The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

59 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Is there any other league in the world where 30% of the clubs start with the letter A ?

A fantastic, yet often downplayed achievement by the Scottish Championship.

58 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

* Apart from Saudi Arabia, obviously.

Armenia...

Austria...

Cyprus (50%)...

Greece...

etc.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Is there any other league in the world where 30% of the clubs start with the letter A ?

Aberdeen to come down and Alloa and Annan to be promoted. Ayr, Arbroath and Airdrie to stay up.

20 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

All just want to be early in the Yellow Pages* imo.

*One for the older P&Bers, there.

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

All just want to be early in the Yellow Pages* imo.

*One for the older P&Bers, there.

We had Ace taxis and AA taxis in Perth and probably a few others for that exact reason.

It’s also why Aberdeen gave themselves that name when they joined the Scottish League set up, simply so they could be top until the first fixtures were played.

22 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67960629

Manchester United programme(s) sold for £7,500.00.

However, reading the text, the match was neither "cancelled" or "abandoned", it was postponed.

Yip, I hate that kind of careless language use.

The words 'cancelled', 'abandoned' and 'postponed' have quite distinct meanings.  In the context of the story, it matters.

To suggest that the match was abandoned is particularly thick.

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yip, I hate that kind of careless language use.

The words 'cancelled', 'abandoned' and 'postponed' have quite distinct meanings.  In the context of the story, it matters.

To suggest that the match was abandoned is particularly thick.

As is, "kept...in his bedside draw."

Just read a bit of a clickbaity article in the Metro about Virgil Van Dijk discussing his toughest ever opponent. 

Its Olivier Giroud btw, but check out this Royal Family level "joke" he bantered Giroud with.....

Van Dijk revealed he even shared a joke with Giroud after the forward got on the scoresheet in Liverpool’s 5-3 victory over Chelsea at Anfield back in July 2020.

He added: ‘I said to him when we won the Premier League, we won 5-3 we were 3-0 up or something and he scored a scrappy goal, I think it was against the crossbar and fell down, scrappy goal, I said to him: “You scored again?!”

Anyone else getting particularly fucking sick of reading about ex-Old Infirmers now playing somewhere else instead of genuine news/gossip about clubs here, in throbbing organs such as EBC Gossip etc? 

If I read another sentence about Ryan Kent/Morelos/Jota again this season I swear I'm gonnae shit where I stand !

I fear things may get messy...

This probably falls under ‘terrible journalism’, so here goes! 😅

As you may have seen on social media, I’ve recently written a book, Well Worth a Mention. It focuses on lesser-known/obscure Motherwell players over the last 30 seasons.

If you're looking for something MFC-related to read through on the cold, dark January nights  this could be perfect for you!

⚽️ More than 100 player profiles
💷 Ebook is £1.99 (January special offer) and 180 page paperback is £9.75
🗣 Exclusive player quotes and facts

BA9817A9-DE3E-4E36-A4EA-5C337C922647.png

22 minutes ago, LewisB said:

This probably falls under ‘terrible journalism’, so here goes! 😅

As you may have seen on social media, I’ve recently written a book, Well Worth a Mention. It focuses on lesser-known/obscure Motherwell players over the last 30 seasons.

If you're looking for something MFC-related to read through on the cold, dark January nights  this could be perfect for you!

⚽️ More than 100 player profiles
💷 Ebook is £1.99 (January special offer) and 180 page paperback is £9.75
🗣 Exclusive player quotes and facts

BA9817A9-DE3E-4E36-A4EA-5C337C922647.png

I’ve splurged the £2, hope it’s good.

On 15/01/2024 at 10:13, Jim Main said:

Anyone else getting particularly fucking sick of reading about ex-Old Infirmers now playing somewhere else instead of genuine news/gossip about clubs here, in throbbing organs such as EBC Gossip etc? 

If I read another sentence about Ryan Kent/Morelos/Jota again this season I swear I'm gonnae shit where I stand !

I fear things may get messy...

I came on the thread to post the exact same thing. Surely even the dweebs with green brigade pyjamas are sick of hearing if Jota's training/ moving/ happy on a daily basis. 

A feature about Buckie Thistle on BBC Breakfast this morning. It’s the usual sort of thing - reporter visits the club, gets a tour, meets the tea lady etc. 

What does he ask?

”Do you think you can get Celtic back here for a replay?”

Then what does one of the presenters say back in the studio?

”Every year, when we come across the likes of Buckie Thistle, the FA Cup always throws up somewhere we haven’t necessarily learned lots about…”. 

They honestly make the people at Pacific Quay look competent.