The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Guest JTS98

My personal pet-hate is the choice of reporting verbs papers and other media outlets, especially but not exclusively in the tabloids, are using for their headlines.

Guff like 'Gerrard insists 'Gers will improve'. Did he really 'insist'? Really? Did someone shout out from the assembled hacks 'Yer arse they will!', prompting Gerrard to slam his fist on the desk and reassert his point? I doubt it. So use 'says' instead.

Also yesterday we had the manager of Rangers' next European opponents 'warning' Rangers. Read the article and he did no such thing. He just pointed out that they'd won a tough game last season in Europe and hoped to do so again. I doubt very much that he spoke in aggressive tones with an extended finger prodding into the air to deliver this 'warning'.

Recently we also had Gerrard 'admitting' that Rangers are not the finished article. Did anyone think they were? Had he started out by claiming that they were only to finally break down in tears under intense questioning by Keith Jackson and finally confess the ugly truth, that after three weeks with his new team he hasn't quite got the side he wants yet...

Bollocks. Bollocks, all of it.

59 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

My personal pet-hate is the choice of reporting verbs papers and other media outlets, especially but not exclusively in the tabloids, are using for their headlines.

Guff like 'Gerrard insists 'Gers will improve'. Did he really 'insist'? Really? Did someone shout out from the assembled hacks 'Yer arse they will!', prompting Gerrard to slam his fist on the desk and reassert his point? I doubt it. So use 'says' instead.

Also yesterday we had the manager of Rangers' next European opponents 'warning' Rangers. Read the article and he did no such thing. He just pointed out that they'd won a tough game last season in Europe and hoped to do so again. I doubt very much that he spoke in aggressive tones with an extended finger prodding into the air to deliver this 'warning'.

Recently we also had Gerrard 'admitting' that Rangers are not the finished article. Did anyone think they were? Had he started out by claiming that they were only to finally break down in tears under intense questioning by Keith Jackson and finally confess the ugly truth, that after three weeks with his new team he hasn't quite got the side he wants yet...

add "slams" and "blasts"

This thread is mostly shite now for that reason - people using it to highlight typos and similar errors which are made in haste (live blogs, Twitter etc) rather than actual bad journalism.

Indeed. Most of this probably deserves to be in the PTTGOYN thread.

I wonder if Chris Mclaughlin ever looks on P&B and notices that he was the inspiration for a 281 page thread (Mobile version) on terrible journalism. 

Harsh. 

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

Brilliant and absolutely spot on.

"Insists" is my favourite.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

And don't forget "star", sometimes can be "former ace", for complete diddies.

ex-Hibs star Ole Gottskalksson was today preparing for a top-of-the-table clash which could see his new club, Brentford, go five points clear at the head of the English Second Division.

Hibs star Michael Nelson was today hoping to have forced his way into boss Terry

after being acquitted of breaking ex-Hibs star Gary Deegan’s jaw.

43 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

And don't forget "star", sometimes can be "former ace", for complete diddies.

It can never be restated enough that, to our national press, anyone who pulled on a Rangers shirt is a "former Rangers star", even if they only made one substitute appearance in a goalless Skol Cup tie on a wet Wednesday in Hamilton. It's entirely irrelevant if they went on to rack up hundreds of appearances for another club, winning trophies with them, and appearing in dozens of articles written by the self-same hacks who seem to enjoy making a game out of the Old Firm being The Only Show In Town.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes could launch a fresh bid for striker Louis Moult, the 26-year-old for whom the Dons had a £500,000 bid rejected by Motherwell in January but who has only scored twice in 11 appearances since his move to Preston North End. (Scottish Sun)

What a construction. Is BBC Scotland's sports gossip column compiled by a six-year old? Food is fresh. Paint is fresh. Bids are not. The Dons didn't 'have' their bid rejected; Motherwell rejected the bid. Fucking hell. National broadcaster. :rolleyes:

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes could launch a fresh bid for striker Louis Moult, the 26-year-old for whom the Dons had a £500,000 bid rejected by Motherwell in January but who has only scored twice in 11 appearances since his move to Preston North End(Scottish Sun)
What a construction. Is BBC Scotland's sports gossip column compiled by a six-year old? Food is fresh. Paint is fresh. Bids are not. The Dons didn't 'have' their bid rejected; Motherwell rejected the bid. Fucking hell. National broadcaster. :rolleyes:

Not sure it’s that bad to be honest

Guest JTS98
12 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

Sentence is fine. Perhaps overly complex and two sentences would have been simpler, but the grammar is fine.

13 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Sentence is fine. Perhaps overly complex and two sentences would have been simpler, but the grammar is fine.

It does use "launch", though. Our shitlist is at five now? Add "launch" to the list.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes could launch a fresh bid

tenor.gif?itemid=9369333

Edited by HaikuHibee

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

It does use "launch", though. Our shitlist is at five now? Add "launch" to the list.

tenor.gif?itemid=9369333

At least he's not 'swooping'.

56 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

The 'have' irks me. It implies Aberdeen has/have some control over a decision made by Motherwell. The best examples are when convicted criminals 'have' their prison sentences extended on an appeal against 'having' their prison sentences extended.

Anyhoo. Rant over. I'm off to find something else to moan about.  ^_^