The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-52149139

JL: Face masks don't work for the general population and only Asian countries have the required cultural norms to wear them anyway: wrong, it took literally days after the SG finally abandoned i's ridiculous position before compliance with face masks was sitting at 90%+.

Pretty much every single major measure that has been adopted by the government during lockdown or remain in place today was in fact originally opposed by a braying public statement by Jason Leitch. All he has contributed is depriving one Lanarkshire village of its idiot and placing them on Off the Ball to talk about shite 1950s music with his fellow Lanarkshire blowhard Cowan.

Edited by vikingTON

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

VT playing the "Monday morning quarterback" card with aplomb there, I see. Mind you, pulling up quotes that are just shy of 6 months old is quite the stretch to base any argument on.

Presumably you object to literally every single history book ever written then, seeing as their entire M.O. involves 'pulling up quotes' made at the time of an event and evaluating whether the person involved was talking a power of shite or not.

Spoiler alert for you:

Spoiler

He was.

Edited by vikingTON

VT is wrong on most things, but he's 100% correct in saying the Old Firm should not have gone ahead.

There is a “they came to win” podcast that explores the Atalanta v Valencia game and how that was possibly what caused such a high surge in cases in bergomi.
Think there was 30,000? in the San Siro for that game, so it is possible that an old firm game, maybe could have had the same effect.

Just now, virginton said:

Presumably you object then to literally every single history book ever written then, seeing as their entire M.O. involves 'pulling up quotes' made at the time of an event and evaluating whether the person involved was talking a power of shite or not.

Oh, now, that's a very poor response, way below what you are capable of and one you know is open to holes.

Not that my fight is with you, you understand, we both know you are at it.

Just now, Ric said:

Oh, now, that's a very poor response, way below what you are capable of and one you know is open to holes.

Not that my fight is with you, you understand, we both know you are at it.

Answer the question please: do you object to historians 'pulling quotes' directly from an event that took place six months, years, decades or centuries ago to evaluate whether a person in a decision-making role was a clown talking utter shite? Or does that protection only apply to your pet boffin because he managed to con you by sounding like a guid fitba man?

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

Answer the question please.

As I said, it's a very poor response because answering it would put me in a position of accepting your initial premise.  Something I'm unwilling to do.

What premise you ask? Well you know that already, you are postulating that knowledge now is entirely based on static information of the past. If that were the case we would, for example, still be operating under the assumption we are in a geocentric universe.

To throw out such a dramatic, "yOu obJeCt To LiTeRaLlY eVeRy SiNgLe HiStOrY bOoK eVeR wRiTtEn", was well below your usual standards. Perhaps you've gotten lazy in your old age.

Edited by Ric

Just now, resk said:

Leitch irritates me a bit with his omnipresence and superiority but he's probably doing a decent enough job tbf. No public official or government is getting Covid right - I'm not sure it is possible to.

I think the thing is that he is manages to get across a message in a manner others struggle with. While I'm happy to have the bit of verbal jousting with my lower league supporting friend there, I certainly don't think he's got everything right, but the message itself has always been delivered well - despite his style clearly annoying some.

There will be a section of society that refuse to believe what Sturgeon or Johnson say purely down to politics. I wouldn't trust Johnson to tell me I was on fire, even if I was patently on fire, so there needs to be some way to avoid the politics and I think he does a fairly decent job of it.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

As I said, it's a very poor response because answering it would put me in a position of accepting your initial premise.  Something I'm unwilling to do.

What premise you ask? Well you know that already, you are postulating that knowledge now is entirely based on static information of the past. If that were the case we would, for example, still be operating under the assumption we are in a geocentric universe.

To throw out such a dramatic, "yOu obJeCt To LiTeRaLlY eVeRy SiNgLe HiStOrY bOoK eVeR wRiTtEn", was well below your usual standards. Perhaps you've gotten lazy in your old age.

As spectacularly bad comebacks and whataboutery go, that's up there.

20 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

You boys should kiss to break the tension. 

VT and I? Nah, there's no simmering tension there.

You just have to remember he's a contrarian who likes to create traps for you to fall into. To "win", you just learn not to play.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, Falkirk09Bairn said:

Yet you ‘play’ anyway. 

I think you'll find I don't. VT was the one who replied to a question I posed to someone else.

Clearly it annoys you enough to go on a petulant red dot spree, though. Which, I suppose, is nice.

Edited by Ric

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Some people can't understand that folk like Leitch have to react and adapt to new data on a new virus, and think that doing so somehow means they don't actually know what they're talking about. They're still learning about it and getting new information on how it works and how it is transmitted. People seem to believe that noting what the data indicates at a certain time must mean that it is definitive, even though caveats are always given, and that the experts going back on what they said means they don't know what they're on about.

A garbage moron view of course.

I am, in fact, well aware of the fact that people have to react and adapt to new information. What these people don't have to do, however, is make bold and confident statements on a regular basis, only to see those come flying back in their face. This is the man who said there was "no chance" of football fans returning to stadiums until at least October.

Not "I think it's highly unlikely at the moment". Not "It doesn't look like that's going to be possible". Instead it was "no chance". Fastforward to the middle of September, and in fact we did have football fans in stadiums this weekend.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not "I think it's highly unlikely at the moment". Not "It doesn't look like that's going to be possible". Instead it was "no chance". Fastforward to the middle of September, and in fact we did have football fans in stadiums this weekend.

At the very start of July, Lietch said:

"I think we’re seeing pretty much no chance of crowds in August. I can’t imagine physically-distanced crowds in August or September. I might be wrong and with a fair wind we might get there. I think we might run some test events during that two-month period."

Edited by Ric