The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've had several back and forths with people at the BBC about the quality of information on their Scottish football websites and every time they say they are reliant on the Press Association for their information which is bought in and that they will report back complaints to the PA.  To be fair the BBC can only exercise quality control over its own content but on the whole journalism across the board is in steep decline with smaller and smaller staffs going huge amounts of work.  Very little is checked or verified due to turn around times for content and when people use the internet as a source you are always going to have problems.

I do believe there is a shoddy attitude at the BBC concerning Scottish content but there is also bigger problem across the whole industry.

This is the BBC we're talking about. They sent 17 journos to cover a quick news briefing in Brussels and 83 people from BBC Wales to the Euros. To listen to their tales of hardship I didn't think they even had 83 people working in BBC Wales let alone allow that number to go off on a jolly and still function properly. I suspect the real reason for their shoddiness is they just don't give a toss.

Good on you for hassling them about their service though. Keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I do believe there is a shoddy attitude at the BBC concerning Scottish content but there is also bigger problem across the whole industry.

Is there any other sports website than the BBC that gives anything other than minimal coverage of Scottish football? They appear to be the best of a very bad bunch.

57 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Is there any other sports website than the BBC that gives anything other than minimal coverage of Scottish football? They appear to be the best of a very bad bunch.

They are but when you compare the quantity (although that doesn't guarantee quality) of stuff on their website about the English lower leagues to even just the Premiership up here it's pretty poor. The vast majority of their Scottish club news is lifted from official websites.

Right, understood, but surely the BBC has some duty to ensure that what they put on their own website is accurate? Isn't that a main feature of journalism?

It's an automated system, the feed goes directly from PA to the site with no in between. PA are essentially the official UK national news agency and anything they put out is treated as verified and coming from a trusted source not relying on further verification. When you see anomalies in their football output it almost always comes back to simple human error with someone hitting the wrong thing on their laptop at a stadium.

Sky Sports News ticker was showing updates of tonights League Cup games, for some reason though they decided only Dundee United and Rangers were playing

On 7/20/2016 at 09:27, shull said:

Accies sign a player. 

Why the massive TV, Radio and Newspaper publicity? 

:whistle

23 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A quick line to say he's signed for us, followed by multiple paragraphs about Ra Selick.

Got to love sports journalism in this country.

Caught this on SSN. It was the utter disgrace you'd expect. Cursory mention of Hamilton then quickly on to his Celtic days, his love of Celtic, his Celtic tattoo, he shows you his Celtic tattoo and then in the piece de resistance the interviewer asks him that as Hamilton are playing Rangers at Ibrox in the first game of the season would he be showing the tattoo to the crowd.

The whole piece was as nauseating as it sounds and was a microcosm of everything that's wrong with the Scottish football media. What goes on is far more than just playing to the biggest audience. It's a genuine, deep rooted belief that it's only the bigot brothers that matter. It really is soul destroying stuff.

The Media creaming themselves this morning about a Scottish Team winning the Champions League Trophy last night. 

Or was it Sellik absolutely thrashing a Club from Gibraltar? 

In the Preliminary Round. 

I'll just leave this here although it could be filed under "Terrible governance of a football league thread" also:

Neil Doncaster claimed Celtic and Rangers have brought the "showbusiness" back to Scottish football, and insisted he will make the cash-rich broadcasters pay for it. The SPFL chief executive hinted that talks with TV giants Sky and BT Sport have already taken place behind the scenes even though both companies are locked into cut-price deals until 2020. (Daily Record)

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You wonder if Doncaster actually said that, or if the Daily Record think that.  I think we know the answer.

In fairness to Dongcaster, he does give the Daily Record a run for their money when it comes to OF cheer leading!

On 20/07/2016 at 10:17, Patrick Bateman said:

A quick line to say he's signed for us, followed by multiple paragraphs about Ra Selick.

Got to love sports journalism in this country.

Is this the article?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/14933/10506142/celtic-fan-massimo-donati-delighted-to-join-hamilton-accies

I'd love to hear Donati say "gaffer". I bet he uses it all the time.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 23:05, shull said:

St Mirren V Ayr United BBC Online Report

By Chick Young

At Paisley 2020 Stadium

FFS

Might have to let him off if he was on the Mad Dog

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's disgraceful, but I'm in no way surprised.

Also majorly disrespectful, but I'm used to that.

We all are unfortunately. Rubbing salt into the wound though is that the filming and interviews were all done at your ground. They really just don't give a toss.

10 hours ago, 7-2 said:

The whole piece was as nauseating as it sounds and was a microcosm of everything that's wrong with the Scottish football media. What goes on is far more than just playing to the biggest audience. It's a genuine, deep rooted belief that it's only the bigot brothers that matter. It really is soul destroying stuff.

This is it in a nutshell. These kind of articles, then the pish from Doncaster..... its like some kind of disease. An endemic, parasitical disease that is slowly but surely sucking the life out of us all and destroying the very game that it lives off. Crazy.

Sky pander to the lowest common denominator to be honest. They don't do journalism.

This. Sky are all about mass market and unfortunately turning an accies story into an OF related story is part of that.

Totally insulting and totally disrespectful but don't expect sky to be apologising any time soon.