The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, tam the bud said:

BBC still quoting Andrew Dallas as the ref for last night Saints v Rangers cup game  :lol:

Did he take the 4th official place last night after pulling out of the game  ?

No, they phoned someone up locally to cover the 4th official role.

9 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55245409

What a bizarre article.

A classic example of a leading headline, collecting some stats and vaguely relevant quotes to create a narrative and not even concluding on anything. Let's hope they produce something equally as pointless for Hearts.

"Shadow of the 10"
Good title for a novel.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Speirs going full Partridge/yer da

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Epl3w7qXcAcTBc3?format=jpg&name=medium

That really is some take from Speirs. A guy who, at every turn, tries his utmost to come across as some intellectual heavyweight amongst Scottish footballs pool of 2 figure I.Q. journalists, asking if there is a ‘cultural or biological’ reason for the standard of women goalkeepers. What could he possibly be insinuating with the ‘cultural’ comment?

I remember when those same sort of comments were aimed at African goalkeepers, 10-15 years ago, that for some biological reason Africans couldn’t play that position competently. Fast forward to the current day and you’ve got numerous African ‘keepers playing at the highest level all across Europe. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

I realise its not a Premiership thing, but Tom English preview of the Scottish Cup final is a thing to behold.

He is obviously still tugging his wee chubby for Budge and he merry band of Jambo freedom fighters....................

"The anger of the summer remains. Truth be told, it will never go away for many Hearts supporters. It was bad enough that they had to watch their team perform so dismally, but to have a chance of redemption taken from them when the season was called early was an insult added to an injury."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55368730

19 minutes ago, Green Day said:

I realise its not a Premiership thing, but Tom English preview of the Scottish Cup final is a thing to behold.

He is obviously still tugging his wee chubby for Budge and he merry band of Jambo freedom fighters....................

"The anger of the summer remains. Truth be told, it will never go away for many Hearts supporters. It was bad enough that they had to watch their team perform so dismally, but to have a chance of redemption taken from them when the season was called early was an insult added to an injury."

:lol:

They'll have the last laugh when they stop Celtic completing an "unprrecedented quadrruple trreble" (copyright Tommy 'brothers and sisters' Sheridan).

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

:lol:

They'll have the last laugh when they stop Celtic completing an "unprrecedented quadrruple trreble" (copyright Tommy 'brothers and sisters' Sheridan).

Hearts going with the X drew with Y and we beat X, so we must be better than Y too logic.

Is that where they also get the 'they're a Premiership team playing in the Championship' patter. Which is quite ironic, because last season they were a Premiership team relegated to the Championship because they weren't good enough to be playing in the Premiership.

What has he said that's wrong?

Spiers going properly off the deep end tonight.

He just always has to turn himself into a victim doesn't he?

I have no idea at all why some fairly credible people within Scottish football give him the time of day. He's always been a little worm.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Hope Solo channeling Carnoustie YG in her comeback there. It's funny how nobody gripes about journalists never having played when they're being complimentary.

I think Hope Solo's point is about the type of criticism Spiers is making. It's one thing to say "Women goalkeepers are underdeveloped because of a lack of resources and training" (true), but it's a totally different thing to say "There is a biological reason why women cannot be good goalkeepers" (false).

One of those makes you look like you've thought a wee bit about why this is happening. The other makes you look like an idiot.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

I think Hope Solo's point is about the type of criticism Spiers is making. It's one thing to say "Women goalkeepers are underdeveloped because of a lack of resources and training" (true), but it's a totally different thing to say "There is a biological reason why women cannot be good goalkeepers" (false).

One of those makes you look like you've thought a wee bit about why this is happening. The other makes you look like an idiot.

Hmmm..... Hope Solo is on the right side of this, but I'm not sure about what you are saying. It seems to me like she's saying he can't criticise goalkeepers because he isn't one, which is a nonsense take whenever it's (frequently) made

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Hmmm..... Hope Solo is on the right side of this, but I'm not sure about what you are saying. It seems to me like she's saying he can't criticise goalkeepers because he isn't one, which is a nonsense take whenever it's (frequently) made

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong here, but you seem to be saying that Hope Solo is both right and talking shite?

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong here, but you seem to be saying that Hope Solo is both right and talking shite?

Lining up against Speirs is the correct stance. But her method in this case is nonsense. She is right to be nailing for it, but she needs to do it better.

Exactly, she's almost saying that Spiers's point would have been valid had his name been Jim Leighton.

Spiers was uttering nonsense. I would say he gave Solo an open goal in terms of a response but having been neither a professional footballer nor journalist I probably shouldn't complete that analogy.