The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

23 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55454791

Alas 🤔...

Linlithgow Rose Football Club are a Scottish football club based in Linlithgow, West Lothian. The team plays in the East of Scotland Football League Premier Division, the sixth tier of Scottish football, having moved from the junior leagues in 2018.[1]
Senior football

The club moved to the East of Scotland Football League at the end of season 2017-18, along with many other East Region junior clubs.[1] In their first season as a senior club, they finished second in Conference C to ensure their place in the Premier Division.

Edinburgh City used to get described as "amateurs" quite often when we played in the Scottish Cup as an East of Scotland team.

This was news to our treasurer who paid out players' wages each week...

Even in an obituary to Jim McLean, the Guardian's resident golfist can't help himself in inserting complete and utter drivel:

On the day McLean died, Rangers were praised for edging out Hibernian and Celtic lauded for swaggering past Hamilton. The huge financial advantages enjoyed by the Glasgow clubs mean Scotland’s top flight is essentially non-competitive before a ball is kicked. It is not the fault of supporters for failing to recognise the broader context but they have been conditioned to ignore it. In McLean’s pomp, the Scottish game was far more compelling.

Yep, when will the sheeple who follow Scottish football break out of their false consciousness that the league is contested between twelve evenly resourced teams every season? Show us the way out of the darkness oh London-based sage!

IMG_1730.jpg.503ad6f38e542a53da7aeb96cba4ec6a.jpg

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
21 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
Out of interest, unless they're injured there's McGregor and Davis but are there others?

Well there will be some who won league titles coming up from inception to Premiership. Tavernier was certainly there for some

In defence of Keevins, which is not a phrase I thought I'd hear me utter, he likely meant to say major winners medal - the Petrolcap Cup and various seaside honours don't count.*

* They do, but not when having a poke at Sevco.

In defence of Keevins, which is not a phrase I thought I'd hear me utter, he likely meant to say major winners medal - the Petrolcap Cup and various seaside honours don't count.*
* They do, but not when having a poke at Sevco.
Aye but as was correctly pointed out, McGregor and Davis have already flushed his point down the pan anyway.

Tavernier just adds further weight to the argument.

I suspect you are right and he was just being lazy, even by Scottish football journo standards

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Edinburgh City used to get described as "amateurs" quite often when we played in the Scottish Cup as an East of Scotland team.

This was news to our treasurer who paid out players' wages each week...

Maybe more to do with the style of play.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:
19 hours ago, AJF said:
Hugh Keevins getting things spectacularly wrong when talking about Conor Hazard.
image.thumb.png.4f1d48e31690b9709b4b35f331f3b53d.png

Out of interest, unless they're injured there's McGregor and Davis but are there others?

The original article in the Sunday Mail mentioned other than those two so looks like shite editing on the website. Weirdly his entire column was printed twice yesterday in the paper so think the entire department have been on the piss over Christmas.

On 16/12/2020 at 20:54, craigkillie said:

This is perhaps the least surprising thing I've read all day.

I can't find the tweets now but I am interested in this wee beef we have brewing here. What's the deal? Grant giving his missus a job seemed to raise a few questions when it happened. 

Listened to the Sportsound podcast this morning (from Sunday’s programme) and heard Malpas calling Jim McLean a better tactician than Ferguson or Stein (he played under all three, so will accept that) and then Lovenkrands talking about the title race, and blowing a big lead in the Bundesliga when he was with Schalke.

Buy a Daily Record today and the back page has the Malpas quote and the Lovenkrands title warning.

Insightful stuff - just lifting the previous day’s Sportsound.

21 hours ago, AJF said:

Hugh Keevins getting things spectacularly wrong when talking about Conor Hazard.

21 hours ago, G51 said:

He really should just stick to what he's good at - winding people up on Clyde.

out of interest is it only McGregor who makes this wrong?

35 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Listened to the Sportsound podcast this morning (from Sunday’s programme) and heard Malpas calling Jim McLean a better tactician than Ferguson or Stein (he played under all three, so will accept that) and then Lovenkrands talking about the title race, and blowing a big lead in the Bundesliga when he was with Schalke.

Buy a Daily Record today and the back page has the Malpas quote and the Lovenkrands title warning.

Insightful stuff - just lifting the previous day’s Sportsound.

That's what happens now.
Seen stories and such lifted from fans podcasts anaw.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I can't find the tweets now but I am interested in this wee beef we have brewing here. What's the deal? Grant giving his missus a job seemed to raise a few questions when it happened. 

No "beef" as such, just that she is very negative about women's football (and gender equality in football in general) and also doesn't seem to have a filter when it comes to making comments that might hurt or offend someone.

Sunday's Sportsound was some real catr crash radio. Apart from the Malpas  F Bomb and the ill  advised McQueen segment it's worth going back to listen to Chick' s tribute to Jim McLean from the foreword he had written to some book.

A more clumsy, jarring, horrible piece of writing you would struggle to find 

Edited by invergowrie arab