The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, kingjoey said:
The sports  guy on BBC Breakfast this morning talking about the League Of Nations. “This means an end to meaningless friendlies.” Ok pal, so what can Scotland qualify, or not qualify, for by playing Belgium and Portugal?

In general that's true though - Scotland just happened to be drawn in the only group of 3 in our league.

Arent all the groups for the top two seeded leagues groups of 3 as well?  Still means theres a lot of friendlies being played in the end i think.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:
10 hours ago, kingjoey said:
The sports  guy on BBC Breakfast this morning talking about the League Of Nations. “This means an end to meaningless friendlies.” Ok pal, so what can Scotland qualify, or not qualify, for by playing Belgium and Portugal?

In general that's true though - Scotland just happened to be drawn in the only group of 3 in our league.

So not the end then. Just a reduction in the number of meaningless friendlies, so the guy was indeed wrong.

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

If you go into the “Scottish Football Fixtures and Scores” tab on the BBC Scotland website, there’s no mention of Scotland’s match tonight. They do this every time, and the same with Scottish teams in Europe. 

That does my head in. In fairness, the English site gets it right with fixtures so goodness knows why the Scottish one is such a mess. Yet again it's the basics they f**k up with.

23 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

That does my head in. In fairness, the English site gets it right with fixtures so goodness knows why the Scottish one is such a mess. Yet again it's the basics they f**k up with.

There's clearly been a diktat issued that, since Rangers dug themselves out of the lower leagues, Scottish football is to be treated with the same care and attention that the Welsh and Irish leagues receive. They could not give a single f**k.

18 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The Scotland game shouldn't be in the Scottish fixtures IMO.

Why not? It's a Scottish football game and it's being played in Scotland. Can't see why it doesn't qualify as a Scottish fixture especially as the heading doesn't state it only refers to certain league games. The English page quite rightly lists league, cup and international games on the same page when they are played on the same day. In Scotland you have to go through a maze of different tournaments and classifications to find out what's happening, if anything.

1 hour ago, nsr said:

In general the BBC's new(ish) method of displaying results/fixtures is terrible, forcing you to click on each month individually. 

Apart from the actual methodology, that 'improved' sites that make it worse for the user presumably got through numerous tests and trials is unreal. Obviously a football fan had nothing to do with it.

2 hours ago, nsr said:

In general the BBC's new(ish) method of displaying results/fixtures is terrible, forcing you to click on each month individually. 

Typing the name of each league you want to view is dreadful too, especially as they're listed in alphabetical order, and have to type "Scottish/Welsh/Irish" at the start of anything that isn't English.

You used to be able to just click to cycle through the individual leagues. They made a monumental arse of their current layout and probably haven't even noticed as the only league most of their staff will ever click on will be the Premier League.

10 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Do folk still actually use the BBC website to look for fixtures and check results? There’s a million different websites/apps out there ffs.

I've given up on it as a source of fixtures and results since they have changed it, not only do I find it not intuitive to use but it seems as though their site is a lot slower than it used to be.  I usually go to soccerway.com nowadays for fixtures and information, it's a lot easier to use and they have much more in-depth stats and info.

Edited by senorsoupe

19 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Do folk still actually use the BBC website to look for fixtures and check results? There’s a million different websites/apps out there ffs.

I've got crap internet speed where I live, the only good thing about the bbc site is it isn't full of crappy adverts slowing things down. even  p&b was unusable for  me for a while, seems to have got better lately tho