The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Here is some analysis on a different the rangers midfielder:

Niko Kranjcar: Disappointing league bow for high-profile star

_90708220_cutthom.jpg

By Steven Thompson

Former Scotland striker

Niko Kranjcar is one of the main reasons I don't have an FA Cup winners medal.

In 2008 he played a starring role for Portsmouth in a famous win against Cardiff City. Curiously, he was partnered in centre midfield beside former Ibrox idol Pedro Mendes who was brilliant.

I came on as a substitute, replacing the now QPR manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink for the last 20 minutes.

Kranjcar's contribution at Wembley that day was simply breathtaking.

Attacking midfielders are often the chief composers for team's attacking threat. Awareness, creativity, precision are words that spring to mind when describing the craft.

They seek out and explore space between opposition, midfield and defence probing for the incisive pass, always scanning for the next opportunity.

In addition, they have to be able to turn with the ball under pressure, dribble past defenders and score goals. It becomes clear why the attacking midfielder is such a valuable role.

Kranjcar is the depiction of such a player. However, having watched him struggle against an industrious Hamilton on Saturday at a packed Ibrox, I couldn't help think he was a shadow of the opponent I faced in that FA Cup final.

The Croatian looked laboured, was caught in possession often and had no impact on the match whatsoever.

There is no question that he isn't up to speed in terms of his match sharpness but Hamilton deserve massive credit as their midfield five didn't give Rangers any time to imprint their usual fluid passing game.

In Ali Crawford the visitors have a very talented attacking midfielder who showed his high-profile adversary how it's done with an exquisite turn and finish for the opening goal.

The question is do Rangers persist with Kranjcar until he finds his sharpness or do they give one of the many other players in the same position an opportunity?

Harry Forrester changed the game when he came on for Rangers with his outstanding assist and positive runs. He looked much more of a threat than Kranjcar.

I hope Kranjcar rediscovers his undoubted ability soon as Scottish football is a better place with a player of his profile and experience and, at 31, he still has a good few years of entertaining supporters before he brings down the curtain on a distinguished career.

For all the hype about people looking to Scottish football now we have the Old Firm 'back' did they not only pull in something like 800,000 viewers for the Scottish Cup game last season? I'm sure I recall it being discussed on here and of course the viewing figures for that game were dwarfed by those of the English game that was on that day (something like West Ham v Leicester) which attracted figures approximately 4 - 5 times greater.

For all the hype about people looking to Scottish football now we have the Old Firm 'back' did they not only pull in something like 800,000 viewers for the Scottish Cup game last season? I'm sure I recall it being discussed on here and of course the viewing figures for that game were dwarfed by those of the English game that was on that day (something like West Ham v Leicester) which attracted figures approximately 4 - 5 times greater.

That can't be true,the bigot derby had a bigger audience than the Superbowl.*

*According to some bigots anyway

8 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Why would anyone outwith Scotland give a f**k about the old firm Derby? Shite players, moron fans being as offensive as possible and usually very little decent football being played.

Careful! I'm sure Neil Dongcaster's copywritten that......

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Chris Jack. Look at the state of the greasy c**t.

unnamed.jpg

The Oxford Dictionary, fucking epitome of a Rangers fan. Are there any Rangers fans who aren't overweight?  I genuinely don't think I know any.

16 minutes ago, afca32 said:

I had a look at Chris Jack's Twitter earlier. Incredibly embarrassing and hard to believe he's not a parody.

As have I.  Can I assume the ET assign a reporter to each club? His feed is all Rangers.

1 hour ago, StandFree03 said:

Why would anyone outwith Scotland give a f**k about the old firm Derby? Shite players, moron fans being as offensive as possible and usually very little decent football being played.

If you are a football fan you might have a passing interest, much the same way as you might want to watch River Plate v Boca Juniors, Partizan v Red Star or Fenerbahce v Galatasaray. If you were flicking through the TV channels and it was on, you would probably watch it in case something mental happens and it kicks off, but you wouldn't go out your way to find it.

Outside of the ex pat communities, that is pretty much how it is from what I can work out.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

As have I.  Can I assume the ET assign a reporter to each club? His feed is all Rangers.

To be fair he has got a couple of articles about Partick Thistle which he probably hated every single second he spent writing them.

Robbie Neilson, on not being able to register Krystian Nowak before the Celtic game:

“We were told the SFA shuts at 5pm on a Friday – obviously, it doesn’t,” said Neilson. “I was surprised a little bit to see Sinclair’s name on the team sheet. What are the rules? Is it as it goes along?

“Apparently, if someone turns up at the SFA on a Saturday they can put it through, but we didn’t know that. We know now, so the next time we get a player we’ll register him on a Saturday morning.”

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/defender-krystian-nowak-to-sign-one-year-deal-with-hearts-1-4196753

How the Daily Record reported it:

Robbie Neilson says he was bemused to see Celtic register Sinclair but admits Hearts didn't understand rules.

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-seal-one-year-deal-8586092#YcSCbrLRHJVKzqxt.99

:lol:

Edited by DC92

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

He clearly didn't understand the rules.

There isn't a "rule". It seems Sinclair was registered in time because people at the SFA happened to be doing overtime, whereas Hearts were told the SFA wouldn't be able to able to process their signing after 5pm on Friday.