post-13694-0-35137100-1462396617_thumb.p

Vive la Nairn.

I've been a bit shit at updating this season as I've just had it sort of trickling away in the background without paying too much attention to it. Our first season in League 1 started off a bit iffy, not because of performances, but because the board decided to take this decision:

post-13694-0-10311800-1462552312_thumb.p

Absolute numpties. We cant get more than 200 folk through the gate and we turn professional? A nonsense. Of course with all but 1 of my players contracts running out next season, I have to offer new contracts eventually. And as you'd expect, the result is:

post-13694-0-64598100-1462552391_thumb.p

Utter nonsense.

On the pitch however, we're laughing in the face of the 300/1 odds of us winning the league and are sitting in a play off spot at the moment. It's been another great season. I let Aitken go so now have two youngsters formerly attacking midfielders training to be strikers whilst Leslie is still floating about. He's been trained to play centre mid as well, so he's basically Wayne Rooney. 

post-13694-0-86375300-1462552522_thumb.p

post-13694-0-81778800-1462552583_thumb.p

A bit of a shit intake, especially considering we're well covered in terms of potential at left back and goalkeeping positions. In my 9th year of this and I've still yet to get a striker. 

In this years intake, another player never appeared in our squad but has already signed for East Fife. [Edited to add: East Fife are only the league above us so this isn't as understandable]

He's a striker.

And he looks very dece.

post-13694-0-45441200-1462552690_thumb.p

I can only assume there's nothing I can do to avoid this. I assume this is some sort of pre contract garbage. If we get a bit more success I would envisage the player signing for us instead of a championship/premier league side.

Still irritating, no wonder I can't get a goalscorer!

Edited by Big Fifer

Expect the unexpected

So after a while it was fairly obvious the standard of this league was dreadful, which was why it was so tight at the top. After 35 games, we had somehow managed to find ourselves in 2nd place. SECOND PLACE!! Given we don't have anyone up front or in attacking midfield that could hit a barn door, this is in my humble opinion better than the Leicester story. Up until 30 games in I was telling the media it was all about avoiding relegation, playing it cool Ranieri style... :lol:

post-13694-0-40552300-1462560724_thumb.p

In order that we complete the impossible, Peterhead in 1st have to either draw away at 3rd place Morton, or lose to them, but Morton can't outscore us significantly otherwise they will overtake us on goal difference, assuming that we actually manage to get the win.

How we are in this situation I will never know.

So to our game against Alloa, and it was a right cagey affair.

We entered the 2nd half, and fresh faced youngster Max Smith placed the ball down for a 25 yarder. He saw his name in lights.

post-13694-0-21630400-1462561273_thumb.p

post-13694-0-38744800-1462561281_thumb.p

AND HE SMASHED IT HOME. Straight at the goalkeeper who somehow managed to fluff it. Terrific stuff.

At this point however, it was 1-0 Peterhead, and they were still on course to take the title on helicopter Saturday...

Edited by Big Fifer

But no!

A 78th minute own goal and a Morton winner in the 88th minute handed Pete the Heid their 12th loss of the season!

post-13694-0-29696300-1462561733_thumb.p

post-13694-0-65831900-1462561739_thumb.p

The mighty Nairn, 300/1 for the league at the start of the season had swept home!

MON THE NAIRN!

And you bemoaned your board going full-time.

I know, but I think my 5-3-1-1 is either a) tactical genius from me or b) the more likely scenario, it's taking advantage of the match engine. My squad is genuinely horrendous compared to the rest of League 1. We'll see what this season brings I suppose, hopefully more money!

So our first season in the Championship beckoned. Fair to say, the bookies didn't fancy us, making us 2000-1 for the title. 

post-13694-0-20361500-1463052877_thumb.p

I've managed to convince my board to upgrade my junior coaching again, because we were back in the black financially. It's now at an exceptional level. Anyone considering this challenge do note that I think this would be impossible had I not set my "vision" as wanting to bring through youth players into the first team. The opening quarter of the season had us beat the record for lowest attendance at a Championship game an incredible 3 times, however it's been another fantastic start. I looked at the points needed for survival the past few years and set the target at 36 points:

post-13694-0-11095100-1463053038_thumb.p

The dream continues. For those interested in the tactical side of things, this is how my side set up:

post-13694-0-85246700-1463053094_thumb.p

Happy to upload my save if folk want to have a wee scan around, especially since my best player is seen as a "Good League 1 player". However, not complaining, overachieving is basically the aim of the challenge. 

My previous negativity on all things Nairn needs to stop, so I'm aiming to be in the Premier League in 3 years. That's really the only way there is going to be any improvement to my training/youth facilities and my stadium because right now we can't afford it.

In other news, Leslie's contract was allowed to expire at the end of the season. 85 goals in 283 league appearances, a true legend of the game. He's since decided to retire but that doesn't seem like it will be made official until the end of the season. Safe to say, regardless of the role and his ability, if he stays in football there will always be a place at Nairn for Stu.

So exams sadly had to take over but I've smashed through till the end of the season this afternoon and this is how the league table ended up:

post-13694-0-63729400-1463587849_thumb.p

Overall a sensational season. My shitey squad keeps surpassing expectation time and time again. 1 win in the last 10 had me worried about the play off spot but we held on.

post-13694-0-32340800-1463587891_thumb.p

We seemed to get quite a decent crop of kids through the intake as well. I will be attempting to blood a lot of these in straight away next season!

Now, to the first play off round vs Livi. We had pumped them 4-0 the last time we played them so I was confident! 

Edited by Big Fifer