The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

McDonald is a decent pro who gives his all for the team that pays his wages, if he wants to talk aboot sellick then that's up to him.

If Motherwell fans are ok with it then fine.

But he is paid to represent them and Motherwell as a club. I don't always think players respect that.

On 19/08/2016 at 23:14, 7-2 said:

Had to subject myself to a bit of the bigotry apologist Alan Brazil yesterday morning as Tommy Wright was coming on due to Saints playing Celtic tomorrow. It was even more horrific than expected and I was disappointed in Tommy allowing himself to basically be used to promote the bigot brothers.

<snip for brevity>

I can't get too annoyed by TalkSport, as it's literally another country's radio station; the only reason they mention us at all is in the hope of snaring a percentage of Glasgow listeners by sooking their arses. Brazil keeps his job by being a comfortable stereotype of the addled Glaswegian.

BBC Sport have no such excuse for their lack of interest.

I can't get too annoyed by TalkSport, as it's literally another country's radio station; the only reason they mention us at all is in the hope of snaring a percentage of Glasgow listeners by sooking their arses. Brazil keeps his job by being a comfortable stereotype of the addled Glaswegian.

BBC Sport have no such excuse for their lack of interest.

Agreed, it is a radio station that thrives on winding people up. It is literally their raison d'etre.

Can't let yourself get angry at it.

On 20 August 2016 at 10:39, craigkillie said:

He's also one of many online journalists who don't know how to use Twitter properly.  If you start a tweet with an @ name, then only people who follow that account can read it.

Was that not changed in Twitter's latest update in June?

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If Motherwell fans are ok with it then fine.

But he is paid to represent them and Motherwell as a club. I don't always think players respect that.

As long as he gives his all on the pitch is whatt should matter to the fans.

Celtic are currently better than us, seems fair enough to me.

4 hours ago, Dunty said:

Was that not changed in Twitter's latest update in June?

It doesn't seem like it to me - those sort of tweets are certainly still missing from my timeline (as they should be).  And if it has changed, then there's no way that Burns knows anything about it - he has been making that mistake for years.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It doesn't seem like it to me - those sort of tweets are certainly still missing from my timeline (as they should be).  And if it has changed, then there's no way that Burns knows anything about it - he has been making that mistake for years.

They definitely said that was happening in an update recently, but it clearly hasn't.

Not really the journalist at fault here admittedly, but I've just finished reading an aninterview in today's Sun with the loathsome little odd-ball Fergus McCann. 

He rips into the rest of Scottish football for hating the Old Firm - the hand that feeds us all apparently. He uses Kilmarnock as an example. "What do they bring to the game?" "The only time in my time in Scotland when Kilmarnock filled it's park was one game against Celtic". So in Fergus' world, Kilmarnock should shut up and show a bit more gratitude for Celtic (and Rangers) hoovering up the vast majority of their local support and for all the trouble they bring to Rugby Park.

He then goes on to say ..."as for expelling Rangers from the league, how smart was that?". - where to even start with such a blatant inaccuracy:lol:

As much as such articles have me seething, I take great delight in showing them to Old Firm fans who dismiss the "two cheeks, same arse theory". Celtic and Rangers are basically the same club.

2 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Not really the journalist at fault here admittedly, but I've just finished reading an aninterview in today's Sun with the loathsome little odd-ball Fergus McCann. 

He rips into the rest of Scottish football for hating the Old Firm - the hand that feeds us all apparently. He uses Kilmarnock as an example. "What do they bring to the game?" "The only time in my time in Scotland when Kilmarnock filled it's park was one game against Celtic". So in Fergus' world, Kilmarnock should shut up and show a bit more gratitude for Celtic (and Rangers) hoovering up the vast majority of their local support and for all the trouble they bring to Rugby Park.

He then goes on to say ..."as for expelling Rangers from the league, how smart was that?". - where to even start with such a blatant inaccuracy:lol:

As much as such articles have me seething, I take great delight in showing them to Old Firm fans who dismiss the "two cheeks, same arse theory". Celtic and Rangers are basically the same club.

That "interview" with The Sun is lifted from yesterday's Sportsound. The quotes are exactly what appeared in the 50 minute podcast, which was I believe the full interview that was done for Scotland's Game last week.

More and more papers seem to be lifting stuff from Sportsound and the like and passing it off on their own - although usually it's only a wee story rather than a full page. At least they haven't had the cheek to label it "exclusive".

He's a businessman and as such has tunnel vision to that effect.

If you see football as nothing more than a commercial pursuit then what he says is probably factually true.

Of course we know football is and should be far more than that, his lack of understanding for the football fan is ultimately summed up by his quote that 'why did we expel rangers? To follow some sort of football rules?'

Says it all.

"The modest level of spending in Scotland is in stark contrast to the £1bn plus that has been coughed up in England as Premier League clubs splash the cash from their new broadcast deals. Unless there is a drastic change the Scottish leagues will always be the poor relations."

Just now, The Saintee said:

"The modest level of spending in Scotland is in stark contrast to the £1bn plus that has been coughed up in England as Premier League clubs splash the cash from their new broadcast deals. Unless there is a drastic change the Scottish leagues will always be the poor relations."

Fucking hell, what raging loser wrote that?