New build houses

New builds are a pile of shite. IMO. Better off going for a Victorian property. That is built correctly and has a bit of character.

I used to live in an old tenement and the front room was about the same size as my brothers new build house. New builds are a total rip off if you ask me.

Someone told me that most new builds have a usable life of about 80 years before they basically fall down. Don't know if that's true or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was like a problem for us, we moved here and google maps hadn't recognised the postcode and every single delivery we had was a farce, every single time we had to phone the drives up to say where to come and when we moved in some mail kept coming to the flat despite the names being all over the place. It was actually a farce for nearly a year

My sister's having that bother now! :lol:

I was meaning more from the point of view of the sale and purchase though. Because they stuck in a made up postcode for the sake of having something in the text box, when it came to exchanging contracts and completing the sale, everything went a bit tits up because someone in some office somewhere didn't bother to update it when the official postcode was decided. No one's admitted fault but the bank were quick to send them an offer of compensation when the word "ombudsman" was mooted.

When we bought our house looked at few new builds beforehand one thing that sticks in my mind was "garage"

Went along to one and the missus clio wouldnt fit into it i brought it to the salesmans attention he told me "its a more of a laundry room"i then should him the brochure that said garage and he kind of shrugged his shoulders so i just left right there and then and bought a house from another company

I used to live in an old tenement and the front room was about the same size as my brothers new build house. New builds are a total rip off if you ask me.

Someone told me that most new builds have a usable life of about 80 years before they basically fall down. Don't know if that's true or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd be surprised if they lasted 80 years. Chipboard floors, breeze block walls and cardboard doors. Nope, no thanks.

Bought the show home in my estate. It was in aberdeen when buying a house when market was mental. They knew we really wanted it so probably paid a lot more. It has been kitted out in top of the range furniture but seems to be a lack of thinking when it was built. The kitchen ks shite. We are going to be extending in a couple of years. Bought it with barratt and they are pretty efficient when there is an issue

Got a triple garage which is pretty sweet

I'd be surprised if they lasted 80 years. Chipboard floors, breeze block walls and cardboard doors. Nope, no thanks.

When these boxes are put up(typically kit houses) they are built in all weathers.

There is nothing so heart breaking to see a house(when it's been pishing with rain) roofed and membrane sealed when the timber frame is soaking wet, you can guess what happens next.

I stayed in a friend's 'new build' flat for a while and was given the offer to buy at valuation price. Turned it down as the whole complex was looking tired with cracks in the walls etc after just 10-15 years.

Got myself a solid 60's build (semi detached) house instead and hear very little noise next door. Not a single problem with the house to date (touch wood).

Eta: Structure aside, the thing I dislike the most about the majority of new build houses are probably the pathetic gardens which have a whole bunch of neighbouring windows overlooking them. Zero privacy.

My first buy was a flat in an old Georgian Mill conversion in Dunfermline, the ceiling still had the original cornicing and everything, beautiful.

Then I thought 'windows need replacing'....

£2000 per window. This was in 1995.

I sold up the following year.

And yes, new houses are not built to last like older ones. As I said, I would have no problem in moving to an ex-council house, but the missus has her heart set on one of the new builds in Loanhead.

I grew up in an ex coal board house, solid, decent sized rooms and a garage. I can't see what the problem would be....

My first buy was a flat in an old Georgian Mill conversion in Dunfermline, the ceiling still had the original cornicing and everything, beautiful.

Then I thought 'windows need replacing'....

£2000 per window. This was in 1995.

I sold up the following year.

St Leonards, next to Asda/Fine Fare?

When these boxes are put up(typically kit houses) they are built in all weathers.

There is nothing so heart breaking to see a house(when it's been pishing with rain) roofed and membrane sealed when the timber frame is soaking wet, you can guess what happens next.

Could probably think of a couple more heartbreaking scenarios than that tbh.

I suppose there's newbuilds and newbuilds, I imagine the higher end of the market will be quite well-built, but so many you see are those wee Barratty jobs that you just know have been chucked up in two weeks, a lot of the time on land that's prone to flooding and so on.

The streets are virtually never called Street, Road or even Avenue or Drive either, but twee stuff like Wynd, Gate, Way or Close.

Could probably think of a couple more heartbreaking scenarios than that tbh.

I was thinking about the poor saps that can only see their dream house fall to fucking pieces just as junior goes off to uni when they have invested in their future when there's is crumbling.

Yep, they threw up two timber frames across the road, and then left the frames exposed for three winters, got them sold though, no problem. :1eye

I rent a cracking old tenement flat. Was bit expensive over winter but the space is great and we've big garden. My friend bought a new build couple years ago, rooms are tiny and she's had heaps of problems as the quality of fittings is shit.

Archived