When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Scotland wants Independence I think the SNP or SNP/Greens will be able to get a parliamentary majority. Hold off, no rush. Think if the SNP rush into one they'll loose, then it really would be curtains.

39 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I wonder what would happen if SNP announced a devo max referendum for this parliament. Surely a better chance of success and fits into the gradualist approach.

Very much this

Get the third option on the ballot paper and word towards it gradually

Why oh why it has to be the unwinnable Yes/No referendum is beyond me. I hope they don't f**k this up but I imagine they'll go with the straight Yes/No question again and we'll unfortunately lose tbh.

• Sturgeon says she will not introduce legislation for a second independence referendum in the Scottish parliament immediately.
  • She says she will come back to the Scottish parliament next autumn. By then it is clearer what Brexit will involve, she says. At that point she will set out what she thinks should happen next

So.....no change.

So, legislation for Indyref 2 not to be introduced right away, but to go back and argue for single market access based on the paper previously published. At the end of the negotiation period for Brexit, make a judgment call on whether said negotiations are good enough and then proceed with Indyref then if required.

Not a huge change from where we were before with it. The chances of a Brexit settlement that won't trigger it are small, and if not we'd still get one before the next Holyrood election.

Not brilliant, but not terrible either. Just a bit of a muddle.

Interesting to note the last bit there where they talked about renewal of purpose in government, with the intention of coming back after the Summer with 'bold' policies.

Believe that majority of Scots felt after last June that Indy Ref 2 would have to wait until after Brexit is completed. Also that the Scottish Government's efforts in the meantime should be to concentrate on influencing Westminster's exit strategy whilst maximising the most out of current devolved powers. Despite the dissenting voices still clamouring for an immediate return to the ballot box, Sturgeon appears to have listened.

6 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Believe that majority of Scots felt after last June that Indy Ref 2 would have to wait until after Brexit is completed. Also that the Scottish Government's efforts in the meantime should be to concentrate on influencing Westminster's exit strategy whilst maximising the most out of current devolved powers. Despite the dissenting voices still clamouring for an immediate return to the ballot box, Sturgeon appears to have listened.

The plan is to wait until after the negotiations of Brexit have taken shape, not to wait until we've sailed merrily of the end of the world.

I think Sturgeon has just made it clear to everyone (msm in particular) what the plan is, and I agree not much has changed. The challenge to the other party's to support a Scottish voice at the Brexit negotiations will be a telling one.

8 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

The Lib Dem leader Willie Rennie says, since Sturgeon is still reserving the right to call for a referendum next autumn, nothing has changed. Why won’t she rule one out?

Willie gets it.

So Rennie has finally abandoned the EU entirely? He now wants Scotland out, out, out, no matter how the Tories' Brexit is framed? 

So Rennie has finally abandoned the EU entirely? He now wants Scotland out, out, out, no matter how the Tories' Brexit is framed? 

You could put England and Wales in a big gun and fire them at the sun and Rennie would be delighted as long we were along for the ride.
Not much different from the Union Jack fanciers on here.