The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 27/07/2018 at 13:30, CambieBud said:

Ramon on STV is getting on my Eartha Kitts. Every night he opens with Celtic and follows it with, meanwhile at Ibrox. No mention of any other West of Scotland team.

Rahman isquite funnytowatch in his daily....STV.... OldFirmnewsflash slot, as he seemsincapable of know... ing when his autocue is telling himtoleavespacesbetweenwords ... and... when... toleavepauses.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Turns out the 'cannabis product company' have been based at the ground for a while and opened up a shop there a few months ago. The BBC on the ball as ever.

It's the sniggering, finger-pointy subtext from the report that irks me. (Professional old git.) Accies 'defended' the deal but there seems to be no evidence of people criticising it. If it's health fears they mean then say so, but recall our leagues have been sponsored by companies behind such delicious tooth-rotting diabetes Type II to the max products as Irn Bru and alcoholic shit like Tenements and Carling.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

What's the title of this thread, again?

The title of threads is irrelevant to the point but if you need help with this one, it's at the top of the page, just like the others.

1 hour ago, Dr Koop said:

It's the sniggering, finger-pointy subtext from the report that irks me. (Professional old git.) Accies 'defended' the deal but there seems to be no evidence of people criticising it. If it's health fears they mean then say so, but recall our leagues have been sponsored by companies behind such delicious tooth-rotting diabetes Type II to the max products as Irn Bru and alcoholic shit like Tenements and Carling.

Spot on. All that's basically happened is a business that already gives money to the club is now giving more. It's a total non-story and sums up the tabloidesque dumbing down of the BBC.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

BBC trailer that was just on in the last few minutes "the Scottish football season starts next Saturday"

Yes, spotted that.

The remark wasn't qualified at all with reference to the League season or anything.  Makes you wonder what we've all been watching for the last couple of weeks.

The Daily Mail (I know) had one of their reporters doing a bit on the perception of Scottish football in England after the Aberdeen/Burnley match. He started the article by saying that when Aberdeen were 1.0 up the Burnley fans started singing “1.0 to the Sunday League”!

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

The Daily Mail (I know) had one of their reporters doing a bit on the perception of Scottish football in England after the Aberdeen/Burnley match. He started the article by saying that when Aberdeen were 1.0 up the Burnley fans started singing “1.0 to the Sunday League”!

Regardless of the ultimate result,  a 1-1 draw with a team with their resources is a bit embarrassing for the EPL club. No different to Aberdeen drawing with a Highland or Lowland league club, perhaps?

We know - for example - that Stuart Armstrong is a pretty decent player, but him being paid £40k a week at Southampton doesnt make him a better player than at Celtc, simply a richer one (and who could argue with his right to set himself up for life on one contract down south?).

While more TV money would be useful to Scottish Football (especially in the trickle down to the lower leagues) I would argue that the English game has been ruined by TV cash - all these nothing clubs I couldnt even find on a map (feckin Burnley, FFS  !!) thinking they are something due to a huge wadge of cash which then goes straight to the players, most of whom dont give a shite about the club.

f**k them all

6 minutes ago, Green Day said:

While more TV money would be useful to Scottish Football (especially in the trickle down to the lower leagues) I would argue that the English game has been ruined by TV cash - all these nothing clubs I couldnt even find on a map (feckin Burnley, FFS  !!) thinking they are something due to a huge wadge of cash which then goes straight to the players, most of whom dont give a shite about the club

What on earth makes you think that more TV cash in Scotland would see lower league clubs as major beneficiaries?

PS. Burnley actually has a decent footballing history.

24 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Regardless of the ultimate result,  a 1-1 draw with a team with their resources is a bit embarrassing for the EPL club. No different to Aberdeen drawing with a Highland or Lowland league club, perhaps?

We know - for example - that Stuart Armstrong is a pretty decent player, but him being paid £40k a week at Southampton doesnt make him a better player than at Celtc, simply a richer one (and who could argue with his right to set himself up for life on one contract down south?).

While more TV money would be useful to Scottish Football (especially in the trickle down to the lower leagues) I would argue that the English game has been ruined by TV cash - all these nothing clubs I couldnt even find on a map (feckin Burnley, FFS  !!) thinking they are something due to a huge wadge of cash which then goes straight to the players, most of whom dont give a shite about the club.

f**k them all

Sorry, I didn’t make it at all clear. The “terrible journalism” bit comes in because it was the Aberdeen support that was singing “1.0 to the Sunday League”. 

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What on earth makes you think that more TV cash in Scotland would see lower league clubs as major beneficiaries?

PS. Burnley actually has a decent footballing history.

Which part of "trickle down to the lower leagues" have you turned into the bit in bold above ? The major beneficiaries would be the top leagie clubs, but in Scotland we tend to bring players from lower leagues - as opposed to EPL clubs which bulk buy the latest winderkids from around the world.

Third Lanark had a decent history too, doesnt make them relevant !

1 minute ago, Green Day said:

Which part of "trickle down to the lower leagues" have you turned into the bit in bold above ? The major beneficiaries would be the top leagie clubs, but in Scotland we tend to bring players from lower leagues - as opposed to EPL clubs which bulk buy the latest winderkids from around the world.

Third Lanark had a decent history too, doesnt make them relevant !

I think that "trickle down", In the context of Scottish football, is largely mythical.

You described Burnley as a "nothing club" you couldn't find on a map.  The first bit isn't true and the second is to do with your own knowledge.