The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

14 hours ago, eez-eh said:

All but the top tier playing in this afternoon’s Scottish Cup ties. The only “coverage” the BBC sees fit to give them is posting the half-time and full-time scores in amongst the Premiership updates. No highlights package from Our National Broadcaster either, as far as I know.

Piss poor compared to how much coverage the early rounds of the FA Cup get.

I love the early rounds of the cup and I was expecting some sort of highlights last night, garbage that there wasn't.  The third round (a) has a lot of decently sized clubs in it and (b) is of interest to the "rest" as it's their next round opponents, so there is justification to do something even on a "viewing figures" basis you'd have thought.

I have been watching/enjoying Championship football on the BBC, so they get pass marks for that but the cup stuff is a mystery.

11 hours ago, Swello said:

I love the early rounds of the cup and I was expecting some sort of highlights last night, garbage that there wasn't.  The third round (a) has a lot of decently sized clubs in it and (b) is of interest to the "rest" as it's their next round opponents, so there is justification to do something even on a "viewing figures" basis you'd have thought.

I have been watching/enjoying Championship football on the BBC, so they get pass marks for that but the cup stuff is a mystery.

They have just shown a short round up 

2 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

In the BBC report on the 4th Round Draw, they have a highlights link at the top....

...highlights of Celtic beating ICT in last year's final, something I have no wish to view again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67539115

I still watch it to laugh at the commentator's reaction at The Caley having the fucking audacity to score against Celtic and make them sweat for a few minutes that their precious 100th treble in 101 years might be in danger.

On 25/11/2023 at 17:54, eez-eh said:

All but the top tier playing in this afternoon’s Scottish Cup ties. The only “coverage” the BBC sees fit to give them is posting the half-time and full-time scores in amongst the Premiership updates.

The absence of cup coverage was disappointing; if it's any consolation the Premiership updates hardly screamed quality:

IMG_2930.png

The Daily Record's team of the week.

I know it's the Record and I really should just accept that it's an absolute shit rag at this point.

But if you are going to pretend to care about the other teams outside of the OF them at least get your photos correct.

Jonah Ayunga deservedly gets his place in the TOTW.....only for them to use a photo of Mika Mandron.

408866800_688290396739125_1740662828383171813_n.jpg

I know a lot of fans are keen to get rid of Naismith, but Barry Robson taking over the Hearts press conference today was still a shock.

• Alex Lowry and Liam Boyce are injured, while Robson revealed that Cammy Devlin will miss the Asian Cup and will be out until after the winter break.

• “Cammy’s done some damage to his ankle,” Robson said. “I don’t even think he’ll be back in training before the break comes, which is when the squads meet up so I can’t imagine him being involved in the Asian Cup.”'

The BBC's description of today's penalty for QP

"Kirk Broadfoot's foul on Tyler French resulted in a penalty in first-half added time but Ruari Paton's spot-kick was saved and the Spiders are two points adrift at the foot of the table"

Broadfoot and French are both Morton players. French was the one booked.

I realise a 1-0 with an 8th minute goal isn't overly entertaining, but I suspect someone fell asleep who shouldn't have.

Aye, I know, who cares what Graeme Souness thinks about anything? But it's just another example of a Daily Record online headline that seems to have been run through an Enigma machine before being printed. Can anyone unpack it?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/graeme-souness-spots-rising-celtic-31698577