The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

BBC managing to give up to the minute updates on Josh Windass' Rangers debut, but haven't mentioned a goal we scored over five minutes ago. Great, unbiased, journalism.

BBC having an absolute nightmare with the Albion Rovers v Morton game, despite having realised other games went to penalties.

Cnf51izXEAA1bm_.jpg

Cnf7DGeWYAAQs4k.jpg

Edited by Stu

Looks like whoever at the BBC was responsible for reporting that score couldn't even bother to acquaint themselves with the structure of the competition they're reporting on. No surprise there. The radio coverage is still pretty good (focus on Rangers and Celtic aside, I think we're stuck with that) but the shite they put on their website is fkin awful.

In the Scottish Sun today.. 

" Junior Cup Holders Beith will start their first ever assault on the senior version of the Scottish Cup with a trip to Newton Stewart. "

The journalist being John Shields 

On 17/07/2016 at 06:20, resk said:

Looks like whoever at the BBC was responsible for reporting that score couldn't even bother to acquaint themselves with the structure of the competition they're reporting on. No surprise there. The radio coverage is still pretty good (focus on Rangers and Celtic aside, I think we're stuck with that) but the shite they put on their website is fkin awful.

BBC isn't responsible for reporting the score.  They get it all their information from the Press Association.

BBC isn't responsible for reporting the score.  They get it all their information from the Press Association.

Right, understood, but surely the BBC has some duty to ensure that what they put on their own website is accurate? Isn't that a main feature of journalism?

On 7/17/2016 at 06:20, resk said:

Can see both sides of this but have to agree with you. If it carries your brand, you're ultimately responsible. 

Actually, must congratulate the BBC. Not only did they mention St Johnstone in their Old Firm Gossip Column, they had a picture of David Wotherspoon as the story was about him, there was an accompanying photo that was actually David Wotherspoon, and in a Saints strip, plus they spelled his name correctly. Combined with the Scottish Cup win, I can't believe I've lived through such historic times.

In the Scottish Sun today.. 

" Junior Cup Holders Beith will start their first ever assault on the senior version of the Scottish Cup with a trip to Newton Stewart. "

The journalist being John Shields 

I must have imagined seeing Beith playing Airdrie United 5 years ago.

2 hours ago, resk said:

Right, understood, but surely the BBC has some duty to ensure that what they put on their own website is accurate? Isn't that a main feature of journalism?

I've had several back and forths with people at the BBC about the quality of information on their Scottish football websites and every time they say they are reliant on the Press Association for their information which is bought in and that they will report back complaints to the PA.  To be fair the BBC can only exercise quality control over its own content but on the whole journalism across the board is in steep decline with smaller and smaller staffs going huge amounts of work.  Very little is checked or verified due to turn around times for content and when people use the internet as a source you are always going to have problems.

I do believe there is a shoddy attitude at the BBC concerning Scottish content but there is also bigger problem across the whole industry.