When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

What a very Unionist/Britnat response! That was when the United Kingdom joining the Common Market. 

The acquis to join the European Union didn't exist then. The correct Unionist reply would have been 2009.

You're even more ignorant than I thought. 

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

35 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

:lol: You don't even know basic history.

Scotland joined the EEC with the UK in 1973.

The European Union was established by the Maastricht Treaty in 1993. 

Totally thick! :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Those matters which are covered by the acquis but not currently devolved - https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/policy/conditions-membership/chapters-of-the-acquis_en.

The UK is compliant is through Westminster legislation and the associated national bodies, e.g. regulatory agencies. The Scottish Government would have set up our own independent version of those bodies.

Much would depend on the Withdrawal Agreement with rUK, especially the Bank of England if Scotland is to use the Pound after independence. Most of it should not be a problem, just a matter of time and money. However, the view that an Scotland could join the EU on Independence Day is laughable. 

The view that Scotland couldn't join on Independence Day is laughable.

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

The view that Scotland couldn't join on Independence Day is laughable.

I would counter that the very opposite is true, no country has gained independence and joined the EU on the same day.  The Lisbon Treaty contained changes to the accession process to allow overseas territories to be re-classified easily but still contains no alternative to the methods of membership open to a new member and be under no illusion, Scotland will be a new member.

Those matters which are covered by the acquis but not currently devolved - https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/policy/conditions-membership/chapters-of-the-acquis_en.
The UK is compliant is through Westminster legislation and the associated national bodies, e.g. regulatory agencies. The Scottish Government would have set up our own independent version of those bodies.
Much would depend on the Withdrawal Agreement with rUK, especially the Bank of England if Scotland is to use the Pound after independence. Most of it should not be a problem, just a matter of time and money. However, the view that an Scotland could join the EU on Independence Day is laughable. 
Sorry to push but do you have any specific examples of these bodies? I know what the acquis is. I'm interested in where we wouldn't comply and have to set up an independent body.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

I would counter that the very opposite is true, no country has gained independence and joined the EU on the same day.  The Lisbon Treaty contained changes to the accession process to allow overseas territories to be re-classified easily but still contains no alternative to the methods of membership open to a new member and be under no illusion, Scotland will be a new member.

No country has joined the EU on Independence Day having been a member for the previous 46 years. 

1 minute ago, tirso said:

Sorry to push but do you have any specific examples of these bodies? I know what the acquis is. I'm interested in where we wouldn't comply and have to set up an independent body.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

One off the top of my head would be the Freedom of Movement which also includes the methods by which Social Security provisions are co-ordinated.  At the moment, we don't have Scottish Laws that meet these requirements.  Another example would be the Companies Act 2006 which would also have to be written into Scots Law.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

One off the top of my head would be the Freedom of Movement which also includes the methods by which Social Security provisions are co-ordinated.  At the moment, we don't have Scottish Laws that meet these requirements.  Another example would be the Companies Act 2006 which would also have to be written into Scots Law.

How long would it take to translate these into Scots Law? A day? Two?

Just now, strichener said:

would we just write it in then full square with some amendments?  not being facetious.    

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

No country has joined the EU on Independence Day having been a member for the previous 46 years. 

And neither has Scotland.  I take the following straight from the EU:EUC.PNG.bf88f2d7185a2493a5e7e4534dde667f.PNG

If you assume that Scotland will just walk in on the basis of UK membership then you will also be happy to take all the terms of membership including the current UK representation (which I am sure the other members would happily accept :lol:) and maintain the current UK levels of contributions.  It is absolutely mental to think that Scotland would be able to ride into EU membership on the back of the UK's membership.

Whether we rejoin the EU or not we'll have to convert a whole raft of UK laws into Scottish law, along with setting up independent institutions. Joining the EU would make little if any difference to that.

And neither has Scotland.  I take the following straight from the EU:EUC.PNG.bf88f2d7185a2493a5e7e4534dde667f.PNG

If you assume that Scotland will just walk in on the basis of UK membership then you will also be happy to take all the terms of membership including the current UK representation (which I am sure the other members would happily accept :lol:) and maintain the current UK levels of contributions.  It is absolutely mental to think that Scotland would be able to ride into EU membership on the back of the UK's membership.

No-one is proposing Scotland ride into the EU on the back of the UK's membership.

i think it's up for debate but on balance I'd expect Scotland to make it's own application.  I dont' imagine it taking 6months but I'd love to see what the actual hang ups would be after  passing the correct legislation maintaining the status quo (as all companies and government functions would require).

Just now, welshbairn said:

Whether we rejoin the EU or not we'll have to convert a whole raft of UK laws into Scottish law, along with setting up independent institutions. Joining the EU would make little if any difference to that.

Indeed. This could all be done today with the implementation date being Independence Day. 

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

How long would it take to translate these into Scots Law? A day? Two?

The companies Act would certainly require far more than a day or two.  The Social security act would need to be written with the agreement of the EU otherwise it may actually become a barrier to entry.  If you could point me to any legislation, of substantial scope, that the devolved parliament has passed in a day or two then I would be surprised.

The companies Act would certainly require far more than a day or two.  The Social security act would need to be written with the agreement of the EU otherwise it may actually become a barrier to entry.  If you could point me to any legislation, of substantial scope, that the devolved parliament has passed in a day or two then I would be surprised.

A week then?

I struggle to see why there would be any issues given there would be no differences to current legislation.