The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Bit of a team effort here from the S*n and BBC.

Maybe I'm just too young, but Rangers is probably 3rd on the list of teams that come to mind when I think about Steven Pressley. Of course they'd never say Hearts star when he's played for those two though.

Screenshot2023-07-07at10-06-37Sonofex-RangersstarwantedbythreeScottishclubsamidtransferscramble.thumb.png.84cacc7c0d2e1d03f9d39111e7f60081.png

Then the BBC refer to Aaron Pressley as a centre-half, when he's a striker.

Screenshot2023-07-07at10-06-27FridaysScottishGossip.thumb.png.65e40e3ec7c22954b4ac9ba57c2678ac.png

50 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Didn't he play about 4 games for Rangers?

Aye that's a weird one. I'd have said Hearts then Scotland then it's between Dundee Utd and Falkirk where I most associate him. Played slightly more games for Rangers than Celtic I think albeit over a longer time period. 

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye that's a weird one. I'd have said Hearts then Scotland then it's between Dundee Utd and Falkirk where I most associate him. Played slightly more games for Rangers than Celtic I think albeit over a longer time period. 

I completely forgot he played for Celtic.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Still our record signing after all these years. The c**t.

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Bit of a team effort here from the S*n and BBC.

Maybe I'm just too young, but Rangers is probably 3rd on the list of teams that come to mind when I think about Steven Pressley. Of course they'd never say Hearts star when he's played for those two though.

Screenshot2023-07-07at10-06-37Sonofex-RangersstarwantedbythreeScottishclubsamidtransferscramble.thumb.png.84cacc7c0d2e1d03f9d39111e7f60081.png

Then the BBC refer to Aaron Pressley as a centre-half, when he's a striker.

Screenshot2023-07-07at10-06-27FridaysScottishGossip.thumb.png.65e40e3ec7c22954b4ac9ba57c2678ac.png

I wondered if he'd been converted to a CB but a mistake is more likely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66143376

The BBC's "what fans think" piece, it has comments from fans about what would constitute success.

10 comments from Rangers fans, but just 1 for Livi, 2 for St Mirren and 3 for clubs like St Johnstone, Killie and Dundee. What's more the BBC felt the need to include a comment attributed to "anonymous" in the Rangers section to bulk it up.

Are you seriously telling me the BBC only got one reply from a Livi fan, or 2 St Mirren fans? Nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

The BBC's "what fans think" piece, it has comments from fans about what would constitute success.

10 comments from Rangers fans, but just 1 for Livi, 2 for St Mirren and 3 for clubs like St Johnstone, Killie and Dundee. What's more the BBC felt the need to include a comment attributed to "anonymous" in the Rangers section to bulk it up.

Are you seriously telling me the BBC only got one reply from a Livi fan, or 2 St Mirren fans? Nonsense.

To be fair, while it's probably likely they have omitted some replies in favour of others, I also wouldn't be surprised if there genuinely was a lack of responses from clubs outwith Rangers and Celtic due to the lack of coverage and exposure they get in comparison.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

To be fair, while it's probably likely they have omitted some replies in favour of others, I also wouldn't be surprised if there genuinely was a lack of responses from clubs outwith Rangers and Celtic due to the lack of coverage and exposure they get in comparison.

I would challenge the notion they didn't get enough replies from other supporters, and what's more even if they did, it is good journalism to show no bias so if they had only one Livi commenter, they should have made an effort to find more or limit every other club to one commenter.

It's just very lazy journalism, and while I am not suggesting this is some pro-Rangers bias, I'm saying it's a very poor piece for what is considered our national broadcaster.

25 minutes ago, Ric said:

I would challenge the notion they didn't get enough replies from other supporters, and what's more even if they did, it is good journalism to show no bias so if they had only one Livi commenter, they should have made an effort to find more or limit every other club to one commenter.

It's just very lazy journalism, and while I am not suggesting this is some pro-Rangers bias, I'm saying it's a very poor piece for what is considered our national broadcaster.

Totally agree. And I didn't take your post to suggest it was a pro-Rangers bias, but they obviously try and cater to who they believe their largest demographic is and in turn, the other clubs get shafted in terms of meaningful content.

On 13/07/2023 at 08:17, Ric said:

What annoyed me more about this article was that it introduces it as fans being asked about what constitutes success, and the first few Aberdeen ones are about where we need signings. 

On 13/07/2023 at 09:14, AJF said:

Totally agree. And I didn't take your post to suggest it was a pro-Rangers bias, but they obviously try and cater to who they believe their largest demographic is and in turn, the other clubs get shafted in terms of meaningful content.

Which is the fans of only 2 teams. The other 40 can go f**k themselves. Unless a reference to the other 2 can be shoehorned into the story. Preferably both of them, for "balance". 

And as for non league sides...