When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I won't need to apologise - you claimed that the SNP were seen as "being a party for Catholics" - that's the same as saying it is a pro-Catholic party. 

Or did someone else post that for you?

As VT would say - thanks for playing champ.

Try again. Just read what you quoted. As I've said before I know Scottish Education has been failing for many years but the standard of your comprehension is at worryingly poor levels

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

Liar! 

On 09/08/2019 at 16:51, Malky3 said:

I had hoped that in the modern Scotland we were making some progress towards eradicating sectarianism when in 2012 we saw the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act passed into law unopposed but by 2018 the SNP had repealed the Act, and on these pages we can see why. It's sad really but it seems the Nationalist Cult needs to sow division on any grounds whatsoever to gain traction for their cause. 

You ready to talk about this yet champ ?, I mean I've only asked politely half a dozen times now.

It's just that, you like to ask questions and call people liars, but you don't seem that keen to answer them yourself, or retract your accusations when they're proven to be without merit.

It's just not cricket old chap.

How bizarre, it was you that stated Holyrood itself was an example of a Scottish Government vanity project. 
Crossrail was supplied as an example of Westminster vanity, whereas it is actually a tfl project run through an arm's length body. Enabled by primary legislation and majority financed by the government.  If the trams are not a vanity project for the Scottish government then neither is crossrail.
Do you accept that Crossrail cannot be a UK Government vanity project?
Who cares ? All I care about is the fact that we pay our population share of "national infrastructure" and then pay 100% of the cost of our own national infrastructure like the Forth Bridge.

Try again. Just read what you quoted. As I've said before I know Scottish Education has been failing for many years but the standard of your comprehension is at worryingly poor levels
Read your own quote you moron.

Why state that some people thought the SNP were "for Catholics"?

You either believe that or you refute it - you instead used it to make a petty sectarian jibe.

You've been owned all over this thread the instant you are challenged.

We can go through each of those examples if you want but lets start with Australia. What happened to the economy of Australia when it decided to fix its currency to Sterling? Did it boom or bust?  Ill save you having to look it up. Massive inflation and then deflation. Foreign investment saw poor returns. Lower demand for Australian exports and the deepest recession in Australian history.  

Cause and effect you moron. I think you'll find that this was during the Great Depression - when the entire global economy was up shit creek. Australian independence, sterlingisation or having an independent currency didn't cause this - it was the state of the global economy.

Lies, damned lies and Unionist arguments.

32 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Read your own quote you moron.

Why state that some people thought the SNP were "for Catholics"?

You either believe that or you refute it - you instead used it to make a petty sectarian jibe.

You've been owned all over this thread the instant you are challenged.

Nonsense fannybaws! I was responding to Nationalists who had invoked sectarianism by claiming all unionists were "orange order free masons". I could not have been clearer in my response as I stated I thought all that shite was behind us. 

Like I said you really need work on your comprehension skills. Can I suggest remedial reading would be a decent place to start. 

38 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Cause and effect you moron. I think you'll find that this was during the Great Depression - when the entire global economy was up shit creek. Australian independence, sterlingisation or having an independent currency didn't cause this - it was the state of the global economy.

Lies, damned lies and Unionist arguments.

Nope. Australia adopted a new currency in 1910 and tried to link it to Sterling. In 1914 Sterling stopped being linked to the Gold Standard which caused the Australian economy to suffer huge inflation. Then when Sterling was linked again with the gold standard the nominal gold price cause massive deflation which pre dated the Great Recession. It took nearly 60 years for the Australian economy to recover

Its a classic example of how not having complete control of your own fiscal levers can leave your economy wide open. Sterlingisation would be devastating for Scotland. Starting afresh with a new currency makes more sense but it will come with massive costs and risks. Nationalists who argue otherwise are playing fast and loose with all our futures. 

Edited by Malky3

Nonsense fannybaws! I was responding to Nationalists who had invoked sectarianism by claiming all unionists were "orange order free masons". I could not have been clearer in my response as I stated I thought all that shite was behind us. 
Like I said you really need work on your comprehension skills. Can I suggest remedial reading would be a decent place to start. 
At no point did you say it was not true - so why use it if you don't believe it!

Nope. Australia adopted a new currency in 1910 and tried to link it to Sterling. In 1914 Sterling stopped being linked to the Gold Standard which caused the Australian economy to suffer huge inflation. Then when Sterling was linked again with the gold standard the nominal gold price cause massive deflation which pre dated the Great Recession. It took nearly 60 years for the Australian economy to recover
Its a classic example of how not having complete control of your own fiscal levers can leave your economy wide open. Sterlingisation would be devastating for Scotland. Starting afresh with a new currency makes more sense but it will come with massive costs and risks. Nationalists who argue otherwise are playing fast and loose with all our futures. 

You really don't understand what you are cutting and pasting - do you?

The breaking of the link with the Gold Standard and its subsequent reintroduction had a knock-on effect across the global economy - it has very little to do with independence - every country that returned to the gold standard had deflation not just Australia.

It's also why monetary policy came to the fore as an economic tool.

Or are you just completely rewriting the history to make your own petty point?

Whereas the Tory party and their determination for a no deal Brexit is doing what with our futures? Being in the UK whatever the cost. Absolute madness

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You seem to miss that Crossrail was brought about by an act of parliament introduced by labour. It was literally a westminster vanity project. They put the construction/running out to tender but thats the norm. You’re clutching at a large amount of straws.

As was the Edinburgh Trams.  In fact there were two separate bills passed and the Scottish Government was behind both of them with the Transport Minister at the time stating

The Executive supports the tram scheme. We have confirmed our commitment to funding it by £375 million plus inflation. The challenge for the promoter and construction manager is to deliver efficiencies against that budget. The City of Edinburgh Council's decision in January to phase the construction of the tram network recognised the reality of the funding situation. The Scottish Executive funding, together with the £45 million that has been put forward by the council, will provide the necessary funds for the construction of the first phase from Leith to the airport

And just so there can be no doubt who ultimately allowed the tram project, in the same debate, from the same minister 

Why should we support the motion and the bill? Without the bill, there will be no tram network.

2 hours ago, AUFC90 said:
5 hours ago, strichener said:
How bizarre, it was you that stated Holyrood itself was an example of a Scottish Government vanity project. 
Crossrail was supplied as an example of Westminster vanity, whereas it is actually a tfl project run through an arm's length body. Enabled by primary legislation and majority financed by the government.  If the trams are not a vanity project for the Scottish government then neither is crossrail.
Do you accept that Crossrail cannot be a UK Government vanity project?

Who cares ? All I care about is the fact that we pay our population share of "national infrastructure" and then pay 100% of the cost of our own national infrastructure like the Forth Bridge.

In 2015, in response to a FOI, the Scottish government responded with the following

In summary, while Scotland has received a Barnett share of consequentials 
from the Crossrail project, it is not possible to identify the specific 
amount received. 

In the document linked earlier in the thread showing that the Scottish Government borrowed less than forecast, one of the adjustments was for Crossrail consequentials.

19 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
29 minutes ago, strichener said:

Wasn't it a Labour policy ? I'm sure the SNP were against it. Like any Scottish Labour infrastructure project it was late and over budget. Was pretty much par of the course for the "Scottish Executive" at the time.

I don't think it was Labour policy either.  t the time the Scottish Government was Lab/Lib but it isnt relevant who the Government was at the time in the context of vanity projects.  Otherwise Crossrail would also need to be excluded as that was also a Labour government.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

As was the Edinburgh Trams.  In fact there were two separate bills passed and the Scottish Government was behind both of them with the Transport Minister at the time stating

And just so there can be no doubt who ultimately allowed the tram project, in the same debate, from the same minister 

Who was this mystery minister, Strichiner? Why do you appear reluctant to name him?

Is it because you wish to imply it's an SNP minister, rather than a Liberal Democrat minister?

Just now, scrooge1928 said:
1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:
Who was this mystery minister, Strichiner? Why do you appear reluctant to name him?
Is it because you wish to imply it's an SNP minister, rather than a Liberal Democrat minister?

It was Tavish Scott.

I know. So does Strichiner.

He didn't appear to want anyone else to realise this though.