The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Just now, GNU_Linux said:

STV news at 6 sports consisted of an interview with Leigh Griffiths and an interview with Gary McAllister concerning Flanagan and the Europa draw. No mention of Aberdeen or Hibs draws at all.

Shocker

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

STV news at 6 sports consisted of an interview with Leigh Griffiths and an interview with Gary McAllister concerning Flanagan and the Europa draw. No mention of Aberdeen or Hibs draws at all.

That'll be because you're getting the Glasgow programme? Still should get a mention, though.

That'll be because you're getting the Glasgow programme? Still should get a mention, though.
Stuff outside of the west generally gets mentioned. Even been coverage of east clubs outside top flight such as Dunfermline during this off season. My only guess to the exclusion is short program due to world cup atm.

On 20/06/2018 at 20:59, GNU_Linux said:

Surely they could have shoehorned in a “Club of former Rangers* midfield dynamo Joey Barton drawn against SPFL nearly rans  Aberdeen”

Surely they could have shoehorned in a “Club of former Rangers* midfield dynamo Joey Barton drawn against SPFL nearly rans  Aberdeen”
missed oppertunity for ex-Burnley and current sevconian Scott Arfield to give his input on the plucky upstarts from up north drawing a team from the 'best league in the world'[emoji769].

If the BBC were a proper news organisation, they would preface every Scottish football news story with "Rangers are dead", just to try and get the point across.

5 hours ago, Raidernation said:

On the BBC gossip page today the first 5or6 stories were about The rangers and I think 3 of them were basically the same

They've cut back a bit today then.

So, out of interest, does anyone still buy a paper? And if so what one?

I'd imagine most of us have moved over to reading their respective websites, which is better as it means far less money for the complete lies and conjecture that get spread.

The Metro I'm guessing is probably the most read purely for it's price and distribution, however you should be careful about the Metro. It's a trojan horse in that it's just the Daily Mail in a different guise, and we know how loathsome, petty and downright hateful the Daily Mail is.

Edited by Buddist Monk

3 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

So, out of interest, does anyone still buy a paper? And if so what one?

I'd imagine most of us have moved over to reading their respective websites, which is better as it means far less money for the complete lies and conjecture that get spread.

The Metro I'm guessing is probably the most read purely for it's price and distribution, however you should be careful about the Metro. It's a trojan horse in that it's just the Daily Mail in a different guise, and we know how loathsome, petty and downright hateful the Daily Mail is.

My late dad was a local paper editor all his days so I have and will always read and buy a paper. I can sit and read pretty much any paper apart from The Star(It's a comic really). Not too fond of The Sun either.

I still like to buy a physical paper when I get the chance as they are (in general) less of a depressing experience to read than the World of Clickbait approach that newspaper websites have become. Even with all the adblockers and anti-tracking stuff on the browser, Scottish 'Paper websites are, to put it mildly - a fucking  bin-fire of zList celebrity shite, adverts/press releases masquerading as articles and SEO drivel where the decent articles should be (and that obviously spills into the print editions too). 

Internet should allow content to be more interesting - as well funded newspapers have proven in many cases - but the bargain-basement approach that our papers have adopted is at the other end of the scale and in making their writers churn out high quantity/low quality stuff ("5 things We've LEARNED about Celtic and Rangers WAGS!"), they're strangling themselves to death.

In an industry that has always been about the Front (and back) Page, just *look* at the front page of the Scotsman (as a random example that I just clicked on):

Scotsman.thumb.PNG.b74e72fe65f5161e68d3c6bf6429af98.PNG

Who'd honestly want to engage with that sad mess? There are of course good writers and interesting stuff out there - but the shite you need to wade through to get there is bordering on the surreal.

In terms of physical papers, I would usually get the Herald as there are a few writers there that I like but it's pretty anemic these days in terms of original content. Other alternatives are English papers with 2 Scottish Stories to enable them to put the "Scottish" epithet on their masthead, which I'm not a fan of. My rule is that if I see a cricket story before I see a Scottish Football one, I won't touch it :) I actually quite enjoy reading the Record and Sun if they are left lying around somewhere as they are still capable of doing some good tabloid stuff on occassion. I'd rather give a sook job to Jim Traynor whilst he's composing a Statement than read the Daily Mail.

Edited by Swello

21 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

So, out of interest, does anyone still buy a paper?

No. I do read them (out of habit more than anything else) in the ante room in the Mess whilst I'm in having a coffee. Content is taken with a pinch of salt though. No point in getting all wound up by it all. 

21 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'd imagine most of us have moved over to reading their respective websites,

No, not really. 

Just now, Trackdaybob said:

No. I do read them (out of habit more than anything else) in the ante room in the Mess whilst I'm in having a coffee. Content is taken with a pinch of salt though. No point in getting all wound up by it all. 

No, not really. 

Do you pay for them?

As for the website, you'll be in a minority. The usage of media websites in comparison with sales shows people are leaving the physical print medium behind.