When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I stayed in peebles hydro last night. About half the staff here are eu migrants. I guess they stole these jobs from British people who were desperate for low paid waitressing and cleaning jobs in the back arse of nowhere. 

I'm in the company of EU and non-EU migrants all the time, if you look for differences you'll find them(accent and skin colour being the most obvious ones), I don't hear/see them, I see hard-working people looking to provide for their families and I hear decent folk that really quite like this corner of the Scotland and the accepting "who gives a f**k" nature of the vast majority of people living here.

Wish we could get a better description than migrant, it's a tainted word for modern day Scotland. 

4 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I'm in the company of EU and non-EU migrants all the time, if you look for differences you'll find them(accent and skin colour being the most obvious ones), I don't hear/see them, I see hard-working people looking to provide for their families and I hear decent folk that really quite like this corner of the Scotland and the accepting "who gives a f**k" nature of the vast majority of people living here.

Wish we could get a better description than migrant, it's a tainted word for modern day Scotland. 

I agree. I don't know anyone who is bothered by migrants in Scotland. It's probably because pro-rata there are far fewer of them than south of the border.

It's quite illuminating to learn that large swathes of the Asian , African and West Indian British voted for Brexit.

I'm still working that in to our 'English  White Van Man' is the root of all evil stereotype.

4 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Britain isn't alone in experiencing globalisation. In the European context, confidence in the EU is on the rise amongst the struggling southern countries and the supposed successors to the Brexit/Trump populism hype train all look like busted flushes in the West. I would agree that globalisation has had its winners and losers so far but the question is why it's led Britain towards a stop the world reaction that we aren't seeing in comparitive neighbouring countries.

A small part of that will be the fact that Brexit is a bit of an off-putting laughing stock already but the bigger reason imo, is that Britain's economic strategy for decades (or perhaps lack there of) has been asking for this to happen. Almost entirely capital-generated growth; brokered in an unhealthily small portion of the country; with welfare dependency and consumer debt keeping large ex-industrial swathes of the island on life support. Doesn't really do much for Dave from Barnsley 

I would sympathise with the people who have felt the need to "bite back" if I didn't feel they were massively shooting themselves in the foot.

Other major countries have used globalisation to their advantage and not just in financial services but to the benefit of industries across their land. If I was one of the people you're describing, I'd be wondering why my standard of living and opportunities to improve them are so bleak in comparison to a similar person from one of the European project's many success stories. A completely unrestricted Conservative Britain probably wouldn't be my idea of a solution.

It should be no surprise that all the chat about "listening to the forgotten communities" has already been pushed aside for talk of tax havens and deregulation. The biggest losers from Brexit is going to be its voters.

No-one has ever pretended that the Tories are the saviour of the working class so that's why they vote Ukip.

5 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

^^^^poor April Fools?

I give up.

Just because you say it is debunked, doesn't make it so.

In your head you've got a lot of prejudice going on which is shaping your way that you see the world. It's pretty sad that you come across as small minded idiot when I think you are trying to portray you are someone of great insight and who's views demand respect.

Scotland's people have benefitted greatly from the ability to emigrate, and have welcomed people from around the world too. Just because you lack skills when you migrate, doesn't make you less of a human being, you seek opportunity that you may not have in your own country. Someone close to me is related to a Scot who emigrated with his parents, a weaver and the proprietor of a sweetie shop. Not high skilled migrants I think you would agree. They sought a better life in the US. He grew up to become a steel magnate and one of the richest (if not the richest) men on the planet. A Bill Gates of his time, he then distributed his wealth into trusts to benefit mankind and advocate world peace. The US benefitted and so did the UK from his philanthropy. So maybe you should reassess what migration is about.

So no, I don't have political views based on where my mother "squatted down and squirted you out" as you so crudely put it. In fact that couldn't be further from the truth.

Immigration forces the indigenous population to up their game, whilst we can look after those who are not able to via the welfare state. It is not a race to the bottom as the anti immigration folk will argue.

It's debunked not because I say so but because the Tory Party was officially on the Remain side......Moving On!

I don't know why you think I have prejudice..........against whom? 

If I explain why I think certain things have happened or why certain groups have taken the action means I have that insight but doesn't mean I take on their views or beliefs. You need to learn the difference between someone commenting on something and someone declaring something. Quite different.

Also, don't be frightened to insult me directly.. Your slightly ambiguous way of doing so is a bit tedious.....even when your insult is misplaced.

The history lesson you so generously outlined above is interesting,if well documented, but what happened in history is not necessarily a model for application in today's quite different society. Immigration should not be a tool to force the indigenous to 'up their game'. That is so simplistic and prejudiced to be almost fascist in it's implications.

The model should be to invest heavily and permanantly in the indigenous population and not to use immigration as a cheap , get rich quick tool forbig business

18 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Anybody else heading down to the Politics Bar over the weekend for a cup of coffee and a slice of freshly baked politics banter? I hear it's been doing a roaring trade since the Scottish Parliament's vote on Tuesday. 

If Banter Rat isn't there I'm not interested

I don't think there will be another. The SNP will have no majority (again) even with the Greens after the next election. So no mandate = no ref. Tick Tock

Oh well, back in our box we go then.
I'm ever so glad you signed up to put us out of our misery.

1 hour ago, MICKYMACK said:

I don't think there will be another. The SNP will have no majority (again) even with the Greens after the next election. So no mandate = no ref. Tick Tock

So an acceptance that majority vote = solid  mandate 

Delighted you're endorsing #Scotref  even if you're not on the side of Scotland.  

10 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

Hospitality industry in this country will be well and truly shafted by this madness.

The hospitality industry should maybe then get their arse in gear and pay reasonable wages for reasonable hours and stop whining about how they have to rely on foreign staff because Britons won't work for pennies with shitty work conditions.

The hospitality industry should maybe then get their arse in gear and pay reasonable wages for reasonable hours and stop whining about how they have to rely on foreign staff because Britons won't work for pennies with shitty work conditions.

The £6 pint will be known as the Brexit. Spent the night in Cullen where there's only one pub left open where there used to be 4 or 5. Hardly a sign of exploitation.

Willie Rennie yesterday:

“The situation with Gibraltar is just a taste of how an independent Scotland would be treated in any future negotiations. For the SNP to believe that Spain will simply bend over backwards and just waive Scotland into full EU or even Efta membership is delusional. The Gibraltar situation should be a hard lesson for the SNP that Spain will look after their own interest and that means making sure that nothing aids Catalonia’s bid for independence. Easy access for an independent Scotland into the EU would clearly be something the Spanish would not want.”

Spanish Foreign Minister today:

"If it happens legally and constitutionally, we would not block it."

1 minute ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Willie Rennie yesterday:

“The situation with Gibraltar is just a taste of how an independent Scotland would be treated in any future negotiations. For the SNP to believe that Spain will simply bend over backwards and just waive Scotland into full EU or even Efta membership is delusional. The Gibraltar situation should be a hard lesson for the SNP that Spain will look after their own interest and that means making sure that nothing aids Catalonia’s bid for independence. Easy access for an independent Scotland into the EU would clearly be something the Spanish would not want.”

Spanish Foreign Minister today:

"If it happens legally and constitutionally, we would not block it."

Wee Willie Rennie's timing is impeccable as he's caught red handed with his scaremongering