The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I think he is a total clown and often wondered how on earth he is qualified to be such an active voice on Scottish Football?

Speaking of Irony is it not the ultimate Irony that we have an Irishman called English commenting on Scottish Football? Maybe just me ha!!

33 minutes ago, troopio said:

I think he is a total clown and often wondered how on earth he is qualified to be such an active voice on Scottish Football?

Speaking of Irony is it not the ultimate Irony that we have an Irishman called English commenting on Scottish Football? Maybe just me ha!!

Yes, just you.

He's usually a pretty reasonable observer.  He's been a tit on this one though.

8 hours ago, yoda said:

English went on to defend his comments by saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "I always take issue with this kind of midweek away game".

So if someone wants to go ahead and find his complaints over Ross County's 'midweek' away games in Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen, that'd be great. Thanks.

And if you have any spare time, go ahead and see what he said when ICT had to go to Perth, Edinburgh, Hamilton, Dundee, Aberdeen, and Motherwell for evening kick-offs.

Next season's fixture list will be interesting given "the fans" don't want midweek trips to the Highlands and journalists have always maintained that no club should be travelling up the treacherous A9 during the winter.

If we want to make comparisons to English football, why not look at some of the midweek journeys that are required there - a lot worse than Glasgow to Dingwall. I've been guilty myself of moaning when we have a midweek game in Inverness or Dingwall but that is more because I can't make it to the game after work. I guess there is still an attitude based on the old situation where Aberdeen was the outer limit for central belt teams and so practically every away game was do-able midweek - we need to accept that the Highland teams are an integral part of the league now and that there are longer trips as a consequence.

The one exception to the rule (IMO) is over the festive period, where an effort should be made to avoid the longest trips and to try to keep games as local as possible, which is perfectly achievable.

On the fawning over the money spent in England - I watched a bit of the deadline day programme on SSN the other night and the wee counter showing the transfer window total of over £1bn just looked fucking ridiculous. I can't see how the bubble down there can be sustained - I think there will be a big crash in the next 10 years..

The way some of the morons in Scottish football act you'd think that Inverness is 500 miles away.  Compared to journeys in a lot of European countries, including England, driving up to the Highlands isn't that long a trip.

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The way some of the morons in Scottish football act you'd think that Inverness is 500 miles away.  Compared to journeys in a lot of European countries, including England, driving up to the Highlands isn't that long a trip.

This. Glasgow to Inverness is 170 miles. Every single EPL club has a longer away day than that, with Sunderland having a 354 mile trip to play Bournemouth, yet they still take far larger away crowds than Rangers and Celtic take to Inverness. Its just a shitebag excuse.

In terms of "average" miles to away games you have 6 EPL clubs who sit at over 170 miles. 

7 hours ago, Swello said:

The one exception to the rule (IMO) is over the festive period, where an effort should be made to avoid the longest trips and to try to keep games as local as possible, which is perfectly achievable.

Each club has 3 fixtures over the festive season, so it's difficult to keep all of them local.  You can only have one Highland derby, which means Ross County and Inverness both probably playing St Johnstone and Aberdeen.  If you make St Johnstone's other fixture against Dundee, which is their "derby" fixture, then that means Aberdeen end up playing Hearts or Hibs at some point.  That's not really keeping it local for those teams.

It's fine for us in the west of Scotland, and it's not an issue for the Highland teams since they'll have to travel whoever they play, but it seems a bit unfair on Hearts/Hibs/Dundee/Aberdeen fans to have one or two big trips every year.

Back when I used twitter Brian McLauchlin always struck me as an old man who was in his job owing to a series of bizarre and increasingly absurd events he had no control over, with a result he had no desire of fulfilling. I'm not surprised at all he's lamenting the comparative lack of money in Scottish football compared to English as if it matters at all.

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Indeed. Surely it's not much more than a couple of hours to fire up to Inverness/Dingwall from the Central Belt? Obviously longer for those south, but again and for the most part, it's hardly huge travelling distances and times (a couple of exceptions obviously like having to fire up from Stranraer, but most countries will have similar logistical challenges).

The only thing you can sort of sympathise with, is the fact that the vast majority of the road up is single carriageway.  When that's totally gone within the next 10 years there really will be no excuse for all the bitching about having to travel up here.

7 minutes ago, Killiesquirrel said:

I saw in one of the red tops today, can't mind which one, that Rangers fans were seething because Aberdeen's website said they have never previously played against Rangers. 

Scenes IMO. 

Saw this on Facebook. Some paper was trying to stir up trouble. Made me pretty annoyed actually. Very irresponsible thing to do (the paper trying to stir up trouble I mean) and a pretty horrible practice. They're putting folk at danger just for some more pennies. Awful. Was funny seeing just how wound up some Sevco fans were getting over it though. 

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The only thing you can sort of sympathise with, is the fact that the vast majority of the road up is single carriageway.  When that's totally gone within the next 10 years there really will be no excuse for all the bitching about having to travel up here.

They never seem to take in to account that Inverness and County have to use the road and have to travel to games every second week. They only think of it from one side, which is no real surprise to anyone, but still really poor.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They never seem to take in to account that Inverness and County have to use the road and have to travel to games every second week. They only think of it from one side, which is no real surprise to anyone, but still really poor.

Indeed.  Woe the Central Belt supporters having to make the journey 6-8 times a season.  If even that sometimes.

Distance doesn't really come into it, all major towns in England are linked by Dual-carrigeways or Motorways. Between our two largest cities there isn't even a Motorway, the whole way. The A9 has a bad reputation for being an accident magnet.

I think when the A9 is dueled (some time by 2025),away days to Inverness and Dingwall will be a lot more popular with those in the central belt. Who knows? Inverness - St Johnstone may even be a derby!

As well as the A9, Scotrail are a fucking joke, for most midweek matches it's impossible to get a Train back south with out leaving at Half Time.

17 hours ago, mjw said:

Has someone asked a naughty question at the rangers press conference?
Shelagh McLaren is getting Pelter's and the poor woman is away on holidayemoji15.png

Saw this on Twitter yesterday. Some really scary bizarre pack hunting going on from Rangers fans hounding McLaren on Twitter. When rumours started swirling about Meekings moving to Ibrox the other day he started getting a load of them tweeting him saying "Announce yourself!" en masse. They are an odd bunch.

I saw in one of the red tops today, can't mind which one, that Rangers fans were seething because Aberdeen's website said they have never previously played against Rangers. 

Scenes IMO. 

It's on the BBC Friday gossip column too.... Aberdeen have posted the truth thou.... [emoji6]