When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Liar!
Sterlingisation is the current SNP policy. Some party activists want it discussed at conference. If they do I look forward to hearing an honest and frank assessment of how much that option would cost Scotland and what the risks would be. I also half expect Fred Goodwin to be appointed head of the new central bank. [emoji849]
You clearly don't have clue - the discussion took place at the Spring Conference 2019. There was a clear shift away from any long-term sterlingisation policy to one that was to keep sterling for as short as possible a period until an iCurrency was established.

I've said before that I am quite long in the tooth, and sadly I've seen all this nonsense before. Back in the 60's and 70's when I was growing up the SNP were seen by many in the West Of Scotland as being a party for Catholics. It's kind of sad to see that after nearly 60 years Scottish politics hasn't really changed. In the last few posts some Nationalist dinosaurs have decided to lump all who fail to follow the Nationalist Cult as Freemasons, Orange Order, protestant, Rangers Supporting Royalists.  I had hoped that in the modern Scotland we were making some progress towards eradicating sectarianism when in 2012 we saw the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act passed into law unopposed but by 2018 the SNP had repealed the Act, and on these pages we can see why. It's sad really but it seems the Nationalist Cult needs to sow division on any grounds whatsoever to gain traction for their cause. 

I won't need to apologise - you claimed that the SNP were seen as "being a party for Catholics" - that's the same as saying it is a pro-Catholic party. 

Or did someone else post that for you?

As VT would say - thanks for playing champ.

58 minutes ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

I see Malky still hasn't explained how the UK can close rhe huge black hole in UK finance (regularly over 100 billion) which is certain to grow post-Brexit. 

Perhaps the UK separatists can provide a fully costed plan as to how they'd pay off the multi-Trillion pound debt?  

Would the NHS become fully privatised? 

Will stealth taxes rise again? 

Is the UK really viable as a going concern? 

Why does anybody need to reduce the deficit or repay the debt? It's perfectly sustainable if maybe a bit higher than comfortable. Don't believe the tory lies. 

I suspect that all of the above, except possibly the NHS privatisation would be as much issues for an independent Scotland. 

Not a "UK separatist" by the way, but your Swabian housewife fallacy needs challenged. 

47 minutes ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

Overspending by 30-100 billion via this yawning catastrophic black hole in the UK finances before we leave the single market makes any rational thinker question the viability of the UK.   We're be closing in on £1,000 per citizen in debt repayment interest soon.   Surely it's time to say the heavily indebted UK is no longer viable?   

Perhaps you can outline the enormous cuts needed for the UK to stop bleeding money like it is at present? 

Presumably you are adjusting that interest figure to account for the effect of inflation on the value of the debt? 

If not why not? 

The actual cost of new government debt is negative - that's right, investors pay the government to back their capital for minimal erosion of value. 

The UK has a central bank which means that it can print money to pay the interest if needed, and there is enough slack to do this without causing inflation. 

An independent Scotland would be a smaller currency bloc an more vulnerable to speculators, although probably not fatally, but this could affect borrowing costs at the margins. 

Scotland currently has nothing. I'm sure something sensible could be sorted, but any time in the currency union without full control of the monetary levers poses a risk to the economy. 

Do you think Scotland will leave the UK without any debt? 

I don't think currency or debt are insurmountable obstacles to independence but to pretend they're good arguments for it is silly. 

1 hour ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

Overspending by 30-100 billion via this yawning catastrophic black hole in the UK finances before we leave the single market makes any rational thinker question the viability of the UK.   We're be closing in on £1,000 per citizen in debt repayment interest soon.   Surely it's time to say the heavily indebted UK is no longer viable?   

Perhaps you can outline the enormous cuts needed for the UK to stop bleeding money like it is at present? 

Stopping or completing Brexit would do it. Take the uncertainty out of the market and the UK will boom

I probably shouldn't be by now, but I'm still amazed at the happiness people feel over running Scotland down and pointing out every negative of independence, while ignoring the fact that right now has to be the most depressing period in politics in the UK since the 80s. No matter how shite it gets...rule brittania. Absolute Stockholm syndrome victims

8 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Erm, yes it is you absolute danger. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48069470

'It means that the SNP's official policy is, for the first time, to replace sterling with a new Scottish currency after independence.'

Now, the OBFA ?

And what happens before it becomes practically possible? Sterlingisation? 

24 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

We already have Sterling, it's our currency, there's no "isation" about it. Unless you think it's England's currency? Now what about the OBFA?

Anyone in any doubt as whether Nicola could achieve independence for Scotland, and proceed from there to lead our country to bigger and better things please see this interview :

Apologies if this has been posted before.

https://womenintheworld.com/2017/04/06/nicola-sturgeon-its-not-enough-to-be-a-woman-in-politics-you-have-to-do-the-right-thing/

You have implied that sterlingisation was the policy - no mention of an iCurrency.

Of course there will be a period where sterling will need to be used - there is past precedent in Australia, Barbados, British West Africa, Cyprus, Fiji, British India, the Irish Free State, Jamaica, New Zealand, South Africa and Southern Rhodesia. 

On 16/08/2019 at 14:22, Baxter Parp said:

So Holyrood wasn't Scottish Government, trams were proposed by and the works overseen by Edinburgh's Labour council and final funding was provided against the Scottish Government's wishes. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Trams Looks like you've got f**k all, bud.

How bizarre, it was you that stated Holyrood itself was an example of a Scottish Government vanity project. 

Crossrail was supplied as an example of Westminster vanity, whereas it is actually a tfl project run through an arm's length body. Enabled by primary legislation and majority financed by the government.  If the trams are not a vanity project for the Scottish government then neither is crossrail.

Do you accept that Crossrail cannot be a UK Government vanity project?

How bizarre, it was you that stated Holyrood itself was an example of a Scottish Government vanity project. 
Crossrail was supplied as an example of Westminster vanity, whereas it is actually a tfl project run through an arm's length body. Enabled by primary legislation and majority financed by the government.  If the trams are not a vanity project for the Scottish government then neither is crossrail.
Do you accept that Crossrail cannot be a UK Government vanity project?

You seem to miss that Crossrail was brought about by an act of parliament introduced by labour. It was literally a westminster vanity project. They put the construction/running out to tender but thats the norm. You’re clutching at a large amount of straws.

13 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You have implied that sterlingisation was the policy - no mention of an iCurrency.

Of course there will be a period where sterling will need to be used - there is past precedent in Australia, Barbados, British West Africa, Cyprus, Fiji, British India, the Irish Free State, Jamaica, New Zealand, South Africa and Southern Rhodesia. 

We can go through each of those examples if you want but lets start with Australia. What happened to the economy of Australia when it decided to fix its currency to Sterling? Did it boom or bust? 

Ill save you having to look it up. Massive inflation and then deflation. Foreign investment saw poor returns. Lower demand for Australian exports and the deepest recession in Australian history. 

13 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
14 hours ago, welshbairn said:
We already have Sterling, it's our currency, there's no "isation" about it. Unless you think it's England's currency? Now what about the OBFA?

He thinks the SNP are the pro-Catholic party . . .

Liar!