Independence & the current Tory Government

Fide

Is anyone here of the thought process that the actions of the Tories are likely to bring about a genuine case for Scottish Independence sooner rather than later?

I'm not sure how much worse the Tories can get. An absolute and utter disregard for the Scotland Bill with no wiggle room being offered, from the looks of it. The worst attack yet on the poor, disabled and vulnerable as IDS and his giggling chums swing their welfare axe on those who can least afford it. English votes for English laws. Cameron's comment on how atttractive "perpetual austerity" is to him. The Tories only concern being those who, in their eyes, "aspire". Selling BOS, Royal Mail etc at cut price rates. TTIP. Trident renewal. To name but a few.

What's the tipping point? What will it take to change 6% of those 55% who votes No last September to vote Yes, while keeping the 45%? In my view, the actions of this extreme Tory Government are only going to end one way.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Ruth Davidson is saying an indyref2 would be hard to win. Don't if it's a bit of reverse psychology but she said

"I think that if there was a referendum in short order in the next five years or so it would be hard to win,"

"I think in the longer term, if there was to say be a referendum in 15 years I think it would be an easier proposition."

I would say it would be the other way round, although I still favour an early referendum

What's the tipping point? What will it take to change 6% of those 55% who votes No last September to vote Yes, while keeping the 45%? In my view, the actions of this extreme Tory Government are only going to end one way.

A fucking cold winter.

Is anyone here of the thought process that the actions of the Tories are likely to bring about a genuine case for Scottish Independence sooner rather than later?

I'm not sure how much worse the Tories can get. An absolute and utter disregard for the Scotland Bill with no wiggle room being offered, from the looks of it. The worst attack yet on the poor, disabled and vulnerable as IDS and his giggling chums swing their welfare axe on those who can least afford it. English votes for English laws. Cameron's comment on how atttractive "perpetual austerity" is to him. The Tories only concern being those who, in their eyes, "aspire". Selling BOS, Royal Mail etc at cut price rates. TTIP. Trident renewal. To name but a few.

I'm hoping the Tories screw loads of low wage families as far into the ground as possible, it won't affect me but I'd take a bit of the pain for the long term gain of my descendants,#rollonausteritymax.

Anyone interested in seeing Independence should be looking to Labour, not the Conservatives.

Apparently the cyclical guarantee of Tories being c***s every other decade, then Labour coming in as the supposed good guys is absolutely fine with plenty of Scottish people. It's the refreshingly familiar, depressing reality than Better Together sold us when even Ruth Davidson took to promising a Labour 2015 GE win.

If (when) Labour completely give up on Scotland and it's six Waitroses, the Union is running on fumes.

If (when) Labour completely give up on Scotland and it's six Waitroses, the Union is running on fumes.

They gave up on Scotland the minute Milliband said he'd rather Cameron stayed on as PM than work with the SNP.

We need to see where we are in 5 years time, another Tory majority could seal another referendum. The only way there is going to be another one though is if YES is guaranteed to win. When Independence opinion polls start getting released we could have a better idea.

They gave up on Scotland the minute Milliband said he'd rather Cameron stayed on as PM than work with the SNP.

We need to see where we are in 5 years time, another Tory majority could seal another referendum. The only way there is going to be another one though is if YES is guaranteed to win. When Independence opinion polls start getting released we could have a better idea.

I don't think we'll see another referendum until YES is getting 60% regularly in polls.

"Is anyone here of the thought process" stopped reading there, who f*ckin really talks like that?

Danny Wilson your new signing does. I quote

' I have had almost 2 months since the season finished and my thought process has changed '

You better start ignoring him too Rob.

Truly outrageous stuff talking like that so it is... :1eye:blink:

Probably not mate.

Most of the 55 will continue to either swan about ignorant of Politics or continue to embrace British Nationalism come hell or high water.

Something seriously major needs to happen to made indy happen in less than 10 years. I feel we're decades away from it, unfortunately :(

Let it go. There was a fair referendum and Scottish voters had their say.

Let it go. There was a fair referendum and Scottish voters had their say.

Think that's why he said 'sooner rather later' - denoting something that might happen in the future, not in the past like the 2014 referendum.

Here to help.

Wrong,those that were eligible to vote had there say

A salient point. Anyone who thinks that working age Scottish voters voted No is quite literally having a giraffe.

And if any of the usual Unionists want to be predictably pedantic and challenge me on this, I invite them to direct their questions to that wall over there.

A salient point. Anyone who thinks that working age Scottish voters voted No is quite literally having a giraffe.

And if any of the usual Unionists want to be predictably pedantic and challenge me on this, I invite them to direct their questions to that wall over there.

All that matters is that there was a No vote. There's no point in picking over the corpse of voting intentions - unless it's to look at a strategy for an indyref2.

I think one major obstacle to a quick referendum are the well-publicised statements from both Salmond and Sturgeon that this was a once in a generation decision. For me that rules out another vote for at least the next decade.

All that matters is that there was a No vote. There's no point in picking over the corpse of voting intentions - unless it's to look at a strategy for an indyref2.

I think one major obstacle to a quick referendum are the well-publicised statements from both Salmond and Sturgeon that this was a once in a generation decision. For me that rules out another vote for at least the next decade.

As has already been alluded to, there is already an ongoing strategy in place - to wait a few winters.

Archived