When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

What a very Unionist/Britnat response! That was when the United Kingdom joining the Common Market. 

The acquis to join the European Union didn't exist then. The correct Unionist reply would have been 2009.

You're even more ignorant than I thought. 

11 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Scotland has been part of a member state of the EU for over 40 years and unless there's been some covered up clandestine sweeping change to laws and legislation; legally, Scotland complies  with EU law and statute. 

Membership of the EU if an independent Scotland wished to join would be the most seamless and straightforward entry the supernational entity had ever seen. 

That's all wishful thinking. An independent Scotland would have to go the full accession process.

The UK, not Scotland, complies with EU law and statute. An independent Scotland would have to pass a lot of new legislation to comply with the chapters of the acquis. 

Then there is the huge elephant in the room - the currency and related issues such as the Central Bank and reducing the budget deficit. 

Scotland's financial contribution to the EU budget will need to be negotiated too. Seamless? You must be kidding!

11 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

What a very Unionist/Britnat response! That was when the United Kingdom joining the Common Market. 

The acquis to join the European Union didn't exist then. The correct Unionist reply would have been 2009.

You're even more ignorant than I thought. 

That's right, chap, Scotland joined the EU in 1973. 46 years of membership. That must hurt.

4 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

That's all wishful thinking. An independent Scotland would have to go the full accession process.

The UK, not Scotland, complies with EU law and statute. An independent Scotland would have to pass a lot of new legislation to comply with the chapters of the acquis. 

Then there is the huge elephant in the room - the currency and related issues such as the Central Bank and reducing the budget deficit. 

Scotland's financial contribution to the EU budget will need to be negotiated too. Seamless? You must be kidding!

:lol: For some people it will always be 2014.

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

That's right, chap, Scotland joined the EU in 1973. 46 years of membership. That must hurt.

:lol: You don't even know basic history.

Scotland joined the EEC with the UK in 1973.

The European Union was established by the Maastricht Treaty in 1993. 

Totally thick! :rolleyes:

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

Is the correct answer! :)

So why did you say 2009? I've noticed a pattern on here that posters who continually accuse other posters of being thick are invariably the very thickest.

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

:lol: 46 years of unbroken membership. 

Quite true. The EU referendum was long overdue.

We joined the EEC in 1973. We did not have a say on whether we wanted to be in a political Union, i.e.  the EU, which was established in 1993. 

3 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Quite true. The EU referendum was long overdue.

We joined the EEC in 1973. We did not have a say on whether we wanted to be in a political Union, i.e.  the EU, which was established in 1993. 

:lol: the EU was no more a political union in 1993 than it was in 1973.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So why did you say 2009? I've noticed a pattern on here that posters who continually accuse other posters of being thick are invariably the very thickest.

I was thinking of the Lisbon Treaty,  which created the EU as we know it now, came into effect.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I was thinking of the Lisbon Treaty,  which created the EU as we know it now, came into effect.

You were talking about when the conditions for membership were established. It's ok to admit you don't know what you're talking about.

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

I'm perfectly au fait with them, thanks.

So, tell me, in this "political union" of yours, when were national parliaments abolished?

Your statements prove otherwise.

Where did I say that  political union abolished national Parliaments?

30 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

An independent Scotland would have to pass a lot of new legislation to comply with the chapters of the acquis. 

like what?

What are we missing just now?

genuine question, not being snippy.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You were talking about when the conditions for membership were established. It's ok to admit you don't know what you're talking about.

The  current conditions for membership were established by the Treaty of the European Union, aka The Lisbon Treaty.

4 minutes ago, tirso said:

like what?

What are we missing just now?

genuine question, not being snippy.

Those matters which are covered by the acquis but not currently devolved - https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/policy/conditions-membership/chapters-of-the-acquis_en.

The UK is compliant is through Westminster legislation and the associated national bodies, e.g. regulatory agencies. The Scottish Government would have set up our own independent version of those bodies.

Much would depend on the Withdrawal Agreement with rUK, especially the Bank of England if Scotland is to use the Pound after independence. Most of it should not be a problem, just a matter of time and money. However, the view that an Scotland could join the EU on Independence Day is laughable.