The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

12 hours ago, BTFD said:

This morning there was a BBC article about the women's World Cup with a title along the lines of "suddenly all anyone can talk about is 1966".

For the past 40 years, at least, all anyone in England has been able to talk about is 1966.

Nevermind 40 years, it's close to 60 now. And long may it grow.

On 15/08/2023 at 12:25, CambieBud said:

It seems to have gotten lost in the maelstrom of @Monkey Tennis' Midlothian malaise, but I was appalled at this article. I don't know where to start as it reads like it's been written by a 9 year old. It's a concatenation of stupid ideas and even stupider supposition. Utter, utter shite.

I mind when the Herald used to be a proper paper, with articles written by people whose literacy and knowledge were evidenced through erudition and craft. Hugh McDonald was a huge favourite of mine, but there were many others. Nowadays we get youngsters writing superficial junk with no flair, craft or active consideration for the reader.

The corrections in the article are an act of deckchair rearrangement and nothing more. The correct course of action would have been eliminating any trace that the article ever existed. 

Utter shite.

23 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

What happened in 1966?

The Tay Road Bridge got opened, I find it interesting how England seem to constantly go on about a bridge between Dundee and Fife.

Then again, it does have footballing importance as the original Highland/Lowland League boundary was in the middle of that bridge.

12 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Parhaps the most overrated player of his or any other generation. 

I saw quite a bit of the United side of that era and what he brought to the team was so much more than top level performances.  Don’t take my word for it though, read what Alex Ferguson has to say about the matter.  

I like to think of the introduction of Cantona to Man United in a similar vein as the introduction of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak in 1972.    It would be difficult to overstate the effect that watch had on the luxury watch market.  

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I saw quite a bit of the United side of that era and what he brought to the team was so much more than top level performances.  Don’t take my word for it though, read what Alex Ferguson has to say about the matter.  

I like to think of the introduction of Cantona to Man United in a similar vein as the introduction of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak in 1972.    It would be difficult to overstate the effect that watch had on the luxury watch market.  

TBF while its true that Cantona had a huge part to play in Man U, and Fergusons, subsequent successes, its also correct to say hes over-rated IMO.

Even at his peak was he ever close to being considered a top attacking player?

Hes a EPL legend but hes nowhere near a legend of the game, which is how some people describe him.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF while its true that Cantona had a huge part to play in Man U, and Fergusons, subsequent successes, its also correct to say hes over-rated IMO.

Hes a EPL legend but hes nowhere near a legend of the game, which is how some people describe him.

Treason!*

*I do know what you mean and purely in footballing terms of course I understand.  I do believe though that there are not many players that have contributed more in turning around the fortunes of a club the size of Man United in such a dramatic and noticeable way as Cantona did.  

Many younger football fans will probably struggle to fully understand the huge pressure that was building yearly at Old Trafford to win the title again.  Cantona appeared to embrace that pressure and bring a confidence and swagger to the team that up to that point was sorely missing.

The Premier League and 4-5 teams in the Champions League each season has probably changed that sort of pressure somewhat for most teams.

Anyone who thinks Cantona was over-rated either didn't see him play or is too swayed by things like trophies (even though Cantona had a decent haul, he had no no CL, World Cup etc) and stats when judging players.

Cantona was a magnificent footballer, but, more than that, was something pretty unique in British football at that time. A hugely central figure in what Manchester United went on to become.

The idea he is over-rated is completely laughable.

Edited by VincentGuerin

11 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Anyone who thinks Cantona was over-rated either didn't see him play or is too swayed by things like trophies (even though Cantona had a decent haul, he had no no CL, World Cup etc) and stats when judging players.

Cantona was a magnificent footballer, but, more than that, was something pretty unique in British football at that time. A hugely central figure in what Manchester United went on to become.

The idea he is over-rated is completely laughable.

Correct. Absolutely box office player. A joy to watch and so different from anything else at the time. 

ETA there’s a clip of a goal a fat retired cantona scores in a testimonial/charity match at old Trafford which about sums up how good he was. 

Edited by Dons_1988

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Correct. Absolutely box office player. A joy to watch and so different from anything else at the time. 

Aye, you'd watch to see him play. Just brilliant.

It sells him short, as you can't express in writing how good he was. But as an impact on the team it's worth noting that United were 8th 16 games into the season and 9 points off the top when they signed him and went on to win the league by 10 points and the double the following season. Didn't do it all by himself, but nobody who watched that season wouldn't argue he was pivotal. Then his suspension in 94/95 cost United the league, and he came back and they won the double and the league again the next season.

But everything about him was brilliant. The touch, spacial awareness, the ability to finish different kinds of chances. Especially the wee chips from the edge of the box.

Absolutely off his rocker, but what a fucking player.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What on earth is this?

He was a/the central figure in the teams that won the English league in five seasons out of six, and was the captain of France. The only season his team didn't win the title in that run was the season he missed half of through suspension.

He absolutely was and was considered to be one of the best players in Europe. He was routinely linked with moves abroad (seemingly always to Inter) but was quite happy playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, winning loads of trophies, and making loads of money.

Out of interest, how old are you?

Edited by VincentGuerin

whilst I dont disagree with the general thrust, being "routinely linked" with moves abroad is a bit tenuous of a supporting argument.

Man U were pretty much top dog in Europe as well, other than Bayern and the two Spanish giants, so there were very little step ups available for him.

But critically, those clubs were so well run they wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole due to the risk of his disruptive attitude.

Fergie took a risk and it paid off, probably only he could keep Cantona in some sort of control. Although even he failed really. Know for a fact he was a massively disruptive influence at the club. particularly when he was suspended for so long and when they were winning.