When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I’ve prepared a thorough list of all the countries who have asked to rejoin the United Kingdom since gaining Independence from it,
1) no one

I think I posted about this before but Malta did vote to integrate with the UK. Found that very interesting.

57 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There is also the reality that any referendum campaign won't really get in to full swing until a date is fixed.

We saw last time round that part of the No vote was very soft - it's those soft No voters that will need to be the target - those that were not politically opposed but wary of change.

As I recall, when the last campaign started Yes was sitting about circa 30% in the polls and ended up at circa 45%.  A similar move next time will surely see a Yes victory.

I can't see many Yessers last time changing to No next time.  Of course things can change, again us leaving the EU might have an influence on people's voting intentions.  A calamitous Brexit might put folk off constitutional change for decades!  

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I’ve prepared a thorough list of all the countries who have asked to rejoin the United Kingdom since gaining Independence from it,
1) no one

The Chagos Islanders would rather have UK sovereignty than Mauritius, despite the diabolical way they've been treated. 

Hong Kong?

I don’t think Hong Kong voted for independence. The UK had a lease on them which was due to expire and we agreed to hand them back to China rather than hold on to them.
I don’t think they were gained by the UK under the most auspicious circumstances in the first place, was it not under British rule after the opium wars which were basically fought so we could sell drugs to the Chinese.

I support independence and think we are ready.  My comment was about the country as a whole and by ready, in context meant, "willing/desiring to take the step".  
People can point to 51% wanting another poll.  A majority, yes.  That is a disappointing result to be even asked the question.  Never mind actually voting in favour.  This is during the biggest British crisis in decades.  And a majority still clings to it in non-binding polling.  That's not the signs of a new state.
My original comment was about what constitutional framework might get '97 level of support from cross party.  I understand it's pie in the sky at the moment, i was just throwing it out there.
Brexit has shown small majorities are possibly not the best for building new constitutions.  
51% want another poll now ( well very soon anyway)
What were the other options? Usually something like next 5 years, next ten years, or never. I imagine those in favour of a vote at some point are well above 60% and won't to be too worried if it is early, indeed many folk not wanting a vote now may be Yes voters lacking the confidence in being able to win a second referendum so soon after 2014

7 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I don’t think Hong Kong voted for independence. The UK had a lease on them which was due to expire and we agreed to hand them back to China rather than hold on to them.
I don’t think they were gained by the UK under the most auspicious circumstances in the first place, was it not under British rule after the opium wars which were basically fought so we could sell drugs to the Chinese.

They would certainly have preferred British rule to Chinese before the handover..

Saying that, after Thatcher shafted them, Britain wasn't exactly flavour of the month there.

Just now, LeeVanTeeth said:

They would certainly have preferred British rule to Chinese before the handover..

Saying that, after Thatcher shafted them, Britain wasn't exactly flavour of the month there.

I'm not sure Thatcher shafted them. The New Territories were on a lease which expired in 1997. The rest of it had no freshwater supplies and was militarily indefensible. There was never going to be any other outcome than reincorporation into China.

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I'm not sure Thatcher shafted them. The New Territories were on a lease which expired in 1997. The rest of it had no freshwater supplies and was militarily indefensible. There was never going to be any other outcome than reincorporation into China.

I was meaning she shafted them by not allowing as many as possible to relocate to Britain and shamefully it wasn't only Tories who agreed with her on this, though a special mention for Paddy Ashcroft who strongly opposed her.

1 minute ago, LeeVanTeeth said:

I was meaning she shafted them by not allowing as many as possible to relocate to Britain and shamefully it wasn't only Tories who agreed with her on this, though a special mention for Paddy Ashcroft who strongly opposed her.

Fair enough. The Canadians were far more savvy than we were.

I was joking based on news tonight, the storming of the parliament and the hoisting of the old colonial flag.

On 30/06/2019 at 16:12, Stinky Bone said:

Listen I am really sorry, but I am having difficulty understanding anything you have posted here. 

If you are capable of editing your post, then I would be interested in reading it.  At the moment it just looks like a bad game of scrabble. 

Sorry for delay and doubt I’ll provide any clarification.

the proponents for an independent Scotland will be required to hold hands with and walk through the changes with the uk folk. 

A bit like the “ though I walk through the valley of death ...” (not sure of quote)  in order to assuage the fear. Seems fair to me . Otherwise would be like kicking your kids out without any training. There might be more of them and quite incapable but if not properly instructed they’ll just wreck everything. 

They didnt vote for Independence and ask for it to be taken away. Chagos islanders is an entirely different scandal.
Ask people in Jamaica, Australia, Canada and New Zealand etc if they want British rule brought back.
I was only joking based on the colonial flag been put back up in parliament yesterday.
It really is quite serious situation

I was only joking based on the colonial flag been put back up in parliament yesterday.
It really is quite serious situation

I don’t disagree, but it is the other side of the world and they are not ‘like us’! So it is difficult to get people here too concerned about it.
However if it involved someone on ‘ Love Island’ I am sure it would be front page news in the Red Tops.