When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

Didn't it used to be pre Salmond that a majority at westminster would be enough. 

Maggie Thatcher said that, safe in the knowledge that it wouldn't happen in her lifetime.  And fair play to her she timed it perfectly. 

On 31/01/2021 at 09:56, SandyCromarty said:

Biden has a huge Irish familial attachment and is more than aware of the Irish peoples struggle for Independence from england, as such I have no doubt he would view the Scottish peoples desire for Independence favourably.

Ireland never gained independence from England.

On 30/01/2021 at 19:35, The_Kincardine said:

Dreary fucking me, Mr Three Word User Name.

You've forgotten the most basic argument of all:  Why should we even consider the partitioning of our nation state on the say so of a shower of Glengarried-up daft wee tartan gonks?

intro-1608732996.jpg

I see that is the media ramping up the pro union stuff talking about how it would see scotlands gdp take a huge hit in increased trade costs with the ruk.

Maybe i am wrong but why would there be increased trade costs? Scotland and england are each other biggest trade partners (i think) so why would they want to see each other have these huge extra costs. I can understand with the EU wanting to make it difficult to discourage other countries from leaving but it is not really the same here. Wales are already on about getting independence.

Going from totally free trade within the UK to having a border - even with a trade deal - would still generate frictions that add up. If we had a different currency, for example, that would create costs.

It's unlikely that a trade deal would be as comprehensive as what we have now. Plus there's Brexit related consequences.

4 hours ago, Aufc said:

I see that is the media ramping up the pro union stuff talking about how it would see scotlands gdp take a huge hit in increased trade costs with the ruk.

Maybe i am wrong but why would there be increased trade costs? Scotland and england are each other biggest trade partners (i think) so why would they want to see each other have these huge extra costs. I can understand with the EU wanting to make it difficult to discourage other countries from leaving but it is not really the same here. Wales are already on about getting independence.

This mornings GMS headliner was a prime example quoting an LSE report on how Independence from the UK would cost Scotland more than Brexit did, Scotland rejoining the EU would lead to greater economic losses and Scotland would be poorer.

This type of anti Independence shite comes as no surprise as it does on a daily basis now and  there would be no prizes for guessing who sponsored the report, the douglas ross's will no be quoting the report constantly, it really is Goebbels type propaganda.

What these anti Independence fools fail to realise is that Scots like me want Indpendence at any cost, we don't care about unionist economic scare stories, whatever Independence and the freedom to chart our own course brings us we will meet the challenge head on, it's in our nature. 

And as for how rejoining the EU would make Scotland poorer, lets look at Irelands position within the EU, through their membership Ireland has dramatically reduced it's  trade dependence on the UK and by diversifying in Europe has in the process it's national income per head has overtaken the UK's. Why didn't the LSE mention that?

To be fair, i am not independence at any cost. I am very much driven with the thought process that any decision needs to ensure a better future for scotland.

The issue is that you can’t really make a fully informed decision because no-one actually knows what the finances for an independent scotland look like.

Thus you then need to look at who is in power should scotland be independent and whether you think they can ensure scotland prospers. Before the coronavirus, myself and many others would have suggested the SNP were these people. To be honest, i am not sure if that would still be the case now

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

This mornings GMS headliner was a prime example quoting an LSE report on how Independence from the UK would cost Scotland more than Brexit did, Scotland rejoining the EU would lead to greater economic losses and Scotland would be poorer.

This type of anti Independence shite comes as no surprise as it does on a daily basis now and  there would be no prizes for guessing who sponsored the report, the douglas ross's will no be quoting the report constantly, it really is Goebbels type propaganda.

What these anti Independence fools fail to realise is that Scots like me want Indpendence at any cost, we don't care about unionist economic scare stories, whatever Independence and the freedom to chart our own course brings us we will meet the challenge head on, it's in our nature. 

And as for how rejoining the EU would make Scotland poorer, lets look at Irelands position within the EU, through their membership Ireland has dramatically reduced it's  trade dependence on the UK and by diversifying in Europe has in the process it's national income per head has overtaken the UK's. Why didn't the LSE mention that?

Sandy- I totally get it that people like you want independence at any cost.

10,20% poorer, you’re not bothered - I get it.

I felt like that regarding Brexit. I wasnt bothered.

Its all about sovereignty.

However, you’re problem is that you’ve got loads of people to convince who are bothered about their own personal prosperity.

Andrew Wilson of the Growth Commission, predicted about 10 years of austerity. No problem to you.

Anyway, regarding the LSE report. Where was it wrong?

No good calling academic reports ‘shite’.

You need to come up with coherent responses.

Edited by Dawson Park Boy
Spelling

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Anyway, regarding the LSE report. Where was it wrong?

No good calling academic reports ‘shite’.

You need to come up with coherent responses.

How about this:

The authors stressed their analysis only covered the impacts of increasing trading costs, and excluded other economic or fiscal issues post-independence, such as cuts or increases in inward investment, changes in immigration, currency changes or tax changes

So it's a pretty one eyed analysis, projecting GDP trends decades into the future on a Scotland frozen in the current moment.