The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Dished out 4 greenies in a page here, heady days.

It's not at the same level of those cited already, but the idea that some pundits and observers will trot-out at Scottish Cup time or when something nostalgic arises on Sportsound that Clyde are some kind of "sleeping giant" strikes me as similar. Yes, we all remember them almost getting into the SPL in the early 2000s; but since then they got double relegated and finished bottom of SFL3 - and have been in the bottom tier for something like 7yrs? Their crowds have been steadily around the 500-600 mark. I think I'm right in saying they've never played in the Premier Division? If they weren't from Glasgow - once - and good in the 1950s it wouldn't be talked about. No-one seems to hark for Airdrie, East Fife or Clydebank to return to tier 2, or Ayr or Dumbarton to grace the top division once more. Maybe St Mirren will go the same way.

That would be a genuine tragedy for the game and I sincerely hope it doesn't come to pass.

no laughing laugh christian bale american psycho

4 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

It really shows the need for an outsider to come in and contribute. 

The problem then shifts to the treatment of outsiders as shown by the Cathro appointment. 

Not to go off on a further tangent but it was interesting to read that the SFA have apparently drafted in an outside (foreign) agency with the Project Brave stuff. 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-draft-top-euro-performance-9582531

The cynic in me thinks that it's more about covering their arse as far as claims of accountability and vested interests go however I'm genuinely curious how it'll play out if Double Pass's appraisal of their plan is at odds with the agenda they want to push. Essentially they seem to be independent auditors. 

http://www.doublepass.com/assessment/

For what it's worth their credentials are more than solid. 

http://www.doublepass.com/our-clients/

Some good posts on this today.

The idea that there is something intrinsically wrong with having smaller clubs doing better than bigger ones is deep seated in our game among those in charge of it and most of those paid to write about, or comment on it.

I remember Keith Jackson saying on Sportsound last year that what we need is every club punching at its weight.  He stated this as if it was self-evidently true and entirely uncontroversial.  Indeed, there were no dissenters among his colleagues on the programme. 

It's an incredible view to hold, let alone feel free to voice and get away with.  He's basically saying that he wants it all to be fixed, rigid and utterly predictable.  It must make what Leicester pulled off essentially disgraceful.

Throw in Strachan's call for 'engineering' of the set up and you could really despair.

Thankfully, this thread is a bit more uplifting.

As a fan of one of the supposed "bigger" clubs I'd personally rather see us back in the top flight on merit rather than because we have more fans than a lot of the clubs. We are only where we are because we were beyond useless last season and will only return once we are good enough.

I can only assume that Gordon Strachan is deliberately sabotaging our qualifying campaigns so that we don't qualify ahead of bigger, wealthier nations.

14 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

As a fan of one of the supposed "bigger" clubs I'd personally rather see us back in the top flight on merit rather than because we have more fans than a lot of the clubs. We are only where we are because we were beyond useless last season and will only return once we are good enough.

I can only assume that Gordon Strachan is deliberately sabotaging our qualifying campaigns so that we don't qualify ahead of bigger, wealthier nations.

He'd welcome some of that engineering though to elevate us above Iceland, Albania and Northern Ireland.

Some good posts in here.

Scottish football media are scared. 

They don't want to upset the bigots. They don't want to  partake in quality in depth journalism about issues that a large percentage of their listeners and readers would not want to hear about. Head in the sand denial, from fans and press. They know if they upset one half of the OF they will receive threats/abuse/intimidation.

It's a sad state of affairs, the power they have in this country. 

Edited by shootingboots

It's also very convenient to blame two Glasgow clubs for the fact that we have very few talented journalists in this country.

I agree with previous posts that suggest we rarely champion our game and celebrate our achievements, we'd rather lament about how things could, or should be.

It's an attitude that annoys me, and some say media/press tends reflects the feelings of their audience, but I'm pleased to read others on here share a different view of our game.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Walter Smith urging Rangers to go into debt today.

Spending money is all he knows.

I'm sure the fearless Scottish media will take him to task on his suggestion.

Dished out 4 greenies in a page here, heady days.

It's not at the same level of those cited already, but the idea that some pundits and observers will trot-out at Scottish Cup time or when something nostalgic arises on Sportsound that Clyde are some kind of "sleeping giant" strikes me as similar. Yes, we all remember them almost getting into the SPL in the early 2000s; but since then they got double relegated and finished bottom of SFL3 - and have been in the bottom tier for something like 7yrs? Their crowds have been steadily around the 500-600 mark. I think I'm right in saying they've never played in the Premier Division? If they weren't from Glasgow - once - and good in the 1950s it wouldn't be talked about. No-one seems to hark for Airdrie, East Fife or Clydebank to return to tier 2, or Ayr or Dumbarton to grace the top division once more. Maybe St Mirren will go the same way.

Ayr HAHA as usual the only way there headed is back down, they'll yoyo between the first and second for forever more

18 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The only time I feel like there's been a club in a wrong league, as an example is when we finished 2nd in league one, and 1st, 3rd and 4th went up to the championship after Rangers died because 3rd and 4th reached the play off final. Understand it but it was a total piss take we were clear in second over the course of the season.

Worth clarifying this paragraph - only the 4th placed side went up as a result of Rangers' capitulation. But I can understand why you might feel aggrieved.

7 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I disagree that there are few talented journos in the country. The problem is the top positions are filled by shitebags who won't let them off the leash.
And the genuine concern for the safety due to threats. It's like fucking Egypt or Turkey.

Christmas must be a laugh at your house.

10 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I disagree that there are few talented journos in the country. The problem is the top positions are filled by shitebags who won't let them off the leash.
And the genuine concern for the safety due to threats. It's like fucking Egypt or Turkey.

Dozens of journalists in Egypt and Turkey have been murdered and imprisoned because of their work.

I don't think that's a valid comparison to Scottish football journalism, to be absolutely honest.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Walter Smith urging Rangers to go into debt today.

It's a quite incredible mindset.

If I was a Rangers fan (gads min) I'd be insulted by the utter dog shite printed by the likes of the Record never mind one of their club 'legends'.  

"Just spend money, that's what Celtic are doing and we're Glasgow Rangers, we must spend" merely 5 years on from driving themselves into the ground for this very reason.