The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Jim Goodwin is reported to be “flabbergasted” in the papers today, that St Mirren were forced to play with their three keepers unavailable, and, of course, the standard “Scottish football will become a laughing stock”. Has it not always been the case that, so long as a team has enough players to play, regardless of which position the unavailable players represent, the game has to be played? Hence Ryan Stevenson playing in goal for Raith Rovers a few years back.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Jim Goodwin is reported to be “flabbergasted” in the papers today, that St Mirren were forced to play with their three keepers unavailable, and, of course, the standard “Scottish football will become a laughing stock”. Has it not always been the case that, so long as a team has enough players to play, regardless of which position the unavailable players represent, the game has to be played? Hence Ryan Stevenson playing in goal for Raith Rovers a few years back.

Outfield players playing in goal is what the fans want to see.

If you told me there was a Norwegian second division game on today with outfield players in goal I would cancel all plans to watch it.

Just now, Falkirk09Bairn said:

No self control. 

Interesting claim, considering you were so annoyed at someone for posting a verifiable quote that you needed to signal your utter disgust in the only manner available to you. I presume you are the relation of another well kent Falkirk supporter on here as that is very much their MO too.

However to address your comment directly I think it's only polite to reply to someone, and there was no "game" being played. Perhaps you are just reading what you want into the situation.

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

That's a little bit disingenuous the way you represent that. Raith were able, should finances decree, to bring in a keeper should they wish. They chose not to, or were unwilling to, the situation here is that Goodwin was hamstrung by virus restrictions and testing so that avenue was not available to us or was at the very least extremely hampered. He has a list of keepers we could have brought in. Virus guidelines also stopped us playing a keeper that had provided a negative test. It's the very specific circumstances of this case that Goodwin is highlighting, not that just "in the round" the rules have been applied.

Also, afiaw, Goodwin never used the term "Scottish football will become a laughing stock". I could be wrong, I've not caught everything he's said to the media. What he did say was that the SPFL would have made a "mockery of the league" should they be forced to play an outfield player in goal. While, while perhaps open to debate, is not quite as hyperbolic as the quote you have proffered.

I would like to say, as a caveat, that from an objective point of view, I sort of chime with @invergowrie arab when they say it's "what the fans want to see". It brings the drama and box office element seeing an outfield player in goals. That is until it's your own team. I'm sure you took no joy watching Robbie Winters ship goals in a cup final.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

Interesting claim, considering you were so annoyed at someone for posting a verifiable quote that you needed to signal your utter disgust in the only manner available to you. I presume you are the relation of another well kent Falkirk supporter on here as that is very much their MO too.

However to address your comment directly I think it's only polite to reply to someone, and there was no "game" being played. Perhaps you are just reading what you want into the situation.

Huge apologies in that case. Honestly didn’t have you down as a gentleman. There aren’t many on this website. 

Just now, Falkirk09Bairn said:

Huge apologies in that case. Honestly didn’t have you down as a gentleman. There aren’t many on this website. 

Well, you know, I think I'll take the compliment even though I am sure it was drenched in sarcasm. :wub:

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Jim Goodwin is reported to be “flabbergasted” in the papers today, that St Mirren were forced to play with their three keepers unavailable, and, of course, the standard “Scottish football will become a laughing stock”.

He should have picked up the phone to us - Porteous and Boyle seemed to have very good ball handling skills for outfield players......................................................actually maybe better handling than Zlamal 🤭🤭

1 hour ago, Green Day said:

He should have picked up the phone to us - Porteous and Boyle seemed to have very good ball handling skills for outfield players......................................................actually maybe better handling than Zlamal 🤭🤭

They could probably also have had McLaughlin given all the problems we caused him.

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Elbows Goodwin exposing himself as a moron should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

7 hours ago, Ric said:

That's a little bit disingenuous the way you represent that. Raith were able, should finances decree, to bring in a keeper should they wish. They chose not to, or were unwilling to, the situation here is that Goodwin was hamstrung by virus restrictions and testing so that avenue was not available to us or was at the very least extremely hampered. He has a list of keepers we could have brought in. Virus guidelines also stopped us playing a keeper that had provided a negative test. It's the very specific circumstances of this case that Goodwin is highlighting, not that just "in the round" the rules have been applied.

Also, afiaw, Goodwin never used the term "Scottish football will become a laughing stock". I could be wrong, I've not caught everything he's said to the media. What he did say was that the SPFL would have made a "mockery of the league" should they be forced to play an outfield player in goal. While, while perhaps open to debate, is not quite as hyperbolic as the quote you have proffered.

I would like to say, as a caveat, that from an objective point of view, I sort of chime with @invergowrie arab when they say it's "what the fans want to see". It brings the drama and box office element seeing an outfield player in goals. That is until it's your own team. I'm sure you took no joy watching Robbie Winters ship goals in a cup final.

I’m don’t see  my post as being disingenuous. Are you saying that it’s not always been the case that a game has to be played as long as a team has enough players regardless of what positions these players play in? Covid 19 or not Covid 19 there’s no difference in what St Mirren were instructed to do.

8 hours ago, Ric said:

Raith were able, should finances decree, to bring in a keeper should they wish. They chose not to, or were unwilling to,

Eric Drysdale who was our CEO at the time and was on various SPFL committees and was paid to know the rules and only had to pick up the phone for clarification claimed he didn't know the rule existed to get an emergency keeper.

He's now club secretary at Dundee, good luck to them.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Eric Drysdale who was our CEO at the time and was on various SPFL committees and was paid to know the rules and only had to pick up the phone for clarification claimed he didn't know the rule existed to get an emergency keeper.

That probably explains why that email vote didnt arrive a few months ago.............................

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

In fairness Stevo pulled off a cracking save in the first minute and we scraped a 1-0 win.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I’m don’t see  my post as being disingenuous.

I said "a little bit" not that it was entirely, and in the way I laid out. You were trying to make the claim that Goodwin was making the case that Scottish football is a laughing stock, which I don't believe he said, and compared it to the Raith Rovers situation and I detailed why that wasn't the case.

It's not a big deal, I'm not trashing your post, just felt it needed a bit of adjustment.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I said "a little bit" not that it was entirely, and in the way I laid out. You were trying to make the claim that Goodwin was making the case that Scottish football is a laughing stock, which I don't believe he said, and compared it to the Raith Rovers situation and I detailed why that wasn't the case.

It's not a big deal, I'm not trashing your post, just felt it needed a bit of adjustment.

Ok, that’s certainly fair. However, three different newspapers reporting on their back pages that Jim Goodwin said that Scottish football was in danger of becoming the laughing stock of world football.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Ok, that’s certainly fair. However, three different newspapers reporting on their back pages that Jim Goodwin said that Scottish football was in danger of becoming the laughing stock of world football.

And as I say, he very well may have said those exact words, I've not followed every comment he's made. He's certainly suggested it was making a mockery of the league, but that's different. Perhaps I could be accused of semantics there.

With the media, you know how they go, in fact for an example we had a poster above citing Leitch as saying there was categorically no fans at football until October, which if you read the papers you'd think that's what he said, however what he actually said was tangibly different (or at least based on the direct quotes of his I could find).

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Off The Ball had a good bit on the 'laughing stock of world football' nonsense today.

I don't listen to the show, but if they had Goodwin actually saying those words, then fair play I'll hold my hands up and apologies to KingJoey. :)

Edited by Ric

On 12/09/2020 at 20:11, Bob in Denny said:

oops..

Give him the benefit as more likely Dortmund official mistake

pl.jpg.f975b264aeddfe934e78ef2d6beaaf32.jpg

Can't believe the number of people who get that wrong here.

Place in Carluke, no longer there but had a sign above the window ( I can't remember the actual name) but was something like Alexs Pizza's - tbf it is hard to be that wrong.