The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

18 minutes ago, Darren said:

The young team were at it with some song about Don Cowie hating the IRA at Fir Park in the Scottish Cup quarter-final against Motherwell. A sizeable minority of Hearts fans are complete cretins.

Hibs do have some bams, but chanting "up the RA"? Canny recall it.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Sectarianism is certainly predominantly an Old Firm issue, but it would be nonsense to suggest that there are not fans of the Edinburgh clubs (particularly Hearts) who indulge in similar behaviour.

Spot on.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Sure the embra clubs are not as bad, but it's whataboutery to suggest there is no issue there, although Stokes leaving helped.

The two bits in bold mark you out as fuckin clueless about Edinburgh fitba.

By "Not as bad" you mean not in the same universe, surely?

And as for the stokes reference, that doesn't even make sense.

That tweet is a Dons supporter's wet dream - a bona fide reason to mention 1983 without bringing it up themselves [emoji4]

Correct.

Don’t pretend you’d be any different if Motherwell were the last side to win a European trophy against Real Madrid.

5 hours ago, Swello said:

That tweet is a Dons supporter's wet dream - a bona fide reason to mention 1983 without bringing it up themselves :)

The Evening Express are preparing a 16 page pullout  as we speak.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Galatasaray beat Real Madrid in the 2000 Super Cup final. 

"aye, but the Super Cup disny actually coun..."

**checks stars on AFC shirt**

"...shit!"

19 hours ago, Green Day said:

The two bits in bold mark you out as fuckin clueless about Edinburgh fitba.

By "Not as bad" you mean not in the same universe, surely?

And as for the stokes reference, that doesn't even make sense.

This post marks you out as clueless about the English language. 

I meant that sectarianism is a problem whether it involves tens of twats or tens of thousands. To say it is ok because the OF are worse is a shite argument. Even if they are much, much worse.

The Stokes bit was a joke. It may have been a shit joke and unfair on stokes but it makes perfect sense. It works like this . He is someone with a reputation for being massively sectarian. He was at Hibs. Now he is not at hibs. Therefore the levels of sectarianism at hibs have decreased.

Let me know if you need this again, with shorter words.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I meant that sectarianism is a problem whether it involves tens of twats or tens of thousands. To say it is ok because the OF are worse is a shite argument. Even if they are much, much worse.

The Stokes bit was a joke. It may have been a shit joke and unfair on stokes but it makes perfect sense. It works like this . He is someone with a reputation for being massively sectarian. He was at Hibs. Now he is not at hibs. Therefore the levels of sectarianism at hibs have decreased.

Let me know if you need this again, with shorter words.

I'd prefer it with less shite logic tbh

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I meant that sectarianism is a problem whether it involves tens of twats or tens of thousands. 

It's still a nonsense. Hibs' irish roots wind up ****, and that's all it does.

11 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

I'd posit the notion that this a fairly recent phenomenon.  When I went to watch football most (late 60s to early 80s) no one would regard Hibs as a Kafflicky team whatever their roots. Equally, the notion of Dundee United as 'one of them' (Dundee Harp) was inimical.  Something rotten has happened over the past decade or so and I hope it goes away.  I'm not optimistic that it will.

29 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

I can agree that i’ve not witnessed it from your lot. That doesn’t mean that there’s nothing there.

I have witnessed plenty from the other end of town.

I should add that most clubs, including the  famous, have probably had their moments. Usually just trying to offend.